Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Meh, whatever happens, happens. I'll just enjoy it for what it's worth. I think people will compare it to Disneyland way too much for it to be considered a 'success' on these boards.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Minion

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

It seems they are trying very hard to find loose connecting themes for concepts that have nothing to do with California (Ratatouille and Little Mermaid for example). And how many Pixar attractions will that make once all this is completed? Let's see, Bug's Land, Monsters, Inc...oh just about one from every film except the Incredibles and Finding Nemo (which can be found next door). While I enjoy the Pixar films, I think this is a bit much.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    They need to pick one or the other. In some areas it seems that California will become more prominent. In others, it seems that California will be dropped.
    Seems as if they have already chosen, just failed to acknowledge the choice. When was the last CA inspired attraction built? Seems it has been awhile. With the possible Carsland, and the definite Toy Story MidwayMania, with Monsters, Inc., Muppetvision, and Bug's Land it would appear that the die is already cast, and it doesn't look good for the California theme.

I still believe that a CA theme could have worked, but consistency has been lost with divergence after divergence; and apart from meaningless architectural appointments, DCA has less and less to do with CA as a whole.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    It seems they are trying very hard to find loose connecting themes for concepts that have nothing to do with California (Ratatouille and Little Mermaid for example). And how many Pixar attractions will that make once all this is completed? Let's see, Bug's Land, Monsters, Inc...oh just about one from every film except the Incredibles and Finding Nemo (which can be found next door). While I enjoy the Pixar films, I think this is a bit much.
    *cough*Turtle Talk*cough*
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    *cough*Turtle Talk*cough*
    Whoops! Totally forgot about Turtle Talk.

• Circle of Ancients

I like DCA now ... if it's better great. If not, I'll still enjoy the park.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I am taking the wait and see approach.. unlike many who believe every proposal at this stage... plus what on earth is exciting about a PREVIEW center? It's a nice thing to have... especially in a transition period.. but its not a long term park saver.. why that seems to be such a big hit is well.. underwelming to me.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Seems as if they have already chosen, just failed to acknowledge the choice. When was the last CA inspired attraction built? Seems it has been awhile. With the possible Carsland, and the definite Toy Story MidwayMania, with Monsters, Inc., Muppetvision, and Bug's Land it would appear that the die is already cast, and it doesn't look good for the California theme.

I still believe that a CA theme could have worked, but consistency has been lost with divergence after divergence; and apart from meaningless architectural appointments, DCA has less and less to do with CA as a whole.
    But they haven't chosen a side. That's the problem.

The park is still slated to get expensive re-theming of areas to enhance the California theming.

DCA is getting the Tomorrowland Effect, where they're slowly enhancing the theme on the outside, but inside the attractions no consideration to the area's theme is being taken.

I mean, Ratatouille on the Pier? Come on, it's just completely ridiculous.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    But they haven't chosen a side. That's the problem.

The park is still slated to get expensive re-theming of areas to enhance the California theming.

DCA is getting the Tomorrowland Effect, where they're slowly enhancing the theme on the outside, but inside the attractions no consideration to the area's theme is being taken.

I mean, Ratatouille on the Pier? Come on, it's just completely ridiculous.
    Basing my opinion on what I have seen, not what I haven't seen yet...

• Minion

Like many have mentioned, it seems that they are just adding E-ticket after E-ticket and ignoring the main theme of the park. The park's attraction count will get a huge boost, but the park itself will be a thematic mess.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Basing my opinion on what I have seen, not what I haven't seen yet...
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Like many have mentioned, it seems that they are just adding E-ticket after E-ticket and ignoring the main theme of the park. The park's attraction count will get a huge boost, but the park itself will be a thematic mess.
    A thematic mess? Oh you're too kind. Come on, you've seen the light - you've seen true thematic masterpieces at Tokyo Disney.

A thematic mess? No... DCA is and will continue to be a thematic disaster, if the plans and rumors floating around are realized.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

I don't know if I'd say that I'm "worried" about DCA's renovation being a massive success. More like "disappointed" with some of the things I've heard lately from Al's updates. Granted, Al isn't "God" or anybody like that, but he does tend to be spot-on about things.

Whatever happened to the train that was supposed to go around Grizzly Peak? And the panning for gold attraction? And the villians layover on Screamin'?

It just seems to me, as others have said, that Disney is trying to take the "easy" approach and plop movie related attractions into DCA without thinking about if their theme will match or not. I am hoping that the new "Little Mermaid" attraction will have more of a teaching people about California's sealife approach. However, I'm not counting on it.

I don't see why it would be so difficult to create an earthquake related attraction in the San Francisco area. Why not expand the Wharf area out into Paradise Pier and make the entire section Fisherman's Wharf? Then more S.F. related attractions could go into that area. The Golden Gate Bridge could be relocated with ease, Alcatraz could get placed somewhere near the lake, Mulholland Madness could get turned into Lombard Street, etc. It's not exactly rocket science.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

...Joe...

• Pirate - G'har!

Y'see I'm totally of the opposite viewpoint to those who think it should be an amusement park, I think DCA has lost only a little of its theme and should expand it further. DLR doesn't deserve an amusement park, it deserves a theme park showcasing a California people can't visit today, a California of the past re-living the great history and legend of the golden state! (maybe I should write for Disney's website). It has SO much potential, and no, it will never be like Disneyland but it was never meant to be. And that earthquake attraction sounds might fine... also a tram service would be great, and maybe an effect where every 15 minutes the ground vibrates and the area rumbles or something. Fun imagineering touches

•   

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Y'see I'm totally of the opposite viewpoint, I think DCA has lost only a little of its theme and should expand it further. DLR doesn't deserve an amusement park, it deserves a theme park showcasing a California people can't visit today, a California of the past re-living the great history and legend of the golden state! (maybe I should write for Disney's website). It has SO much potential, and no, it will never be like Disneyland but it was never meant to be
    (BOLD mine) Well, I think it was certainly a goal to make DCA like DL in regards to popularity, and to give it theming standards to uphold (though not the same set of standards by which DL is governed).

It appears that the temptation was too great, however, to include Pixar movie-attractions to strenghten DCA's attendance numbers, unfortunately though, at the expense of theme. The dismissal of the CA theme is wide-spread and pervasive in the DCA we see today.

Unlike DL, DCA's universal theme allows little latitude for thematic departure; and theming divergence at DCA is glaringly apparent--little or no room for error--a tough task (the building of a 'theme' park), made tougher by using a very strict standard. I like DCA and continue to visit every time I go to the Park, but every time I see it (my DLR trips are infrequent), I see less and less California.

• Pirate - G'har!

I mean it was never meant to be a similar animal or park ruling out direct comparisons. I think it can still retain its theme, it just needs, like you say, to be stricter. I think Route 66 is the perfect way to integrate Pixar into DCA with the Cars attraction, what a great idea, but they have to call it 'Carland' and not 'Route 66', the latter of which I'm sure anyone would say sounds better. Nemo or Ariel could be integrated if there was a section on CA sealife but not if they called it 'Finding Nemo: The Ride, featuring some crap about CA sealife'. EXACTLY the same goes for Midway Mania, I'm all for Pixar, even for the three ideas just mentioned as long as they are merely a presence in the rides to draw in crowds and not invasive of the theme or anything

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast