Thread: TL98 and DCA

• "I Break Things"

TL98 and DCA

I thought about this, not sure if anyone else has drawn this comparison before. TL98 is more or less a miniature version of DCA. The most common complaints about DCA are that it lacks theme... and the majority of it is like a nice candy wrapper without anything worth seeing. TL98 was similar... who can forget Rocket Rods, and that wonderful show HISTA, how about INNOVENTIONS. If anything TL98 just splattered paint over the attractions we loved, added a few we weren't so sure of, moved a lot of things around, and somehow botched what had been a pretty good theme... sound familiar? I'm sure someone will pull the Pressler/Harris card, but I think it is a comment on that period as a whole and not necessarily those individuals specifically.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: TL98 and DCA

Hmmm...

I like to think DCA was a bigger scale version of Mickey's Toonton. Entirely too small, a lack of "must do" fullly immersive themed attractions
    MT:
    Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
    DCA :
    Grizzly River Run
    Tower of terror
    A supporting Attraction
    MT:
    The Toontown Trolley
    DCA:
    Soarin over California
    California Screamin
    Supersuck Limo/Monster's

An semi-interesting thing to wander around in
    MT:
    Tootown Jail
    Mickey's House
    Minnie's House
    Donald's Boat

DCA
    Animation Building
    Finished off with a few things you could find at any county fair or Chuck E. Cheese.
    MT:
    Gadget's Go Coaster
    Chip 'n' Dale's Acorn Slide and Ball Pit
    DCA
    Paradise Pier Attractions

This was nicely surrounded by a merchandise shop, and a place to eat, which DCA has plenty of. The result was a poorly executed theme, that never delivered the immersive environment that it promised. Obviously the comparison's are not 100% but you get my point, feel free to send in the mob.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

I don't consider Soarin' or Screamin' a "supporting attraction", unless I mis-read your post.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Launch sequence engaged

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'm sure someone will pull the Pressler/Harris card, but I think it is a comment on that period as a whole and not necessarily those individuals specifically.
    We can't really place every problem on those two individuals, and you are more correct about the period that these two were working in. Nonetheless, Pressler and Harris were not the only mediocre buffoons, as they were surrounded by more mediocrity with the likes of T. Irby and other incompetent Disney executives.

Thus, many Disney properties had mediocrity thrust upon them thanks to such wonderful executives. You can still pull the Pressler/Harris out, but these two weren't the only ones credited for such disasters as TL '98 and DCA, to name a few.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    I don't consider Soarin' or Screamin' a "supporting attraction", unless I mis-read your post.

You didn't mis-read my post

I've never been terribly impressed with either of those two attractions.

To me, Soarin' is simply Back To The Future The Ride, but without the immersive well thought out experience of actually riding in a DeLorean. What's the deal with that attraction? Are you testing a hang glider? Are you supposed to be actually hang gliding as the old DCA commercials would suggest. Oh, and the queue is pretty sad as well.

California Screamin' is a coaster with a loop. I can ride better coasters with better loops at Six Flags. The only way I can describe the queue for Screamin' is...well...is pathetisad a word? No theming, no immersive or cool soundtrack like Rockin' Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Not even a decent costume like Big Thunder used to have. Just a carnival soundtrack, a ride photo and a loop.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    You didn't mis-read my post

I've never been terribly impressed with either of those two attractions.

To me, Soarin' is simply Back To The Future The Ride, but without the immersive well thought out experience of actually riding in a DeLorean. What's the deal with that attraction? Are you testing a hang glider? Are you supposed to be actually hang gliding as the old DCA commercials would suggest. Oh, and the queue is pretty sad as well.
    I am probably one of the 1% who actually enjoys the queue, but not because of any theme I am a HUGE Howard Hughes fan!

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    California Screamin' is a coaster with a loop. I can ride better coasters with better loops at Six Flags. The only way I can describe the queue for Screamin' is...well...is pathetisad a word? No theming, no immersive or cool soundtrack like Rockin' Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Not even a decent costume like Big Thunder used to have. Just a carnival soundtrack, a ride photo and a loop.
    Umm forgot to mention that any of the above Disneyland attractions are not only original, they have much better queues, esp Thunder.

Ultimately what is considered a start anchor attraction in a 3rd rate park would be considered a 3rd rate substandard attraction in a decent park. This would go for almost anything from DCA that was placed in Disneyland. The only exception I can think of is Grizzly and even that would need a lot of theme before it would be completely fit.

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Boswain on the Explorer

(trojanskippa)To me, Soarin' is simply Back To The Future The Ride, but without the immersive well thought out experience of actually riding in a DeLorean. What's the deal with that attraction?

Universal has gotting rid of the Back to the Future ride and replace it with (The Simpsons ride.) I wonder if the Doc Brown's chicken place will turn into Krustys chicken place?
    It's time for Din Din.

• Boswain on the Explorer

As for DCA the Imagineers had some great ideas for other attractions to put in DCA but were shot down due to budget cuts.
    It's time for Din Din.