Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Pirate - G'har!

Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle?

Ok, we all know the attention DCA is getting and we all know this can't be a bad thing...or can it? First of all, I'm not DCA bashing, TDA bashing, DLR bashing or general abbreviated-things bashing, I'm just not only being pessemistic and playing devil's advocate.

What if...

I think DCA could really work, I mean really work and by a diverse (which I think it already is) interesting, big park which has big appeal, especially for tourists. But what if it doesn't work out? My main concern is Pixar. Pixar pixar pixar. I'm sure this has crossed the minds of all micechatters. Is it too much? Or is that a stupid question? A Bug's Land kinda frustrated me at first, I mean, when has CA been famous for, uh, bugs? What relevance has it to the theme? But it was only a little land and while I still hope for a bit of a retheme it probably won't happen. Then Monsters Inc. Okay only one ride but why in Hollywood Pictures Backlot? At least Superstar Limo made thematic sense and was fun though totally had the ability to be instantly outdated. Next up comes Toy Story Mania. I may be wrong on this one, but it got its name changed from Midway Mania. Now, in my opinion, Midway Mania is a good, original not too 'WE ARE PIXAR!!!' name that fits nicely with paradise pier... but Toy Story Mania? Baaaaaad move. Fair enough in MGM as it will be in Pixar place and all.

Next up comes Carland, and another case of unfortunate naming. What the heck is wrong with Route 66? Why must they use a simply horrible generic name like Carland that bears no relevance to CA and also is the only something-land in the whole park (not counting a Bug's Land). Route 66 is enduring, not 'we are pixar' and fitting with the theme.

My basic gripe is that the plans are good but Pixar's presence is being overdone. I've probably missed out a ton of things but these are all I can think of right now. These rides/land should blend in thematically with the rest of the park and fair enough, have Pixar but don't destroy the theme because of it.

Side note: Just a bit of armchair imagineering. I know lots have said how DCA doesn't have much appeal to Californians as they are within driving distance of some of those places, which is something I think DCA can easily take into account. I think the solution is simply to create the California of yesterday, ie the 1920s transport hub, the golden age of Hollywood or whatever, make it a california people can't visit or at least a highly stylised reality, and that, I don't think, would be incredibly difficult.

• =)

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

I'm neither getting my hopes too high nor being particularly pessimistic about the changes. If they're done well, I'll be seeing a lot more of DCA. If not, things will continue as they are--I'll occasionally venture into the second gate so I can enjoy Soarin', Screamin', and/or Tower of Terror while trying to ignore the theming en route.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Re: Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Some people need to worry about something. Why not DCA?

I'm just happy that it's getting some love. It needs it. I won't say anything is an improvement, but I like the ideas being put forth and trust the Imagineers now that the accountant don't run the place ala Eisner.

Look what the Imagineers did with DisneySeas. They had the budget and pulled it off. Now I'm not saying they have all the money they want for DCA, but it's not a nickel and dime approach either.

I guess I'm taking my typical 'wait and see' approach on this one.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Minion

I'm personally still worried about the Little Mermaid dark ride. If all Al said comes true, it sounds as if the park will have better rides but be a thematic mess.

• "I Break Things"

I am more concerned with budget cuts then anything else. Disney doesn't have a great track record on delivering large budgets... even if it is publically announced they tend to start cutting back as time goes by. While I look forward to a new DCA, I am still a realist and realize that there is a limit to what can and will be done.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• That Guy

No, I am more worried about the environment, our soldiers, homelessness, etc. The DCA remodel is kind of low on my list of things to worry about.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I think cautiously optimistic perfectly suits my thoughts. I'm sure 95% of MiceChat wish it well. The other 5% are missing the parking lot.

Chad

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

No
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can thematically 'tie' DCA together. Its departures from 'theme' are far too many at this point in its history. I brought this up in another thread, but I think it bears discussion, possibly, in this forum as well. DCA operates under a constrictive universal theme, and Disneyland does not. The comparisons to Disneyland are unfair. I am beginning to think it may be in DCA's best interest to dispense with the California theme (as it doesn't adhere much to it, in any case), and let DCA become what it really has already become: a loosely knit amusement park; and focus on the entertainment value of each individual attraction, instead of shoe-horning in attractions that either don't fit thematically, or don't entertain because of the constrictive nature of the universal theme.

• =)

I am beginning to think it may be in DCA's best interest to dispense with the California theme (as it doesn't adhere much to it, in any case), and let DCA become what it really has already become: a loosely knit amusement park; and focus on the entertainment value of each individual attraction, instead of shoe-horning in attractions that either don't fit thematically, or don't entertain because of the constrictive nature of the universal theme.
    You know, I was never able to think of DCA quite that way...and now that you've said it, I think you're right.

• Senior Minion

Honestly DCA isn't perfect, but I do enjoy some of the offerings there. With the new plans coming about I am hoping to have more things to do so I'm looking forward to it - plus I don't have ANY expectations in regards to the changes being good or bad.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Does anyone get worried that DCA's revival isn't going to be the expected miracle

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Unfortunately, there is nothing that can thematically 'tie' DCA together. Its departures from 'theme' are far too many at this point in its history. I brought this up in another thread, but I think it bears discussion, possibly, in this forum as well. DCA operates under a constrictive universal theme, and Disneyland does not. The comparisons to Disneyland are unfair. I am beginning to think it may be in DCA's best interest to dispense with the California theme (as it doesn't adhere much to it, in any case), and let DCA become what it really has already become: a loosely knit amusement park; and focus on the entertainment value of each individual attraction, instead of shoe-horning in attractions that either don't fit thematically, or don't entertain because of the constrictive nature of the universal theme.
    At this point, with plans to add Ratatouille and The Little Mermaid, I hope that Disney completely drops the California theme. As it stands, the California theme is hemmoraging uncontrollably, and has essentially been rendered irrelevant over the last 6 years with additions like A Bug's Land, Monsters Inc, Block Party Bash, etc.

I do think a California theme could work. A real California theme. But Disney simply isn't willing to do it because the current WDI/Disney mentality when it comes to the Parks and Resorts means that everything MUST tie into a movie, and if it's Pixar, then your Christmas bonus will be even bigger.

It's a sad truth.

But at this point, considering there has been no indication that the California theme is actually going to be dropped, or that the theme is actually going to be acknowledged and strengthened, then I'm not getting even remotely excited for any DCA plans.

I told somebody in another thread that I was going to enjoy breathing for the next decade while DCA gets its makeover, because I'm sure as hell not going to be holding my breath for anything remarkable.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt View Post
    Look what the Imagineers did with DisneySeas. They had the budget and pulled it off. Now I'm not saying they have all the money they want for DCA, but it's not a nickel and dime approach either.
    4 > 2. I don't buy that this will be DisneySea the Second. Good, but not nearly as cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    But at this point, considering there has been no indication that the California theme is actually going to be dropped, or that the theme is actually going to be acknowledged and strengthened, then I'm not getting even remotely excited for any DCA plans.
    They need to pick one or the other. In some areas it seems that California will become more prominent. In others, it seems that California will be dropped.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    No, I am more worried about the environment, our soldiers, homelessness, etc. The DCA remodel is kind of low on my list of things to worry about.
    I'm more worried about the Arizona Cardinals and Matt Leinart's social life, along with what time Glen Campbell will finally "get to Phoenix".

I agree with the concept that they need to re-think the park's whole premise. From day one I thought it was stupid to build a park about California, in the middle of it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    They need to pick one or the other. In some areas it seems that California will become more prominent. In others, it seems that California will be dropped.
    I agree. I don't understand why theyre playing this ridiculous game with the theme. They need to pick one and stick with it. DCA shouldn't become Tomorrowland '98 Part 2.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast