Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

"Ratatouille" and "The Little Mermaid" in California?

With the recently-reported rumors about possible new attractions at D.C.A., one can't help but wonder if Disney realizes that it is in the theme-park business, that the company invented the theme park, and that the company's success and a large part of its competitive advantage is based on quality of show.

Storytelling principles like dramatic and thematic unities are integral to Disneyland and to everything Walt Disney did. So, why are the Disney executives of today seemingly abandoning these concepts at every turn?

"Ratatouille" and "The Little Mermaid" will join "Monsters, Inc." and "a bug's land" in transforming D.C.A. into an even bigger monstrosity than the park already is. Putting Winnie the Pooh in Frontierland and Jack Sparrow on Tom Sawyer's Island and Buzz Lightyear toys in Tomorrowland and even Nemo into an ocean of the future is doing the same to Disneyland, itself. Where does it all end?

The creativity associated with the Disney trademark is seemingly not there anymore. Disney's expertise in showmanship also seems to be gone. Jay Rasulo regurgitates the word "immersion" without having a clue as to what said word means.

The dramatic unities of time and place are necessary in order to create a believable literal fiction into which the audience can be immersed. Without those unifying forces, D.C.A. can never be effective.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 09-06-2007 at 12:34 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: "Ratatouille" and "The Little Mermaid" in California?

Okay... all about storytelling, thought "Ratatouille" was adorable and wanted to be Ariel as a little kid. I can see Disneyland with rides based on their characters but "Ratatouille" was set in Paris, unless it was set in Perris, California I am lost. Oh that'd be a good movie!

• DL Nerd

Not that this couldn't have gone into the other 370 threads about DCA but......

Is DCA still keeping the "California" theme? I think it's hard to do a theme park around California and keep it Disney. Perhaps they should just redo the theme altogether.

With that being said.. It is and will be still better than a majority of theme parks out there.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

In dispensing with theme altogether, DCA would silence many critics (including me) regarding thematic violation, and could concentrate on the quality entertainment value of each individual attraction, and not expend wasted (and ultimately thematically futile) energy on trying to 'shoe-horn' in attractions that are movie-based (as is their recent penchant) into a pathetic thread-bare CA theme. A CA themed Park could have worked, I still believe; but with thematic departure after departure, the inconsistencies are too great to overcome thematically, IMO. Let DCA become an amusement park, because it is more than half of one already. As I write these words, I do realize that Disney is certainly not, as yet, willing to give up the CA theme, and I admire their optimism.

• Eeyore smiling

I agree, Disney corporate better get a grip on the name of the park first. The only way both Ariel and Ratatouille (both originating from Europe) could be in DCA is if the C stood for Continental!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    In dispensing with theme altogether, DCA would silence many critics (including me) regarding thematic violation, and could concentrate on the quality entertainment value of each individual attraction, and not expend wasted (and ultimately thematically futile) energy on trying to 'shoe-horn' in attractions that are movie-based (as is their recent penchant) into a pathetic thread-bare CA theme. A CA themed Park could have worked, I still believe; but with thematic departure after departure, the inconsistencies are too great to overcome thematically, IMO. Let DCA become an amusement park, because it is more than half of one already. As I write these words, I do realize that Disney is certainly not, as yet, willing to give up the CA theme, and I admire their optimism.
    I don't go to amusement parks.

maybe thery'll insert the word and...
    Disney AND California Adventure...they can keep the California theme, and it'll cover all the Disney parts of the park that don't fit into California!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I don't go to amusement parks.
    I didn't think you went to Disneyland, either. I do go to amusement parks, and I believe that most will 'stoop' to going as well. Quality attractions can exist without a universal theme. Does theme create a more enjoyable experience for most? Yes, I believe it does. But the constant disregard of an already adopted universal theme is worse, IMO, than having none at all--hence, I consider the eradication of theme a lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I didn't think you went to Disneyland, either. I do go to amusement parks, and I believe that most will 'stoop' to going as well. Quality attractions can exist without a universal theme. Does theme create a more enjoyable experience for most? Yes, I believe it does. But the constant disregard of an already adopted universal theme is worse, IMO, than having none at all--hence, I consider the eradication of theme a lesser of two evils.
    With all due respect, I disagree with the extrapolation from your opinion the generalization that most people will pay a premium to go to D.C.A. for what is a substandard and deeply-flawed experience.

That attitude is the antithesis of traditional Disney thinking.

There should be enough imagination in the world to solve D.C.A.'s problems and to create something with artistic integrity.

• Miss Marvel

Ariel going into the San Francisco area bothers me immensely. That seems to me to be one of the most egregious deviances in theme to date.
    Last edited by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd; 09-06-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: I swear that Z in deviances wasn't there when I typed this.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Of course they could always spin-doctor the name Disney's California Adventure as in you're having a Disney Adventure in California.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

i think some people just take things to literally.

How hard is it to believe that bugs live in a farm environment or that toys and rats live in a pier/amusement/carnival environment.

They have always tried to make sure that attractions fit within the land they are being built in. Just like Nemo in Epcot fits the sea environment but does not fit the future side of the park

The overall theme of the park is then set by the theme of each individual land.

In the case of DCA you have

Hollywood, seaside piers, golden state and the farm land. All things that to a certain degree represent the overall nature of the state.

forget that Ratatouille was based in France. Disney characters have always been universally accepted no matter where they are.

The two attractions mentioned will be located within the Pier Carnival district of DCA. That is the beauty of the pier theme. Its a carnival area where anything could literally fit thematically. Disney just goes that extra step and instead of a rundown dirty pier it will be very emersive with lush landscaping and detailed architecture.

Besides, these are two of several themed attractions that will eventually be built in DCA. Several of which are not character based

D.C.A. is still a park without anything to say and without a reason to exist.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

What got me ever since DCA opened is... okay we get your Californian but I don't think the people behind that ever tried to examine what makes California. Sure there's the Hollywood, glamour, westward ho!, etc etc etc! But being a 1.5 generation Californian (mom was born and raised... Dad from upstate NYork but moved here in high school.), Hollywood isn't what keeps me here (actually I try to stay away from L.A.), westward ho ideals aren't appealing. It's the people that keep me here. And what just... irks me about this Little Mermaid/Ratatoiulle thing is their basically saying "okay we give up! We don't get California!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think we should be a little more forgiving providing they re-do the facades of these areas to convincingly portray the theme they are trying to present.

Let's suppose NOS had been around for 40 years without POTC. Suppose they recently remade Treasure Island and simply because this movie was a blockbuster they decided to add a pirate themed attraction to the park, and into NOS. I would bet dollars to donuts that this would create just as much controversy as the Mermaid/Ratatouille issue is generating now. People would be saying thematically it makes no sense. Others would be saying that there were pirates in NOS and it does make sense loosely. Sounds familiar...

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast