Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Angry What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

I was watching California's Gold with Huell Howser a few weeks ago, and somethng he said really got my blood boiling.

He was in Paso Robles and touring the area around it. He went to a tourist farm outside the city. Apparently many family-operated farms in California have organized and opened their farms up to the public for tours and an opportunity to buy their produce. They are doing this to compensate for increasing losses in revenue as California continues losing its family-owned agricultural areas to development and increased corporate farming.

Well, Huell, in his usual "Oh my gosh" attitude said something that really ticked me off. He said to the farmer, "This isn't Disneyland... I mean, this isn't some facade. This is the real thing."

Huell loves trapsing around California and meeting with the regular folk and comes across as this guy who absolutely loves California. Yet he refuses to do a show about Disneyland. Has he stopped to consider that Disneyland is now 52 years old and that some icons that Californians see from the road like the Matterhorn is almost 50 years old? This is historical by California standards. Has he ever stopped to consider that maybe appreciating Disneyland is just one of those things that makes California so special?

He has done a show about Knott's, but I have heard he refuses to do a show about Disneyland because he thinks it is too commercialized and, apparently from his own mouth, fake. And the farm he was oogling about isn't all that special either. There are similar farms throughout California, and one right in the middle of Irvine, just 15 miles from Disneyland. Right now you can pick your own pumpkins there and go on a tractor tour of the farm and visit a petting zoo and stuff like that. This little farm he was visiting right outside of Paso Robles is just as much a facade as Disneyland is, yet he thinks somehow that it's "the real thing."

I apologize if there are any Huell Howser fans out there. I am one myself. But my apreciation for him has gone down a notch after hearing him say this little gem. Why won't he do a Disneyland Resort espisode?

• Defying gravity

Re: What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

Um...who?

I have never seen one of Huell's shows, but I always hear Adam Carolla talking about him and playing clips from his shows. Maybe it is too hard for him to get into Disneyland to film.

• Beach Expert

Oh. He's a local TV personality who does a series for PBS called California's Gold. He goes around California looking for obscure people and places that makes California unique and special. His shows often times are pretty interesting.

But I think he needs to do an episode on the DLR as much as he hates to do shows on subjects that are overly commercialized or popular. If he does do a topic on a popular subject it is usually a subset of that topic that most people do not pay attention to. For example, his Knott's special was all about the history of Ghost Town. He did a show on downtown LA but focused on the window washers on the skyscrapers. He went to Calico Ghost Town but brushed over all the Walter Knott references.

I think he needs to do a show about Disneyland because Disneyland, as commercialized and popular as it is, is part of the fabric of California and is one of those things that has helped to develop California into what it currently is.

• Banned User

Thumbs up Re: What does Huell Howser have against Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I was watching California's Gold with Huell Howser a few weeks ago, and somethng he said really got my blood boiling.

He was in Paso Robles and touring the area around it. He went to a tourist farm outside the city. Apparently many family-operated farms in California have organized and opened their farms up to the public for tours and an opportunity to buy their produce. They are doing this to compensate for increasing losses in revenue as California continues losing its family-owned agricultural areas to development and increased corporate farming.

Well, Huell, in his usual "Oh my gosh" attitude said something that really ticked me off. He said to the farmer, "This isn't Disneyland... I mean, this isn't some facade. This is the real thing."

Huell loves trapsing around California and meeting with the regular folk and comes across as this guy who absolutely loves California. Yet he refuses to do a show about Disneyland. Has he stopped to consider that Disneyland is now 52 years old and that some icons that Californians see from the road like the Matterhorn is almost 50 years old? This is historical by California standards. Has he ever stopped to consider that maybe appreciating Disneyland is just one of those things that makes California so special?

He has done a show about Knott's, but I have heard he refuses to do a show about Disneyland because he thinks it is too commercialized and, apparently from his own mouth, fake. And the farm he was oogling about isn't all that special either. There are similar farms throughout California, and one right in the middle of Irvine, just 15 miles from Disneyland. Right now you can pick your own pumpkins there and go on a tractor tour of the farm and visit a petting zoo and stuff like that. This little farm he was visiting right outside of Paso Robles is just as much a facade as Disneyland is, yet he thinks somehow that it's "the real thing."

I apologize if there are any Huell Howser fans out there. I am one myself. But my apreciation for him has gone down a notch after hearing him say this little gem. Why won't he do a Disneyland Resort espisode?
    That seems like a great idea to do something a little DIFFERENT for his show. Not only should he do one for Disneyland but even the Walt Disney Studios (if he's allowed to, of course).

You should write his show and inform him of the lengths to which Walt Disney went to get Disneyland built.

He used his own personal finances, including at least one mortgage, to do what the Walt Disney Productions corporation refused to do.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

For all the non California residents, from Wikipedia (Wikipedia? Seriously?):
    Huell Burnley Howser (born 18 October1945 in Gallatin, Tennessee) is a television personality best-known for his travel shows for PBS affiliate KCET.
    Howser's shows - California's Gold, Visiting... with Huell Howser, Our Neighborhoods, The Bench, Road Trip, and various specials - highlight small towns, landmarks, events or places of interest throughout California which are not well-known to the general public, and Howser conducting informal interviews with the

My opinion...:
    Look,
    Huell Howser has two skills in life
    1. Repeating Stuff Back to you you've already said.
    Ex.
    HH:So Guest tell us where we are?
    Guest: This is the Fullerton arboretum
    HH: The Fullerton Arboretum?
    Guest:Yes The Fullerton Arboretum
    HH: So we're here at the Fullerton Arboretum?
    Guest: YEs and we have over 5000 diefferent species of plants here
    HH:Over 5000 species of flowers?
    Guest: Yes...over 5000 species of flowers.

2. Profiling stuff no one else cares about
    ex.
    Going to a gravel factory.

Adam Corrolla explains it quite well it you have the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgBzonsKPE

I could personally care less is HH does a special about about Disneyland, I'm sure he'd find a way to bore me.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    You should write his show and inform him of the lengths to which Walt Disney went to get Disneyland built.

He used his own personal finances, including at least one mortgage, to do what the Walt Disney Productions corporation refused to do.
    I thought about that. Maybe I should write to him. But I think what will whet his interest is pointing out the subtleties of the parks. And showing how these subtleties either were influenced by outside sources within California, or how California was influenced by these subtle features of the parks.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Huel Howser is such an oaf. He's just some country bumpkin from Gallitin who's charm is his gee golly attitude. Personally I think his stuff is terrible. There are people who like it though. I think the Simpson's even joked about him once.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

As interesting as Disneyland's story is, public television probably does not like to give free advertising to multinational, multi-billion-dollar media octopuses that would never return the favor.

• insufferable know-it-all

TrojanSkippa: You forgot HH's other major job skill...

YELLING AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE BECAUSE HE'S SO GOSH DARN EXCITED TO BE AT THIS LITTLE BACKWATER WHATEVER IT IS.

Truth be told, the only time I've been able to stomach an entire episode of California's Gold was when he visited the ranch that houses Traveler.

(Traveler, btw, is a horse, and USC's mascot)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Don't take it personally, David. I think doing a show on Disneyland would be the equivalent of selling out for him. I mean... we all know the history, we all know what it is. His show is to show us everything else and that's fine. I think if he did a show on Disneyland it would be the most boring thing ever.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post

My opinion...:
    Look,
    Huell Howser has two skills in life
    1. Repeating Stuff Back to you you've already said.
    Ex.
    HH:So Guest tell us where we are?
    Guest: This is the Fullerton arboretum
    HH: The Fullerton Arboretum?
    Guest:Yes The Fullerton Arboretum
    HH: So we're here at the Fullerton Arboretum?
    Guest: YEs and we have over 5000 diefferent species of plants here
    HH:Over 5000 species of flowers?
    Guest: Yes...over 5000 species of flowers.
    I'm sure Huell does this, because he knows there are USC people in the viewing audience, who don't always catch on so quickly.

Seriously, I don't think he's an oaf...but he's not the greatest TV host in the world either. Some of his shows I find quite interesting, others I just pass on. I agree with Pragrmatic in that I think I tend to think he focuses on parts of our state not controlled by mega-bazillion dollar global corporations.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Animatronic

He should do a show! Disneyland is hidden California Gold for sure. I first heard about Disneyland when my parents took me at around the age of three, but what about people who's parents didn't pass down the secret? Driving down the Santa Ana freeway, I wonder how many people see that steep white mountain and think it's just a large train set or something? PBS needs to bring Disneyland to the attention of California residents and help this struggling family business.

Plus, Disneyland is filled with real antiques and real history to those who know where to look. It's not yet all plush toys and candy.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Oh here is the Simpsons reference

"All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast