Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I never kid. Anyone who's seen my posts would say so.

And since there's no state licensing for historians anyone can be an historian, just with different degrees of respect.

And you might look into getting some Posting Management Therapy ...
    1. I was joking, I wasn't really angry, and if you are suggesting that I post too much, I wasn't aware of a posting limit on MC, and since you have over 1000 posts *EDIT* [Nearly 2000 posts.] and I have significantly less, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

2. As defined by professional professional Historians, a "Historian" is one who has a Graduate or post-graduate degree in (gasp) History. Someone with a passing interest in history or even a B.A in History is not a Historian.
    Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 09-16-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    2. As defined by professional professional Historians, a "Historian" is one who has a Graduate or post-graduate degree in (gasp) History. Someone with a passing interest in history or even a B.A in History is not a Historian.
    Um, what goes around...

Can you please cite your source on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Um, what goes around...

Can you please cite your source on this?
    Happy to...

As part of my B.A. in History I am required to take a class entitled Historiography. Which is in essence a class about the study of History. It is the capstone class in our program.
    The reference in question comes from a book titled

That Noble Dream: "The Objectivity Question" and the American Historical Profession.
    By: Peter Novick
    Cambridge University Press: 1998.

Peter Novick is Professor of History at the University of Chicago. He is the author of The Resistance vs. Vichy: The Purge of Collaborators in LIberated France.

I'd be happy to cite the chapter if you need me to, but I'm a little short on time this morning.
    Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 09-16-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• "I Break Things"

Happy to...

As part of my B.A. in History I am required to take a class entitled Historiography. Which is in essence a class about the study of History. It is the capstone class in out program.
    The reference in question comes from a book titled

That Noble Dream: "The Objectivity Question" and the American HIstorical Porfession. By Peter Novick Cambridge University Press 1998.

Peter Novick is Professor of History at the University of Chicago. He is the author of The Resistance vs. Vichy: The Purge of Collaborators in LIberated France.

I'd be happy to cite the chapter if you need me to, but I'm a little short on time this morning.
    And now the subtle silence of crickets because someone said something intelligent AND backed it up
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    And now the subtle silence of crickets because someone said something intelligent AND backed it up
    This thread had crickets over a weeks ago.

• Closed Account

I'm really not interested in the chapter...But if you could cite the quote itself, that would be great.

And I would suggest changing your statement above about "professional Historians..." to, "a professional Historian."

As most common definitions define historian as a writer, student, or scholar of history, I think it's safe to say that Howser is a historian--as much as that "local yokel" accent and good-natured attitude makes folks like you think otherwise.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-16-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Thumbs down Re: What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

I'm really not interested in the chapter...But if you could cite the quote itself, that would be great.

And I would suggest changing your statement above about "professional Historians..." to, "a professional Historian."

As most common definitions define historian as a writer, student, or scholar of history, I think it's safe to say that Howser is a historian.
    Safe...yes, but also wrong.

The the entire book itself (all 600+pages) is about objectivity in the Histoical profession and the evoloution of those we call Historians. It's in the title of the book American Historical Profession. There is no one specific quote, it's a book...about Historians, debating who can be called a Historian and who is not. I will happily name these men if you need me to but keep in mind the book is written by a Historian,
    about several other Historians, so my use of the plural Historians is correct.
    Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 09-17-2007 at 12:54 AM.

• "I Break Things"

I was certain that most would not take the time to do the required research that would go beyond Wikipedia so here it is

http://www.amazon.com/That-Noble-Dre...0000109&sr=8-1

Inside This Book
    Citations: This book cites 246 books | 300 books that cite this book Explore: Citations | Books on Related Topics | Concordance | Text Stats Key Phrases - SIPs: interwar relativists, new black history, cold war revisionism, professional historical scholarship, historical venture (more) Key Phrases - CAPs: New York, United States, University of Chicago, Merle Curti, American Historical Association (more)

That was the summary and you are more then welcome to read portions of the book online as well. As to the previous comment
    As most common definitions define historian as a writer, student, or scholar of history, I think it's safe to say that Howser is a historian--as much as that "local yokel" accent and good-natured attitude makes folks like you think otherwise.
    I think it's safe to say that without the professional degrees, and possible publication of academic books, journals, and or papers that you may not be accepted in the academic community. Historian is a title, it's the experience and paperwork behind it that either proves, or disproves how appropriate that title is. I would say "Amateur Historian" would be more appropriate but even then Huell does more in the way of interviews then anything else. It would be like calling Barbra Walters a Historian, sure she has interviewed countless individuals, and I am sure she has more then enough experience but at what point would she have crossed the line from asking questions of other experts to dictating, researching, and discovering on her own?
    Last edited by techskip; 09-16-2007 at 09:30 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Found a use for this second space besides the obvious double post comment.

I used Barbra Walters as an example because she is known for her interviews, but you can use Ed Murrow, Walt Kronkite, Hal Fishman, and any number of other journalists in a similar fashion. To me that is what Huell is, a journalist who asks the right questions to the right people. IMO the only portion of his show that would qualify him as an Amateur Historian is the show's continued theme and content. However if you strip him of both mic and camera he becomes a "Well traveled CA tourist with VIP access". In short the information he gathers and provides has already been researched and is readily available to the public. In fact the majority of his "information about California's Golden Parks" can be found on the State Parks website and is readily gleaned from most Park Rangers on site. Under those qualifications ANYONE who regularly visits the park system would be considered a Historian. Sounds a lot like the AP's and Disneyland if you ask me!
    Last edited by techskip; 09-17-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I would say "Amateur Historian" would be more appropriate but even then Huell does more in the way of interviews then anything else.
    Stole the words right out of my mouth Techskip. If anyone else is till reading this thread, I can subscribe to calling Huell Howser an "amatuer" Historian. Techskip is right, it's the paperwork combined with the experience that proves how deserved the title is.

But since I was asked to provide more information. In his book Peter Novick cites two important texts in regards to Historians. He states that the American Historical Association was formed followed shortly by the American Historical Review, all prior to 1900. "By 1900" Novick states, the PhD degree was a prerequisite for the title Historian at respectable colleges.

Novick also cites John Higam's History: Professional Scholarship in America. Which was published in 1965 and is seen as the standard for Historiography study.

Finally we are left with this little tidbit. "It was not untill well into the interwar perios (1917-1942) that it became the rule for the presidency of the American Historical Assosciation to be bestowed on a college professor holding the PhD. degree, before 1907 the presidents were almost all amatuers.

So there...Huell Howser is an amatuer historian at best. Just like any idiot with a camera and a YouTube account is an amatuer film maker.

So now that everyone still reading this is now bored into a coma Mr. DeGaetano, I hope this answer satasfies you. Historians, REAL actual, respected Historians are given the title based on training and occupation. Not a Public Television show, or a few articles on the internet. I have now proven my point on numerous occasions, far beyond "look it up yourself" and "do a google search".

-Good night

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    Huell Howser is an American treasure and dare I say it, more important to our world than Jesus Christ himself.

Case closed.
    WOW! Those are strong words

• is too darn hot.

Yeah, I'd like to hear Jesus's response.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to hear Jesus's response.
    He said "love thy neighbor, unless it's Huell Howser"

• Damn Good Burger!

I heard Huell was going to be on the next Survivor.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyRob View Post
    I heard Huell was going to be on the next Survivor.
    Yes, and Jesus said "hey buddy! Survive this!"

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast