• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking If Only Disneyland had a Daily Disneyland Newspaper in the Parks

It'd be nice to know that a Disneyland newspaper was printed every day in the parks detailing park happenings, interviews with Disney characters, their own ads, secret agenda to get you to visit WDW after visiting Disneyland, stories about guests in the parks and their experiences, Cast Member interviews and stories, stories and articles about the past years of Disneyland, comic strips, etc..

Yes I know most of the newspapers will end up as trash around the park but hopefully they'll place an recycling bins for the discarded newspapers and place ads in the papers encouraging people to recycle and where to go in the park to recycle the papers...

What do you think about this idea or has it been done before...
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: If Only Disneyland had a Daily Disneyland Newspaper in the Parks

I do not think this would appeal to the average tourist/guest visiting the park for the first time or who only comes once every few years. Maybe the passholders would appreciate it, but I think that's about it.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Well, they already have the guides you get at the front gate that have up to date news about shows or special events happening inside the park. And passholders recieve that newsletter in the mail every so often. I think that's sort of like the newspaper idea you're talking about.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Well, now that you mention it, someone did think of a daily newspaper for Disneyland. You may have heard the name, I think.....

Walt Disney!

Walt wanted a daily paper for the park and hired another guy you may have heard of, Mary Sklaar, to run said newspaper. They did publish the paper for a while in the 50's but came up with the idea of the guide, similar to what you see when you enter the park today.

Just FYI.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

I would rather see a monthly version of said paper, and encourage the users to use the recycling bins.

• Still lost in Neverland

There was a daily newspaper printed at Disneyland for about a year or so after it opened. Not only that, but it was sold by "Newsboys" in proper dress. Two to three boys would walk around Main Street and sell the paper for a dime. It was pretty cool, and those that survived are worth a lot of $$ today. They are rare because they were printed on newsprint paper which, unless sealed in plastic acid free sleeves, don't survive too well, if at all. Sometimes one or two will show up at a Disney Convention, and if you have to ask the price - you can't afford them/it. I wish I had saved the ones I bought when visiting the Park that first year.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

A daily paper would be a bit of a stretch to fill with new stuff every day but as already suggested a monthly one might be nice.

Also a return of the 'newsies' would be welcomed. Just as long as they don't start singing those bland Alan Menken songs!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Knight that says Nee!!

Perhaps a comprimse and it could be a "weekly" publication? I like the ideas that it could include interviews with CMs, characters and even guests.

With marketing seemingly having such a firm grasp on what happens in the parks nowadays, I would suspect the neat idea you have (would have fit nicely for the 50th, with the whole Marty Sklar nostalgia) would turn into a big ole advertisement for the never-ending Year of Million Dreams, or whatever the latest marketing ploy is.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Banned User

The monthly could be real ad supported (Honda, Kodak, Siemens, Coke, etc.) to offset the costs of the printing or have a reduced price, say $1.50.

• "I Break Things"

I had proposed it a few times before... put themed newstands in the various lands, which would also enhance the theme.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt View Post
    Well, now that you mention it, someone did think of a daily newspaper for Disneyland. You may have heard the name, I think.....

Walt Disney!

Walt wanted a daily paper for the park and hired another guy you may have heard of, Mary Sklaar, to run said newspaper. They did publish the paper for a while in the 50's but came up with the idea of the guide, similar to what you see when you enter the park today.

Just FYI.
    There was also a place in Frontierland I think where you could purchase souvenir Disney newspapers with your name printed into one of the articles.

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

But do you realize how nuts it would be when avid collectors will start paying $1000 for issues off of Ebay to complete their collection?? I'm just saying..

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    It'd be nice to know that a Disneyland newspaper was printed every day in the parks detailing park happenings, interviews with Disney characters, their own ads, secret agenda to get you to visit WDW after visiting Disneyland, stories about guests in the parks and their experiences, Cast Member interviews and stories, stories and articles about the past years of Disneyland, comic strips, etc..

Yes I know most of the newspapers will end up as trash around the park but hopefully they'll place an recycling bins for the discarded newspapers and place ads in the papers encouraging people to recycle and where to go in the park to recycle the papers...

What do you think about this idea or has it been done before...
    I'm not even going to read through this whole thread but I've never heard of this being done except by Marty in the early days- and it sounds like a fantastic idea. I think it would be a double win. Moderate pricing and a fun collectible!