Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Off-season photos from around the DLR post Labor Day along with some sad news

A look around the parks from the first days of the off-season

First, a general album from Disneyland on September 4th

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3423981

A nice quiet park, much different than summer

Rode Space Mountain, they didn't even bother with a Fastpass queue, just one for everyone. They had the machines on, but they didn't make any difference in your wait time

Found an overflowing trashcan in the queue, near the boarding area of Space

Amazing to see that the Main Finding Nemo wasn't being totally used, about a 45 minute wait in the afternoon

Found a cute little mouse in the Matterhorn queue

Storybook Land and Casey's Jr. are closed for refurb

River Belle Terrace work

More steel is up on the rebuilding of the Fort on TSI

The former Disney Gallery windows have been covered up

Haunted Mansion is closed for the holiday overlay installation

And then a separate album of the new version of the ASIMO presentation at Innoventions

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3426737

The new version is noticeably more fluid and can move easier.

The show is basically the same show as before, but at the end, ASIMO does run across the stage, which is something the old version couldn't.

Then a look around the entire resort area from Wednesday, September 5th

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3429166

First thing I needed to do when I got to the park was to ride the omnibus, I found out Tuesday night that a long time CM, Carl, passed on last Thursday, August 30th. He was a very friendly, nice gentleman and will be missed. Services will be held this Saturday.

Once again, the Nemo queue was less than 45 minutes in the early afternoon

Over in DCA and the Animation Building, Character Close Up has closed for installation of a new exhibit

The Wonderful World of Color barges and most of the testing equipment has been removed from the lake

Toy Story Mania! construction

Major demolition work has happened on the south edge of the Grand Californian Hotel, in preparations for building the new DVC wing. All the grass has been removed, as has all the landscaping and gates of the old Valet Parking lot and the old Paradise Pier Hotel entrance into DCA, including the former turnstile area. They were removing part of the original GCH building while I took photos. Also the old special Taxi Cab queue area for the GCH has been removed.

A look at the Simba parking lot and the temporary setup for the GCH valet parking lot and the new DVC model

Some of the Disneyland Hotel "You are here" maps still have the old hotel tower names

A look at the main Toy Story Mania! building from Katella Avenue

And then a look at the Progress of Anaheim Garden Walk and the World Mark time share hotel.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3431880
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Off-season photos from around the DLR post Labor Day along with some sad news

Nice ASIMO pics, Beerman!!

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Re: Off-season photos from around the DLR post Labor Day along with some sad news

Thanks for the updates, DB... sorry to hear about Carl... he spent his life working to make others happy, which is the noblest thing we can do as human beings...
    <3 Chloe

• Banned User

Great photos. I love seeing the park when it's so much less crowded. Makes it feel cozier, although it's not fun that HM was closed. Pretty good wait times for most of the big ticket attractions, though.

And that ASIMO is impressive.

Oh, my condolences to Carl's family as well. Had you not mentioned it, we might never have known of his passing, Darkbeer; thank you.

• Wonderful World

Wow it is awesome to see the park that empty. I would LOVE to go during the off season, thanks for the photo's
    I'm back MiceChat

• DL Nerd

Are these the wait times I can expect when I hit DLR early next month?
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    Are these the wait times I can expect when I hit DLR early next month?
    During the week, yes for the most part.

There is always a chance of some school district getting a few days off, and the impact that conventions have in the area.

But yes, there is good reason why people recommending going during the off-season.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Thanks, Darkbeer! I love those photos of the Grand Californian construction- I'm eagerly awaiting those DVC units!

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    During the week, yes for the most part.

There is always a chance of some school district getting a few days off, and the impact that conventions have in the area.

But yes, there is good reason why people recommending going during the off-season.

*starts to fist pump*
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Is this Carl?

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

I'm going with a group of about 5-7 people on sunday. I know it won't be a empty as tuesday, but I'm hopeful the crowds will be down.

We all have hoppers, and 4 people haven't been in ages, so it's going to be an 'open-to-close-do-everything-we-possibly-can' sorta day. I'm resting up on saturday for this one!

• living to haunt

I love the pictures of Mickey checking out the foliage in the que line. It must be Mickey, what other mouse would be allowed to run around like that. Great shots as usual Darkbeer. Do you have any pictures of Carl? It is always sad to learn of someones passing. thanks for the updates!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of Carl? It is always sad to learn of someones passing.
    I have posted a pic above, but for some reason I am blanking on if it is Carl or if he is the other long term MS Drivers.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Wow, I can't believe that Carl passed away. He was a face I would commonly see walking into the park today. His upbeat and entertaining driving will be missed.
    -Monorail Man

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Wow, I can't believe that Carl passed away. He was a face I would commonly see walking into the park today. His upbeat and entertaining driving will be missed.
    Is the picture I posted of Carl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast