Thoughts from 9/3

Hi Guys!

I went on Indiana Jones today and was saddened at how it is only a shell of it's former self. I mean that ride use to jerk you around SO much more than it does now. So that got me thinking, should they create 2 different experiences. One like it is now and one like it use to be, "rugged". Kind of like what they did with Mission Space over at Epcot. It's a fairly easy process to do. The line is already set up for it. They have 2 loading docks and all they have to do is program the ride vehicles to 2 different experiences.Please give me your honest opinions or suggestions about this because Im seriously considering running this by Bob Weis. I know he doesn't run Disneyland but thats the only person our family knows who can somewhat get this done. An with the refurb and new movie coming soon, there isn't a better time to do this. Also did anybody notice that the projections on the castle are back up and running for RDCT. But the lasers are broken.

• In Mouse We trust

Re: Thoughts from 9/3

I think it is a good idea.

Indy: Temple of Doom (Red or Blue)

Yes - the queue splits before it goes upstairs to cross over one of the loading lanes. It would be trivial to implement a fast or easy choice for guests. I like the idea!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

IMO it is a much better ride now that you don't get jerked around so much...

• I'm not really here

The ride sequence is more or less randomized. There are well over 160,000 combinations of moves that can be made. I have ridden it twice in a row and had a ride so rough it would have woken even Snow White followed by a ride that would put the undead to rest.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

This is one of those great logical ideas that will sadly never become reality. The old version of Indy was just too rough (ie effective) and apparently you can't have that kind of jostling in a Disneyland ride. The lawyers loved it though.

I thought the 160,000+ combinations were thrown out the window when the jeeps were tamed.

• Minion

To get a really rough ride, ride in the last row.

I do not ride Indy due to the roughness. The whipping motion causes major headaches for me.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• "I Break Things"

I also want to point out that due to a variety of things it is nearly impossible to predict which car will arrive on which side UNLESS the Return button is pressed due to a passenger having a disability.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The ruggedness was changed due to whiplash lawsuits. While you may be able to handle the roughness, it doesn't mean you won't ask for time off work and pain & suffering damages because of your sore neck.

You not enjoying it as much as you did 10 years ago is a small price to pay as opposed to the cost for liability insurance.

Chad

• Space Fanatic

I'm not sure that would be such a great idea. For one, the ride was originally toned down for reason. We wouldn't want those reasons stirring up more trouble again. Second, the ridership for the lines may be drastically skewed. The majority of people would most likely want the "rough" ride and the line for that would be considerably longer. As of now both lines move equally. With only one side running for the "rough" ride, the capacity would greatly diminish.

• Senior Minion

In the current form IJA is in I find it to be a very rough ride. I get jerked around quite a bit, and would think that if it was restored to what it was before ... I wouldn't be riding it.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by TIS17 View Post
    Hi Guys!

all they have to do is program the ride vehicles to 2 different experiences.
    That's all they would have to do eh?

An interesting idea, just not very practical...please refer to techskip's post for reasons why.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Pathetically Obsessed

Great idea if the technical implementation could be worked out. I have a pretty severe back problem, so I'd actually appreciate being offered the more tame experience.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

You're already offered the tame experience. The idea is to get the original rough ride experience back.

• white and nerdy

Can anyone give any empirical proof that the ride was changed at all?

I've heard people say over and over that "It feels way tamer" than it used to be, but I take issue with that. The human experience is so very relative it is unreliable. It may feel tamer, but chances are that's more to do with your perception rather than the ride itself. Even gaining a familiarity with the track would cause your body to unconsciously react to the turns better giving a feeling of a smother ride.

I've heard CMs say it has been changed, but I don't trust it. CMs, especially the front end CMs, are like mushrooms: they are kept in the dark and fed SH**.

I've read opinion pieces in the newspapers saying they tamed the ride down, but again, based on personal experience.

Can someone give me either a statement from Disney or other proof that says they changed the ride up? I can't tell the difference between then and now. I'll admit they did if I can find real proof, but I can't find any.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert