Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

As long as they keep restoring and enhancing Disneyland itself (my real passion), I'm content to be a Pollyanna about what happens at DCA - - after all, let's be glad that DCA can't get any worse than it was already....

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle?

At this point, with plans to add Ratatouille and The Little Mermaid, I hope that Disney completely drops the California theme. As it stands, the California theme is hemmoraging uncontrollably, and has essentially been rendered irrelevant over the last 6 years with additions like A Bug's Land, Monsters Inc, Block Party Bash, etc.

I do think a California theme could work. A real California theme. But Disney simply isn't willing to do it because the current WDI/Disney mentality when it comes to the Parks and Resorts means that everything MUST tie into a movie, and if it's Pixar, then your Christmas bonus will be even bigger.

But at this point, considering there has been no indication that the California theme is actually going to be dropped, or that the theme is actually going to be acknowledged and strengthened, then I'm not getting even remotely excited for any DCA plans.

I told somebody in another thread that I was going to enjoy breathing for the next decade while DCA gets its makeover, because I'm sure as hell not going to be holding my breath for anything remarkable.
    Originally Posted by kirbilicious:
    I'm personally still worried about the Little Mermaid dark ride. If all Al said comes true, it sounds as if the park will have better rides but be a thematic mess.
    Al Lutz reports that the the Golden Dreams attraction would be torn down and that only the Palace of Fine Arts dome would remain, and it would be used as the exit for a brand new Little Mermaid ride. He further reports that "this new Little Mermaid family dark ride would help strengthen the presence of San Francisco in a park supposedly about California, especially once they tear down the droopy Golden Gate Bridge out at the entrance. Currently the only real homage to San Francisco in the park is the Golden Dreams dome, a single Churro cart painted like a cable car, and the empty San Fran row houses across the way".
    I agree 100% with these two posts; where do I begin?

I am sure that we are all anxiously awaiting the installation of "The Little Mermaid" dark ride - but in San Francisco? (Did anyone anticipate that this would be something other than a Fantasyland offering once it made its way into a Disney Park?) How does this possibly 'strengthen the presence of San Francisco'? and why exit from "Under The Sea" through the Palace of Fine Arts dome? Then we add a (French) "Ratatouille" attraction, in conjunction with a (German) Beer Garden, factor in the anachronisms of a "Toy Story Mania" attraction in a Victorian-themed boardwalk and a "Monsters Inc" attraction in a 1930's Hollywood-at-its-heyday Area, and what becomes of the "California" Theme for Disney's California Adventure?
    It certainly begs the question: What do Bugs, Rats, Toys, Cars*, Monsters, and Mermaids have to do with the Golden State?
    *OK - not so far of a stretch with that one, but...
    In every Land slated to be 'fixed', they will be building / leaving a Pixar-based attraction to throw the Theme askew (even Tower of Terror - whose WDW / MGM original was based on a semi-fictional 'Hollywood Tower Hotel' - becomes suspect when it is closely themed to its soon-to-be-rethemed 'land', and less in line with its Pixar-based-attraction cousins).

As kirbilicious puts it: it all becomes a "thematic mess". I am standing by with MasterGracey on this subject: I will be getting some much needed air during the next decade, and won't be holding my breath either...
    Will DCA be re-christened "Pixar Studios"?
    or will these Pixar-based attractions be 'saved' for another Park, another day?

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Is it just me or has the Pixar attractions they have put in DCA kinda flopped? Ive been to A Bugs Land maybe 4 times since its opened. And Monster's Inc? I dont think ive ever waited longer than10 min for that ride. I think the only reason Finding Nemo is popular is because the subs are back in motion.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Progressive Disneylander

I think it would be smart for everyone to keep their expectations in check. One of the reasons so many people soured on DCA in the first place is because DCA did not live up to their high expectations.

Sometimes I think what should be fun and exciting is ruined by folks who want to over-think it all. It's a theme park that is supposed to be about having fun first and foremost. Instead, DCA topics are often discussed in MiceChat in the same fashion that other people talk about the war in Iraq.

I just think there is a lot to be optimistic about concerning DCA's future and no matter what is done during the overhaul, DCA will be considerably better when the dust settles.
    Last edited by KISSman; 09-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

At what point do they suck it up and call it Walt Disney's Land of Adventure. Everything they have done recently and plan on doing has little or nothing to do with California. Having a California theme only really stifles your creativity. Perhaps, Walt's Disney and his Pixar friends proudly introduce Lands of Adventure! Not catchy but a heck of a lot more accurate.

Chad

Not worried here...Hakuna Matata...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

[B]At this point, with plans to add Ratatouille and The Little Mermaid, I hope that Disney completely drops the California theme.
    Yes! Then instead of calling it Disney's California Adventure it can be Disney's Cartoon adventure!!! That way they at least won't have to change the acronym!

Geeze... maybe thats what they should of done in the first place.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    At what point do they suck it up and call it Walt Disney's Land of Adventure. Everything they have done recently and plan on doing has little or nothing to do with California. Having a California theme only really stifles your creativity. Perhaps, Walt's Disney and his Pixar friends proudly introduce Lands of Adventure! Not catchy but a heck of a lot more accurate.

Chad
    I guess "Pixar's Land Of 'Toon Zoology" (PLOTZ) just never took off...

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    4 > They need to pick one or the other. In some areas it seems that California will become more prominent. In others, it seems that California will be dropped.
    Agree 100%. It could work either way, but not both ways at the same time, with different parts of the park moving in opposite directions.

About the proposed rides:

Little Mermaid could work if they make an elegant transition from San Francisco to 'Under the Sea'. It's not a perfect fit, but I won't complain. I don't much like the idea of exiting through the Palace of Fine Arts though. That just doesn't make any sense.

Ratatouille belongs in DL. They need a 'France' corner in Fantasyland anyway.

Unless..

Monsters already blows the theme for that corner of HPB... if the want to cram a bunch of Pixar rides into DCA, they should make that section into Pixar Place or Plaza or whatever, like they're doing at the Studios at WDW.

It would be a bit of a tangent to the Hollywood/Movies theme of the rest of HPB, but close enough.

They should just name it:
    Disney's Hodepodge of Off The Shelf Carnival and Disney/Pixar Rides With No Real Theming, or DHOSCDPRWNRT for short.

And if that's too much of a mouthful:
    Disneyotherland.

Ratatouille belongs in DL. They need a 'France' corner in Fantasyland anyway.
    Nah, just stick it into New Orleans Square () since New Orleans is pretty French. Just say that the rats were stowaways on a ship from Paris to New Orleans, that was transporting various imported French goodies for the French-food-eating New Orlean'ers. (My tongue is in my cheek, but seriously, if we *must* have a Ratatouille freaking ride, than this land makes the most sense of all of 'em).

• Minion

no its going to be great i can feel it in the air!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

But they haven't chosen a side. That's the problem.

The park is still slated to get expensive re-theming of areas to enhance the California theming.

DCA is getting the Tomorrowland Effect, where they're slowly enhancing the theme on the outside, but inside the attractions no consideration to the area's theme is being taken.

I mean, Ratatouille on the Pier? Come on, it's just completely ridiculous.
    Maybe the movie was based in Perris, CA. Ya I have nothing

• Hooterville, USA

I know I've been losing sleep just thinking about it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    Maybe the movie was based in Perris, CA. Ya I have nothing
    Does Perris have a 1000' tall tower too?

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Does Perris have a 1000' tall tower too?
    It might, it's been over 6 years since I was ast there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast