Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland Fanatic

November trip- flying into LAX, is this a bad idea?

Here is my dilemma-

We are taking our annual pre-Thanksgiving trip from San Francisco. We always drive.

Last year, there was a huge accident the Wednesday before Thanksgiving which is the day we always leave DL. It took us 13 HOURS to get home!

So I was researching cheap airfare and found $39 each way southwest from SFO to LAX. My dates are available.

So, the question is:
    is the trek from LAX to DL (we are staying on property) as horrible as I hear?
    Do you know how much a cab is from LAX to GCH? (there are 2 adults and 2 kids)

I first thought we can take the DL express bus. Then I thought what the heck and looked into a town car and that would be about $100 each way, but that's through SupperShuttle and they scare me LOL.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable, inexpensive car service they can recommend? I know, I'm asking too much, aren't I?

thanks in advance!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: November trip- flying into LAX, is this a bad idea?

I prefer the Disneyland Express, quick, effecent and they go non-stop from LAX to the Disneyland Hotel.

Cheap, in fact, you can find a coupon at this link...

http://graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

A taxi is about $100 each way, depending on traffic.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

$39 is a great deal. But if you can avoid LAX, for a Disneyland trip I highly recommend flying into John Wayne. But you will be paying considerably more than $39.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I would suggest researching the costs to fly into John Wayne. Then decide between the John Wayne flight and the LAX flight(plus transportation costs and loss of time) on which one works best for your family. I've had it take over an hour to get from LAX to DL due to traffic and had it take less, its a roll of the dice.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Mom View Post
    Here is my dilemma-

We are taking our annual pre-Thanksgiving trip from San Francisco. We always drive.

Last year, there was a huge accident the Wednesday before Thanksgiving which is the day we always leave DL. It took us 13 HOURS to get home!

So I was researching cheap airfare and found $39 each way southwest from SFO to LAX. My dates are available.

So, the question is:
    is the trek from LAX to DL (we are staying on property) as horrible as I hear?
    Do you know how much a cab is from LAX to GCH? (there are 2 adults and 2 kids)

I first thought we can take the DL express bus. Then I thought what the heck and looked into a town car and that would be about $100 each way, but that's through SupperShuttle and they scare me LOL.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable, inexpensive car service they can recommend? I know, I'm asking too much, aren't I?

thanks in advance!
    OH man I remember that accident. TRUST ME the drive over the 5 was just as bad but NO ACCIDENT! Took me like 4 hours to get from Disneyland to Santa Clarita. I checked into a hotel and watched the rest on the news. Wasn't much better the next morning. Once over the grape vine things went fast until some jerk face TOTALED MY VAN!!
    Janette

• Senior Minion

I'm going with the consensus of checking out the flights going to John Wayny (SNA in airport "code"). It is much easier to get through there as well since it isn't an international airport.

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    OH man I remember that accident. TRUST ME the drive over the 5 was just as bad but NO ACCIDENT! Took me like 4 hours to get from Disneyland to Santa Clarita. I checked into a hotel and watched the rest on the news. Wasn't much better the next morning. Once over the grape vine things went fast until some jerk face TOTALED MY VAN!!
    oh no what a bummer!! yes, it was a nightmare...

Thank you all for your advise. I have some soul searching to do LOL - I mean, decisions to take. I wished I hadn't seen that airfare

Check with Carey Limo Service 800-297-5466

I also don't like Super Shuttle, if the Sedan transfer with Carey is too much, check with Primetime Shuttle service. http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/
    Last edited by MegaDisney; 09-05-2007 at 04:09 PM.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Old Timer

The evening of the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the worse traffic days in L.A. And LAX can be a zoo. However, if you leave Wednesday morning for LAX, the traffic is actually light. I drove a UCLA vanpool past LAX for ten years.
    And I have heard nothing but good about the Disneyland Express bus.

• Banned User

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a high speed monorail going between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and between Los Angeles and Disneyland?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

we fly into LAX every time we come down (5-7times a year) and have never had any problems. i actually prefer to fly into LAX becasae to fly into John Wayne we'd have to have a layover somewhere, LAX is a direct flight for us.

We always rent a car tho, so i can't help on the car/shuttle service question. But when we arrive we get our rental car, then its on the 105 to the 605 to the 91 to the 5 using carpool lanes when available, takes about 35mins for us to get from LAX to the parking structure
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

How about renting a car? wouldn't it be as cheap as all of you in a taxi, or a shuttle back and forth to the airpost ? I do john wayne, much closer. But the taxi is still pretty pricey. what ever you decide, I am so glad your going and staying on site, this is exciting. I can nto wait to see your pictures!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

renting a car can be very cheap..i'm getting a car from 9am friday till 5am monday from Alamo.com for 58$ using my Costco discount and a coupon they had available online. i like alamo becuase at LAX all i have to do is enter my info into their kiosk and i'm out the door, no need to deal with the pain in the hiney counter.

just remember, NEVER get the "insurance" the car rental place offers you, just call your regular car insurance company and add car rental replacement coverage for the days you'll have a rental..its much cheaper.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It will take 35 minutes to and from LAX if there is no traffic and you don't hit any accidents. And these days that is a big if. Otherwise you can count on it being a good 1 to even up to 2 hours in bad situations. And it looks like you are leaving the day before Thanksgiving? It can take more than a half hour sometimes especially on that day just to get around LAX itself! :-)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    no need to deal with the pain in the hiney counter.
    They have a hiney counter at LAX? I'd like that job. "1, 2, 3, 4...."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast