• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Anyone know about why...

...ToT's Alpha shaft is down? A friend told me that it was going to be down for a while and that it was a technical thing, then that he "couldn't tell any more than that"....Anyone know what's up? It's really bothering me, probably just because he wouldn't tell me. Thanks for any info anyone can give!
    dreams. come. true.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: Anyone know about why...

Maybe it's haunted?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They probably don't people freaking out and passing wild rumors on the Internet over a minor safety concern that they'll fix and make go away normally.

NOTE - I am Not a Disney CM, I have no inside knowledge at all other than an operational understanding of how elevators work (and some time riding on the top of several elevator cars with an elevator repairman, in the pits and the machine rooms, fixing electrical problems) so the following is PURE SPECULATION regarding ToT:

There are a few things that are unique to ToT, like the seats and seatbelts, the show lighting and sound elements - but most of it is a high speed passenger traction elevator on steroids.

So it could be something simple like one of the wire rope lift cables started to fray and they caught it - there are multiple cables so it certainly isn't going to fail suddenly, but if one of the 8 or 10 parallel cables has problems they have to shut down the shaft and change them all at the same time. And it takes time to replace them all and get them all tensioned the same and ready to go.

Or another part of a normal elevator that can be a problem - the traveling cables between the shaft and car for power and controls (basically a 100-wire extension cord in a big loop), the car location and velocity sensors on the sides of the shaft and car (tape sensor type or vanes and sensor), the door operator mechanisms or the door interlock linkages...

And this is why they put multiple elevators in larger buildings, so they can shut one down for maintenance or repairs without affecting the rest.

The biggest kick so far was the Circa 1930's basement machine traction elevator in a Condo near Wilshire and Highland. 7 stops (B through 6) 6-passenger car, only two ropes. Still running the original relay controls.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Maye they're testing other drop sequences?

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

They have been testing the drop profile off and on for a while. During the off season they shut it down and test when it is slow.
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    Maybe it's haunted?
    No, that's the Charlie shaft. Specifically, uppsers charlie, which is my favorite
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

Or possibly simply Preventive Maintenance scheduled for the off-season lull (such as it is) between end-of-summer and the holidays. Cycling between shafts.

They do the Soarin' theaters on such a basis.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

isn't the TOT without cables, because when you enter your not in the shaft yet, it rolls back a bit, and then your in the shaft...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

The found the other foot/leg in the shaft...(that goes along with the other one that's in cage-thingy underneath one of the stairwells)...

• Golden Dreamer!

Other Cm's have told us that it is a problem with some backstage problems. It is basically a generator error and that it should be fixed when tower goes down for maintence.