Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Indiana Jones and....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    And with Disney's track record of cloning attractions, the Oriental Land Company would be wise to have such a contract.
    You can say that again. It's so depressing watching TDS get all the goodies.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Well, it's not a direct clone. They are simply protecting the theme, not the technology (unless it was developed for them first). Imagineers are free to create another Indiana Jones Adventure, but not one with the Crystal Skull storyline.

Same with their version of Tower of Terror, which is also protected by the contract. Other Tower of Terrors can be built, but not one with the Hightower theme.
    Is this why Disney hasn't duplicated attractions like Journey to the Center of the Earth, or some of the many other unique Tokyo Disney attractions that the Oriental Land Company funded?

If so, then more power to OLC. Its sad that they seem to "get" Disney theme parks more than Disney does.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    It's so depressing watching TDS get all the goodies.
    Ain't that the truth.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Is this why Disney hasn't duplicated attractions like Journey to the Center of the Earth, or some of the many other unique Tokyo Disney attractions that the Oriental Land Company funded?

If so, then more power to OLC. Its sad that they seem to "get" Disney theme parks more than Disney does.
    I believe so. I'm not sure if the contract has an expiry date, or if Disney can pay the Oriental Land Company to use concepts from their parks though.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I believe so. I'm not sure if the contract has an expiry date, or if Disney can pay the Oriental Land Company to use concepts from their parks though.
    Very interesting. Does this also pertain to R&D that Disney has done for Tokyo Disney attractions on OLC's dime? Are ride systems like the ones Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Aquatopia, and Journey to the Center of the Earth utilize being withheld from other Disney parks because of OLC's contracts?

| | |

• Minion

Very interesting. Does this also pertain to R&D that Disney has done for Tokyo Disney attractions on OLC's dime? Is the introduction of ride systems like the ones Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Aquatopia, and Journey to the Center of the Earth utilize being withheld from other Disney parks because OLC doesn't want to share?
    From what I was told, they are allowed to use the same technology to create a new attraction. What they cannot do is copy the storyline or theme. They can use the trackless technology, but not for a Winnie the Pooh attraction or Aquatopia. They can use the advanced version of Test Track technology, but not for another Journey to the Center of the Earth. My guess is that Disney is just not willing to spend the vast amounts of money on this technology.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

From what I was told, they are allowed to use the same technology to create a new attraction. What they cannot do is copy the storyline or theme. They can use the trackless technology, but not for a Winnie the Pooh attraction or Aquatopia. They can use the advanced version of Test Track technology, but not for another Journey to the Center of the Earth. My guess is that Disney is just not willing to spend the vast amounts of money on this technology.
    Thanks for the info. What a shame. Instead of giving us epic new attractions, Disney just keeps re-using the same old tricks - like the omnimover. Instead of utilizing trackless technology that OLC has paid for, Disney is just going to re-use the cheaper omnimover ride system for the Little Mermaid at DCA. What a bore.

I just need to move to Japan and enjoy real Imagineering.

| | |

• Minion

Thanks for the info. What a shame. Instead of giving us epic new attractions, Disney just keeps re-using the same old tricks - like the omnimover. Instead of utilizing trackless technology that OLC has paid for, Disney is just going to re-use the cheaper omnimover ride system for the Little Mermaid at DCA. What a bore.

I just need to move to Japan and enjoy real Imagineering.
    I agree. I guess this is why they don't allow the Oriental Land Company to advertise their parks outside of Asia.

• Minion

wow cant wait!

• Stop That!

The Indiana Jones ride will be down just long enough to install the three Shia LeBeouf AA's.

• Banned User

Well, I checked out the official website for IJ, and wow. I am getting more worried

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Skpped to the end. Sorry if this was mentioned but I am at work so I don't have time to read everything.

I don't have any problems with an Indy overlay. I would much rather see Disney overlay their newer rides than the overlays of the classics like HM, POTC, IASW, the treehouse, and in some ways the subs.

In fact I think this is what Disney needs to do in general. Keep the classics the way they are and use them as the basis -- something that defines Disneyland. Then they can overlay the heck out of all their newer rides.

• Miss Marvel

This is weird. I saw a press release a week or so ago that had the title as CITY OF GODS.

Considering Lucas copyrighted six or seven different titles to confuse people, I don't know what to think any more.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• =)

I don't have any problems with an Indy overlay. I would much rather see Disney overlay their newer rides than the overlays of the classics like HM, POTC, IASW, the treehouse, and in some ways the subs.

In fact I think this is what Disney needs to do in general. Keep the classics the way they are and use them as the basis -- something that defines Disneyland. Then they can overlay the heck out of all their newer rides.
    I can understand where you're coming from, but that system doesn't work, I'm afraid. The thing is, doing it that way would prevent any "new classics" from forming. While Disneyland has a lot of fantastic older rides and a disturbingly large number of cheap new stuff, it's not a rule. Indy, IMO, is/will be as great a classic as HM and POTC. It's state-of-the-art, exciting, deeply themed, and one heck of a lot of fun. Only overlaying it and other newish rides simply because they're newish puts a little too much focus on nostalgia and not quite enough on inherent entertainment value. And, mind you, this is coming from a guy who doesn't like the POTC movie refurbs.

• Banned User

OK - I talked to another CM yesterday, won't say who, but he said there will definately be "references" to the new movie in the ride...more disturbing news.

• is too darn hot.

That's strange, because the ride takes place about 20 years before the movie.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast