Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

Issues with the Pirates Rehab

I consider myself a Disney puriest. I take great issue with altering Pirates of the Caribbean by adding Johnnie Depp. This was Walt Disney's final and greatest Disneyland attraction, and was perfect as it was. It pains my heart to see it cheepend into a commercail for Disney's recent thatrical releases. And I am not biassed because I loved the movies. Does anyone share my feelins, or disagree? let me know.

Re: Issues with the Pirates Rehab

I don't understand the concept of a Disney Purist. Walt's vision was for a park that would change with the times, and continue to grow and expand. When Disneyland stops changing then Walt's greatest hope for the park dies.

Anyway, as to this particular change...I wouldn't mind it as much as I do if they had inserted movie elements in a way that didn't alter the overall show and experience. It's just too much Depp. The attempt at weaving a cohessive story was ill-concieved. The Davy Jones waterfall effect destroys what was one of the creepiest and most atmospheric portions of the ride. I miss the menace of the voices echoing in the dark.

That said...I really, REALLY like the new lighting, more impressive cannon blasts and the new soundtrack mix.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Dont misunderstand. any technological enhancements are welcomed. Better lighting, better sound, better animatronics, ect. These serve to enhance the experience, and as a Disney "purist" I welcome technological advancement. What erks me is turning something into a commercail. And I agree with you on an "ill concieved storyline". I suppose if they put in ONE Johnny Depp in, it would not bother me so much. But to see him everywhere you turn, and to hear everyone of the Pirates asking where he is throughout the entire ride, it is not only annoying, it is stupid.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I consider myself a Disney puriest. I take great issue with altering Pirates of the Caribbean by adding Johnnie Depp. This was Walt Disney's final and greatest Disneyland attraction, and was perfect as it was.
    in your first post you say that the ride perfect the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    Dont misunderstand. any technological enhancements are welcomed. Better lighting, better sound, better animatronics, ect. These serve to enhance the experience, and as a Disney "purist" I welcome technological advancement.
    in your second post you say that technological enhancements are welcomed. How can a attraction that is perfect become better?

I contend that you can not be a Disney purist because you do not hold the same views for the park as Walt did, Walt welcomed change and you do not.

Your point about the changs in the story are your opinion, and I don't hold the same views.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Minion

I agree, Emelius, you said it with a flair.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    in your first post you say that the ride perfect the way it was.

in your second post you say that technological enhancements are welcomed. How can a attraction that is perfect become better?

I contend that you can not be a Disney purist because you do not hold the same views for the park as Walt did, Walt welcomed change and you do not.

Your point about the changs in the story are your opinion, and I don't hold the same views.
    I meant that the flow of the storyline and the placement of the show elements were perfect as they were. Change can be good, or it can be bad. I welcome change for the better. In this case, I think the changes were for the worse. Walt Disney welcomed change and advancement true. But he most certainly would never welcome a weak and ill concieved storyline, or turning something into a comercial.

• Progressive Disneylander

I quite enjoy all of the changes that came with the Pirates rehab -- and I'm not someone who puts the new Pirates films high up on a pedastal.

What I liked about the enhancements is that they were just that. They all managed to enhance the experience without disrespecting the original attraction.

My favorite scene in the attraction has always been the pirate captain on the ship and even though they replaced him with Barbosa, it was done so well that I'm perfectly fine with it.

Listen, these Pirates movies are the biggest, most popular films in the company's history by far. Do the purists think that fact should just be ignored??

Being a Disney purist means that nothing would ever change or be replaced. Bor-ing.

Disneyland -- even in the beginning -- wasn't even founded nor operated with that line of thinking. Not every change will be good, but change in DL is necessary so it can remain relavent and interesting to the masses.

• Resident Ghost

Walt Disney didn't commercialize? What about his Snow White ride? Alice? Should he not have made those?

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by MRBboy2005 View Post
    Walt Disney didn't commercialize? What about his Snow White ride? Alice? Should he not have made those?
    Yes, but he did not add elemetns from a Snow White or Alice and Wonderland sequal into the original ride.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Fantasyland, and the Castle specifically, are commercials.

I like that Pirates was updated. I like the Jones effect. That dark cavern always creeped me out and I never heard any voices besides the "Dead men tell no tales".

I say update the rides to the point that they are enhancements, NOT storyline changes.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Eeyore smiling

I have no problems with the POTC Movie additions.

I DID have a problem with changing the running around the barrell scene a few years ago. BUT I have heard that they were going to put it back in (or was that selective hearing and hopefulness?)

• DL Nerd

For whole new generation Cant Jack Sparrow IS PoTC.

I really don't care either way however. IMO it was done tastefully and well. I would have been happy without any changes either.

Most of the ride was unaltered. The feel of the ride remains the same to me. I really see very little to be bothered by
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Hooterville, USA

Take Depp out of there and have the man chase the lady again brfore the PC'ed it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I think the changes to Pirates were great! They need to do more of that sort of thing on more rides!

Honestly, so many of Disneyland's E Tickets are aging facilities and concepts from the 20th century. You can't stop the beat, and you can't stop the world from changing. So don't try, even by claiming you are a "Purist" on something.

Disneyland better keep changing, or else it will just become another Knott's Berry Farm.

• Old Timer

POTC has been making changes since it first opened. Several of the changes have been substanchal, some minor. Most remember only the major ones. I like the latest ones. They were not as obtrusive as I feared. The technology has greatly improved from it's openning.
    There have been many, many changes to Disneyland since I first visited over 50 years ago. Most good, a few bad. POTC by in large has been good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast