Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nemo subs

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Sad Nemo subs

I know people are happy that the classic Submarines will return to operation, but is anyone more than a bit upset about the Nemo overlay and its thematic integration into Tomorrowland?

It doesn't even really have a futuristic touch to it. "Maybe in the future, fish can talk!" might be some excuse Disney will use, but it's just so ridiculous. Aside from that, Nemo is not futuristic at all.

I admit, the old Subs were a pretty dated show, and not ever very futuristic. Still, research submarines exploring a more futuristic ocean and doing tests would be a much cooler and appropriate theme for the ride, if it stays in Tomorrowland.

I doubt they'll go through the headache of moving the load area over to Fantasyland - plus, the Monorail station will look kind of randomly placed if there is nothing below it.

So it's staying in Tomorrowland, most likely, which upsets me. Nemo might turn out to be a great ride, but thematically...it just doesn't work. I feel the same about Buzz: Fun, but not themed well for the land (admittedly, at least Buzz has a semi futuristic touch).

• Minion

Re: Nemo subs

I think you may be over-analizing things a bit. The subs returning is the key. Nemo is the way. Without Nemo as a theme, the subs would not return since by itself it was not attracting enough crowds to justify the cost of running it.

Nemo itself may be a short time run. There have been a few of these short runs that are made to capatilize off of a films popularty. I remember when they had the Gummybears theme on the MBC. Also the Toy Story made/walkthrough in Tomorrow Land. I dont think its one of these with how much work is getting put it. But I firmly believe that without Nemo, there is no subs.

• Vehicle rotating backward

There wasn't much in the way of futuristic qualities to 20,000 Leagues other than a movie tie-in either, but that was good enough for Walt to let it sit there 11 years until just before he died.

• Basking in birthday love

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the Nemo theme is just a way to get them up and running until they can develop a more appropriate ride for the area. Unless the ride as it will open is a ginormous success, I'd expect a new overlay on the subs within a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I love Pixar and I adore Nemo. But I'm also dying for an original ride without a marketing tie-in.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I remember there being talk years ago about overlaying a Little Mermaid theme there but obviously that didnt or hasnt happened.

I too would LOVE to see an original storyline for this attraction without relying on a movie. But it'll be cool having the Subs back regardless.

I guess if you think about it how futuristic are submarines anyway? I suppose one way to "space" it up would be to make it a submarine expedition on another planets ocean, chock full of alien species and such. In the meantime, we'll just have to enjoy the Subs being Nemoized!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    But I'm also dying for an original ride without a marketing tie-in.
    If you look at whats in the park, original rides without a marketing tie-in's are very very rare, even in Walts day. I can only name a few, and those are POTC and HM! Everything else has some sort of movie tie-in. Its what Disney does. Why brake with tradition?

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Nemo subs are better than rusting subs.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Banned User

Movie tie ins were meant for Fantasyland.

• Hooterville, USA

Get something in there soon! I'm tired of looking at a sad lagoon. Hey, that rhymes.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    I think you may be over-analizing things a bit. The subs returning is the key. Nemo is the way. Without Nemo as a theme, the subs would not return since by itself it was not attracting enough crowds to justify the cost of running it.
    Well, they could simply leave out the nemo theme and keep the sub storyline, but with awesome special effects that would definately bring in the crowds. As much as I love nemo, the ride does not belong in Tomorrowland. If they kept the same story as the old one, but made it more futuristic with better special effects, then I would approve.
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005

Uh huh- and all the other movie tie ins from the other lands are what?

Just IMO- for the umpteenth time every time someone tries to start a wave of dissatisfaction with the Nemo thing- who cares, the subs are coming back and that makes me so happy I could cry.

• Banned User

I'll rephrase: Cartoon movie tie ins go in Fantasyland...there, Nephythys.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I'll rephrase: Cartoon movie tie ins go in Fantasyland...there, Nephythys.

fair e nuff

Though I still do not agree.

• My Children's Father

Splash/Pooh - Critter Country

Star Tours/HISTA - Tomorrowland

Roger Rabbit - Toontown

Indy - Adventureland

I would have to say it depends on the movie ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Please allow me to chime in. I have heard somewhere recently that Disney is allowing the "Nemo" idea to get the green light because obviously Nemo's theme is underwater, and because the old Sub Lagoon is on the borderline of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. So it is a mixture of both. Now, the Tomorrowland part I do not understand either. But I did hear that the effects and lighting on the attraction will include very futuristic ideas. So who knows? Just wanted to point that out. Thanks!
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast