Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Thunder Mountain Restraints

I have been meaning to bring this up but I usually forget, right now BTM has a single lap bar for both guest, and it really hasn't cause problems but the since I have been sitting with my nephew I noticed that since he is smaller than me the lap bar stops on my legs before it gets to his and there is a gap between him and the bar, I know it's unlikely he will slip out but he still slides around during the ride. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and do your think BTM should have seperate lap bars like Space Mountain.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Re: Thunder Mountain Restraints

I haven't experienced this at BTMR but I have experienced it at a ride with a similar situation with more people..Jurassic Park. I went on a trip to USH this Summer and I got on the ride and the people in my row were bigger than me, some way bigger and I am pretty damn scrawny so I felt that I was going to fly out when the drop came. Even though gravity is keeping us down, it's still a scary thought, scarier than the ride itself.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    I have been meaning to bring this up but I usually forget, right now BTM has a single lap bar for both guest, and it really hasn't cause problems but the since I have been sitting with my nephew I noticed that since he is smaller than me the lap bar stops on my legs before it gets to his and there is a gap between him and the bar, I know it's unlikely he will slip out but he still slides around during the ride. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and do your think BTM should have seperate lap bars like Space Mountain.
    I think the single lap bar is more than adequate from BTMRR. Besides, if DL decided to go to two separate bars, you would lose the ability to ride with 3 people in one row, which I am assuming would/could cut capacity.

• is too darn hot.

My little brother is a skinny little thing and I'm a big fat dude. He loves it because he gets airtime. It's impossible for him to fly out, though, because of the angle.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    When I left they had that on the table

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I think the single lap bar is more than adequate from BTMRR. Besides, if DL decided to go to two separate bars, you would lose the ability to ride with 3 people in one row, which I am assuming would/could cut capacity.
    For the most part it is nearly impossible to pull off 3 in a row unless it is a combination of 2 small adults and a kid or 2 small kids and an adult, or 3 small kids. In short you try to group 3's but people don't seem to comprehend that they can fit 3 in a row and they usually tend to screw it up. Most times we would try for the 3, if they did it then great, if not then we adjusted.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Because of the way it is engineered, you aren't coming out unless you disjoint your legs at both the knees and the hips. So having the lap bar a couple inches over your lap isn't a problem and actually will add to the thrills as you will float up out of your seat a few inches on some of those quick drops.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I ride with my daughters all the time and like BassBone said I'm much bigger than they are and have never had any problems. Yes they slide around and are not as constrained but not a big deal. I will agree though that the first time it kind of freaked me out too.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Physics are on your side...don't worry about falling out.

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

This always annoys me because I usually ride with my dad, so there are about three inches between me and the lap bar, so I feel "obligated" to hold on, which I don't like because this is the only ride where I will. I would be glad to get separate lap bars or maybe seat belts, which might be easier for them to put in.
    "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
    Home sweet home is the lesson today."

You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

• lol what

Well at WDW, when I rode Big Thunder with my Dad in April, I did get some air between me and the seat during several drops. Which this being due to the lapbar situation you mentioned. I found the air time pretty fun for Big Thunder, but I don't think the little kids would like it much.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

You just wait until they add the loop.

• no flash photography...

I slide around every time I go on that ride. I don't think the lap bars go down far enough. I have to hold on or go flying into the person next to me...if I'm riding alone I slide into the side of the seat. Either way not pleasant ride.

I've been the smaller rider a couple of times but I didn't feel like I was going to fall out. Slide around yes, but I do that even when I ride alone and the lap bar fits all the way onto my lap.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I slide around every time I go on that ride. I don't think the lap bars go down far enough. I have to hold on or go flying into the person next to me...if I'm riding alone I slide into the side of the seat. Either way not pleasant ride.
    A tighter fitting lap bar would not fix the sliding issue, only molded seats (like on most wooden coasters) would stop sliding. I prefer a little space between myself and the lap bars. 3 or 4 inches is perfect. I hate it when a ride op staples you down so much that it actually hurts to ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

My boyfriend and I always have to deal with this...I slide around like crazy. It made him really nervous at first (I discovered that I could easily fully stand up the way the bar was), but the ride is a little more thrilling that way and I end up laughing hysterically. Not too bad...still, it makes me wonder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast