Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Re: What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Yes, but The Rock as a gay cowboy? Classic.
    Somehow, that just sounds appropriate. Who would be the tentmate?

• is too darn hot.

It was in the sequel to "Get Shorty" called "Be Cool." He was a closeted gay cowboy who liked singing country music written for female singers, "Stand By Your Man," etc.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

My mom met Huell years ago at an airport in California.

• "I Break Things"

This specifically is the party I was referring to. The interview is clean, but the party was definitely rowdy! not what you would generally think of when it comes to Disney and probably not what he had in mind. It speaks volumes about the Disney company, had this happened in this day and age the media would have pounced on it.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/old-brew/...ite-wrap-party
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Sock Puppet

Huell Howser is awesome and he is absolutely right. California does not begin and end with Disneyland. How about you hold off on yet another trip to Disneyland and go see some of real California instead of Disney's bastardized version of it?

"Who is Huell Howser? He said WHAT about Disneyland?! Oh he must suck!!! I'm so angry!" Huell is a historian. He's one of the most important people in California culture, one that attempts to preserve the culture and educate people about it. Perhaps if Disney had the same respect for California that he does, DCA wouldn't have been such a monumental failure.

• is too darn hot.

You realize you're in a forum devoted to Disneyland, right?

• Sock Puppet

You realize you're in a forum devoted to Disneyland, right?
    I can't see what that has to do with anything I've posted. What Huell said was exactly the truth. Disneyland is a facade. It's not the real thing. Are people so obsessed with Disney that anyone who criticizes them is a target for attacks and insults? All I see are Disney freaks attacking a guy for telling the truth.

Is it okay to be irrationally obsessed with a theme park that you lose sight of everything else in life? Is that a good quality to have? I enjoy going to Disneyland, but if you want to be a well-rounded person who can actually relate to people that aren't Disney freaks, it can't be the only thing in your life.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    I can't see what that has to do with anything I've posted. What Huell said was exactly the truth. Disneyland is a facade. It's not the real thing. Are people so obsessed with Disney that anyone who criticizes them is a target for attacks and insults? All I see are Disney freaks attacking a guy for telling the truth.

Is it okay to be irrationally obsessed with a theme park that you lose sight of everything else in life? Is that a good quality to have? I enjoy going to Disneyland, but if you want to be a well-rounded person who can actually relate to people that aren't Disney freaks, it can't be the only thing in your life.
    I don't see how your response is relevant to what I said, either. My response was pointing out that some might take issue with you calling Disneyland a "bastardization" of California. Disneyland does not pertain to California thematically, but that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to acknowledge the fact that the Disney corporation and by extension Disneyland played at least some role in making California what it is today. Don't be so quick on the trigger, man.

• Sock Puppet

I don't see how your response is relevant to what I said, either. My response was pointing out that some might take issue with you calling Disneyland a "bastardization" of California.
    I meant DCA, which is less a theme park but an insult to California and Disneyland I might add.

People are jumping on Huell Howser because their devotion to a giant corporation that couldn't care less what they think overrides their ability to have a rational and coherent thought.

No one said that the facades of Disneyland were a bad thing. Huell was simply making a remark that whatever he was doing a story on was the real thing, and not a tourist destination. He probably thought less of the remark than most of the people in this thread did.

You overestimate the role that Disneyland has played in California. I doubt California or Los Angeles would be much different today if Disneyland did not exist. It has certainly changed Anaheim and Orange County, but to most people Disneyland is a hot, crowded, and expensive tourist trap and not the work of art we think it is.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I apologize if there are any Huell Howser fans out there. I am one myself. But my apreciation for him has gone down a notch after hearing him say this little gem. Why won't he do a Disneyland Resort espisode?
    I know you guys aren't upset with me directly. Just remember this is what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Don't take it personally, David. I think doing a show on Disneyland would be the equivalent of selling out for him. I mean... we all know the history, we all know what it is. His show is to show us everything else and that's fine. I think if he did a show on Disneyland it would be the most boring thing ever.
    I see what you are saying here. This was discussed a bit earlier -- what can he really talk about. I don't think Disney is going to do a re-hash of the Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour, for example. And they probably (althought these days I am not too sure) won't discuss the presence of Club 33. In perfect Disney fashion, why give away their secrets when they could have a guest pay them for the same thing?

I don't see how your response is relevant to what I said, either. My response was pointing out that some might take issue with you calling Disneyland a "bastardization" of California. Disneyland does not pertain to California thematically, but that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to acknowledge the fact that the Disney corporation and by extension Disneyland played at least some role in making California what it is today. Don't be so quick on the trigger, man.
    This is my point exactly. Disneyland is a facade. But it's place in California's development should not be glossed over. He did a show on the Golden Gate Bridge and Knott's. But he refuses to do something on Disneyland, which has attractions that are borderlining on historical landmarks themselves now? (The matterhorn and monorail are two that come to mind).

And what got me too, is saying this farm he was visiting was "the real thing". There's "tourist farms" like this all over the place. Just 5 miles from me in Irvine is Tanaka Farms. They have watermelon tours, strawberry tours, and soon you will be able to pick your own pumpkins for Halloween -- just like this farm Huell was visiting near Paso Robles. This farm the he visited, along with the Irvine farm, is a facade in and of itself. So I felt when he said by extension that Disneyland isn't real -- well the farm he was visiting was just as much a facade as is Disneyland. The farmers admitted that they opened up their farm to tourists in order to help sustain themselves. They even had a cute little old Model T sitting out front with bushels of produce around it. Hmm...Disneyland has no influence in California?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

And I also want to say again that I do like Huell. I loved the show on Fern Canyon. I had never heard of that place until I saw the show on that. And because of this, someday I want to visit it. That place looks so beautiful -- and I never would have heard of it if it wasn't for Huell.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Maybe Huell was shot down by Disney and not allowed to film there and he holds a grudge. Who knows?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

With all due respect, is there anyway that links could have been posted instead of 14 video clips? I mean, all those YouTube video's really slow things down. It took my computer about 20 minutes to just load the page so I could post!

It would be much appreciated.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    You overestimate the role that Disneyland has played in California. I doubt California or Los Angeles would be much different today if Disneyland did not exist. It has certainly changed Anaheim and Orange County, but to most people Disneyland is a hot, crowded, and expensive tourist trap and not the work of art we think it is.
    Considering the concepts introduced by the Walt Disney company, and the company's donations to the arts, charity, film, music, and the fact that Disney's brand and Disneyland are usually tied into the American culture as a whole. I believe I am understating it when I say "they did a lot". ESP in the past 50 years, and that can be seen in the photographs of Presidents, Dignitaries, Movie Stars and Music Celebs, great Comedians. The hotel is just as iconic and has just as much history as the park itself. I would highly recommend researching the history of the park and it's visitors before making a claim of overstating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    With all due respect, is there anyway that links could have been posted instead of 14 video clips? I mean, all those YouTube video's really slow things down. It took my computer about 20 minutes to just load the page so I could post!

It would be much appreciated.
    Could not agree more since I have Dial-up but I have a way of getting around it so I can't complain.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast