• Circle of Ancients

Thoughts on Improving DCA by somebody who already loves the park

I thought it might be nice to see some thoughts on improving DCA by the people who already like the park. So not coming from a point of view of "The park sucks, and it needs this" but from a point of view of "The park is already great, but it would be EVEN BETTER if they did this"

Here are my suggestions:

Hollywood Backlot:

Playhouse Disney should stay, it's still quite popular, and soemthing for the Tots. Just needs updates once in awhile.
    Great Muppet Move Ride in Millionairre Building (not sure if it's big enough though). I'd hate to lose the muppets entirely.
    Turn Muppets into Philharmagic (already rumored)
    Turn "Hollywood and Dine" (Never Open) into Harry-Hausens from Monsters Inc fame (Themed restaurant).
    OPEN UP THE GATE NEXT TO TOWER OF TERROR. So you can walk into A Bugs Land/Cars Land/the rest of the park without having to backtrack through Hollywood.

Bugs Land:

Move a re-themed "Jumpin' Jellyfish" to a new expanded Bugs Land.
    Expand heimlichs train into the new area making it longer and expanding on the concept.
    Some kind of bugs themed kiddie coaster
    Take out "It's Tough To Be a Bug" and replace it with a HIGHLY themed Bugs Life dark ride. Something like the Peter Pan ride-system maybe riding on a Lady Bug. Maybe they can actually use the awesome ITTBAB queue then.

Grizzly Area:

Add bear AA's to the ride (already rumored)
    Add mine-train type ride to the area (already rumored)
    Take out Challege Trail (move it to Bugs Land and retheme it to an ant-hill or something)
    Add Western River Expedition (Pirates Style boat dark ride, HIGHLY THEMED) to this area. (not sure if there is room, but it's DISNEY, they can think of some way)

Paradise Pier:

Already being done, nothing to add, although a Monorail Stop couldn't hurt.

Cars Land (Rumor) in the Timon Lot

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: Thoughts on Improving DCA by somebody who already loves the park

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hollywood Backlot:

OPEN UP THE GATE NEXT TO TOWER OF TERROR. So you can walk into A Bugs Land/Cars Land/the rest of the park without having to backtrack through Hollywood.

Bugs Land:

Move a re-themed "Jumpin' Jellyfish" to a new expanded Bugs Land.
    Expand heimlichs train into the new area making it longer and expanding on the concept.
    Some kind of bugs themed kiddie coaster
    Take out "It's Tough To Be a Bug" and replace it with a HIGHLY themed Bugs Life dark ride. Something like the Peter Pan ride-system maybe riding on a Lady Bug. Maybe they can actually use the awesome ITTBAB queue then.
    Love all the ideas...with the dead end issue in Hollywood being the most important. Something has to be done back there.

In relation to a bugs land (since thats where I spend the majority of my time). Can we please replace the bumper cars with something the entire family can enjoy? I hate the height requirement, its slow and honestly with the space there has got to be something better that can be put in its place.

The Heimlichs expansion would be the most necessary for me in this area. It is such a wonderful ride, but its over before it really even begins.

Great Thread!

A little piece of heaven

I love DCA.

I would like to see another sit-down restaurant. The Golden Vine is one of my favorites, but another in the Hollywood Backlot would be nice. Soap Opera Bistro was a fun place to eat, its a shame that was taken out just as fast as Superstar Limo.

I'd like to see something big done at the Timon Parking Lot. Its just a huge parcel of land serving very little purpose at the moment.

I like all of your ideas clinksalot, I just hope the imagineers do not deviate from the California theme too much. But I have a feeling DCA is going to be a special park very soon down the road.

• Progressive Disneylander

I like many of the proposed Hollywood Backlot ideas in the OP. I have to admit that I'd like to see Playhouse Disney axed, somewhat selfishly, since it's not for me. I'm fine with the Flik's Fun Fair area for the kiddies, but I'd rather see the majority of attractions in the park that appeal to a broader audience than just little tots. I would like Playhouse Disney evolve into a production that I could also enjoy as well.

Since DCA lacks as many things to fill up the day as DL, it has too many attractions that cater specifically to a younger audience. Speaking of which...

The Challenge Trail area needs to be completely nixed. Too much real estate given to something that not only caters to just a small segment of the audience, but isn't overly popular either.

If Playhouse Disney were changed to a production that appeals to everyone and the Challenge Trail is replaced by an inclusive attraction, this could potentially add up to 60 to 90 minutes to everyone's day at DCA alone!

I also really dislike the dead end where the Tower of Terror is. I understand why it's there since they don't want to have the general population strolling through the kiddie area as a cut-through, but they need to then make it so you can walk around it.

I really want the Muppets to remain involved in DCA. It would be a shame to see them ousted from the park entirely if they do import Philharmagic. In fact, IMO, the Muppets presence should not only remain, but should be increased. I'd like to see an exclusive Muppets store and see character meets as well. A Great Muppet Movie Ride would be an interesting idea for sure!

As for the Grizzly River Rapids area, I've wanted AA bears since the first time I ever rode on GRR! I actually thought I missed them as we wisked through the cave since I heard them roaring. They also need to elimate that goofy extreme sports guy's voice from the attraction as well. That silliness strips away GRR's dignity.

I desperately want to tear down that golden sun icon when you walk in DCA. I don't know what it's significance is, but I really dislike it mainly because of where it's positioned in the park. It's kind of in the Sleeping Beauty's castle spot; a place of great significance in the park even if the icon itself serves little actual purpose.

IMO, a major, eye-catching icon should be built in this spot that sort of embodies the idea of the park and should not remain as a giant piece of tin that even makes for a bad picture. The goal should be to wow people when they first enter DCA and not make them say, "What's that?" and "Why would I want my picture in front of that thing?".

As for the rest, I'm just excited about all I have read concerning the upcoming changes and enhancements. It's going to turn DCA from being a good park into a great park!

I'm willing to sit back and let it all take shape over the next several years without wanting to change any of Disney's current plans. I mean, I don't want to lose something like The Maliboomer, but I have faith that a reworked DCA will be better for it and I'm willing to make some sacrifices for the overall cause.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I like the Challenge Trail, just for the trees and 'green space' it gives DCA.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

I would personally love to see Rock n' Roller Coaster come to DCA.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Really, my biggest complaint is the HEAT. Many parts (like that main walkway) are expanses of concrete or whatever surface. Just some trees or shade or something for the long walk from the plaza to the pier.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• tentacle menagerie

I think the idea of the gate being open to access TOT would be a great one.

I love the park too and like all your proposed ideas. woo hoo!
    colorless green ideas dream furiously