Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Least Favorite DL Change

I guess I consider myself a purist, but I will admit there are some changes made inside the park that I have welcomed...one for instance being the re-done Space Mountain.

However, when I think about park "upgrades," I realize that many have actually taken away from the overall park experience.

My question to y'all... what changes in the park are your least favorite.

I have 3....

1. The removal of the Peoplemover. A classic attraction removed, and all we have gotten is an empty track for nearly a decade. Has anyone noticed how bad the track looks when zooming over on the Monorail? I don't think its been swept sine Rods closed.

2. The removal of Country Bear Playhouse. Again... a classic taken out and replaced with a metiocre attraction at best.

3. The "new" DL Hotel Monorail station. We always ate at the Monorail Cafe at the start of our trips. I like Downtown Disney, but none of the restaurants there are signature Disney. Those types of restaurants are all places you can go to at any upscale mall complex.

• DL Nerd

Re: Least Favorite DL Change

the "missing" frontierland
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    the "missing" frontierland
    Aye. Frontierland as a whole; especially TSI.

Even though it's only temporary I dislike the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. If they want a Nightmare Before Christmas ride then build one, don't take away a classic for 4 months of every year.
    Matthew

• Closed Account

There have been so many terrible changes that it's almost impossible to pick just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    There have been so many terrible changes that it's almost impossible to pick just one!
    How true that is. What amazes me is that despite all the changes
    i have hated (about 90 percent of them) I still can't stay away from the park.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Time to play Pick-A-Turkey!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

My least favorite is the overlay done to the DL parking lot a little over 6 years ago...

• Banned User

By far it would have to be the removal of Captain EO

for me it would have to be the removal of the peoplemover. and taking the rockets from the peoplemover roof to the ground creating a horrible bottlenecking nightmare!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Gotta be the tomorrowland change. Tomorrowland was full of energy, in fact as a child, I could have stayed in that land all day. Doesn't have that feel anymore and I miss it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Turning Tahitian Terrace into Aladin's Restaurant was a huge mistake.

• Special Agent

Offering cheap annual passes.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Least Favorite DL Change

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Gotta be the tomorrowland change. Tomorrowland was full of energy, in fact as a child, I could have stayed in that land all day. Doesn't have that feel anymore and I miss it.
    I agree 100%

Once Upon A Time in TomorrowLand, things were flying, and whizzing past, and soaring, and diving (thankfully the Submarines have 'returned'), and moving - and now it just looks static and dead. The Astro Orbiter has all the excitement of riding 'Dumbo', and where the Rocket Jets once ruled over the Land high atop the tallest platform, we now have a Junk-a-Tron laying dead (waiting for Wall-E to clear away...), and where the PeopleMover once carried thousands of guests around the Land, we now have the dead bones of the failed Rocket Rods. The area around the Autopia still reaks of diesel (our Future?), and where one could once hop a rocket to the Moon or to Mars, you can now order a $40 pizza. Gratefully, they piled a huge un-sightly semi-circle of petrified dinosaur terds around the entrance to the Land as a warning for everyone to "Keep Out"

Our only hope is to dislodge the Giant Marble, and roll it like a giant bowling ball through the Land destroying all the mess in its path; No worries about hitting a living soul - just steer it away from the Submarine queue...

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Oh you have opened a Pandora's box with this one!

What changes that they have made that don't suck?!

Of course there is still enough "Disney" still alive at Disneyland that I go there at least once a week sometimes more!

My "Quick" list of things that come to mind by land:

Entrance:

1. Miss the approach to the entrance from the parking lot it was always a thrill to see the train station getting closer as you walked from your car.

2. That other place across the way....................

3. The fact that they dont have a seperate line for wheelchair renters from the stroller line and its' $55 so I bring my own and yes I know you get a $20 dep back.

Main St.:

1. Removal of Lincoln for the lame 50th movie which is going to Disapear in a few days thank goodness.

2. Removal of Disney's two offices BRING THEM BACK there was such a man as Walt Disney and he did have a little something to do with Disneyland!

3. The bright unnatural colors they paint the bldngs it should be 1900 authentic!

4. The removal of all the authentic locations like the Arcade and replace them all with over priced plushies from China.

5. The removing of the Fantasia flavor ice cream from the parlor it was a Disneyland only flavor bring it back even if it did cost a few cents for to offer it!

6. Lighting has been increased some areas are now too bright

Adventureland:

1. Dont mess with the Tiki birds! Bring back the full length show including the Offenbach piece!

2. Put back or something similar to the Polynesian restaurant there arent even variety foods available and the hula dance show was well very entertaining!

3. Jungle cruise kicks *** specially at night! Dont mess with the best.

4. Indiana Jones well its new but they should have one car that they can shut off or tone down its programmed movements and yes they could do that, so that disabled, little kids and grandparents can ride, remember "Disneyland is a place where parents can have fun with their kids" - Disney

5. Treehouse - Get the *&(&* rid of the Tarzan stuff! keep ALL animated related attractions to Fantasyland......they are violating the themes.

New Orleans Square:

1. A little too much "Captain Jack Sparrow TM" for my taste! Johnny Depp is cool and all and the movies are ok but the ride has been there for almost 40 yrs and the movies will be forgotten in 5 yrs....... also why can they call him Capt Jack or Jack Sparrow or .....why is every other word "Captain Jack Sparrow TM" I swear you hear it at least 4 times in the battle scene.

2. The old talking skull on pirates was cooler.

3. The projected head of Davy Jones just doesnt work..... you stare into the projector.

4. They should have a boat that wheelchairs can ride onto like Jungle cruise and be locked down or corralled so that it can take the fall and climb.

5. Put back all the original shops that sold things like antiques it made it much more realistic...

6. Put back the Haunted Mansion store and ACTUALLY SELL Haunted Mansion merchandise!!!! Not just NBC stuff...

7. Keep the Mint Julep bar open all the time and put mint leaves back in, jeez how much did that cost them .05 cents per cup?!

8. Put Mint Juleps and Monte Cristo Sandwiches back on the Blue Bayou menu

9. Dont ever mess with the Mansion! Im not kidding! what was all that insanity right after the movie came out and flopped where they put all sorts of gaudy props from the movie in thank goodness they came to their senses or were afraid of all the complaints they they removed them.

10. I'm ok with HMH but I am concerned about the wear and tear of the changes every year.

11. Go back to not raising the lights after the stretch room drop it was cool when it stayed black and then you noticed there was an openinginto the hallway.....

12. overall lighting is getting too bright!

13. If they can have 3d faces on the singing busts and leota projections back in 69 they can have them in 2007 for the new attic bride embarrasing!

14. They totally ruined the attic scene it was the only really scary part of the mansion where little kids would close their eyes because of the darkness and the popup ghost heads....that was the whole point you could survive that one creepy part because you loved the rest so much and it added to the mysteriousness....

15. also put back all the missing popup ghosts in the graveyard.

16. repaint the ghost bikes so that they are not bright flourescent groovy colors they are too bright and phony looking.

17. one change I might welcome would be the modifying of a buggy or two to take on wheelchairs again making it so it can contain them on the sloped areas if possible

CritterCountry or whatever they call it now adays...:

1. Bring back the bears and again dont violate theme lands by putting animated based attractions outside of fantasyland! so Poo Poo to Pooh!

Frontierland:

1. Fantasmic was cool but its now so watered down they should get ride of it it also violates the thems and causing a nightmare of traffic in the area, bring back the days when you could ride the Mark Twain at night and Jazz bands played on!

2. its is too dang bright in frontierland if there was anywhere it should be dark its here it was supposed to represent the old west and PRE electricity why now is it all covered in electric lights!

3. Bring back the mine train ride it was AWWWWEEEESOOOMMMMEEEE!!!!

4. bIG thunder is ok if you dont mind ALL THE MASACRES on the ride. apparently now one trains CM's to do their jobs whick leads to things like the columbia disaster no the sailing one not the spaceship.

5. oh and I have an idea on how to use that arena area there by the ranch in the fall put in Halloween Fall festival carnival ala Something Wicked this way Comes sort of thing might be cool... and a real snow covered wonderland in xmastime

FantasyLand:

1. The castle is just way to over the top colorful

2. bring back the sleepy beauty interior! I hear they are but I just had to say that lol

3. I like just about everything about Fantasyland tho I kinda miss the skyway buckets

4. Just DONT MESS WITH ANYTHING like remove Toad like they did in WDW

5. oh and try and control the ducks infesting the story book canal boats, it sort of ruins the magic of the little peter pan island miniatures WHEN GIANT MONSTROUSLY SCALED GODZILLA SIZED ducks are all over it lol

6. they mess wtih its a small world so much it has an identity crisis! and the physical scares all over to prove it! leave it alone!

Toontown:

No comment whatsoever...............

Tomorrowland:

Ahh Tomorrowland or is it was it yesterday land?

Where to begin?? ok...

1. GET SOME SORT OF ATTRACTION ON THE PEOPLE MOVER TRACK ASAP I dont care what the excuses are, if they could put up an entirely new ride in a year in Walts and bob gurr days they dont need years and years to put new cars on an existing track! I dont want to go into details its just too painful .....

2. GET RID of the 2D painted cheapycheezo buzz lightyear again another animated attraction that does not belong in Tomorrowland keep to the themes!

3. what on earth is with star tours! there have only been 4 new movies and decades of time why can they get a new flic out of George cheeeez&riiiice plez! yes I know the mumbo jumbo history and that they may be making a new film but heard that one for years....

4. I like pizza port but I like going to the moon or mars A WHOLE LOT BETTER!

5. bring back carousel of progress! anything else is lamo why is disney now so terrified of using audio animatronics?! in 69 there were hundreds now only a few. im sorry but poorly trained minimum wage untalented acne prone kids dont make for much of a show! sorry about that it was cruel and oh so true...

6. get rid of the unsightly obitron and put back the rocket jets and make them go even higher and farther out! hehehe

7. And Paaalleeezzz toss out the big oil sponsored gas guzzling fuming poluting autopia and put in electric powered futuristic looking cars with a cool futuristic little scaled town to drive thru with lights sound and motion efx come on you guys are supposed to be imagineers and have it be solar powered it is supposed to be tomorrowland should we wait till climate change due to carbon cause Disneyland to become a seaside resort?

8. I am so glad top see the subs back I can forgive the VIOLATION OF THE THEME AGAIN keep animated stuff out of non animated areas!

9 Figure out better smoking areas than the narrow bottleneck to the train in tomorrowland! what gives ? its like a gauntlet you have to hold your breath thru to get to the train and if you are disabled it is the train station you would use the most.

10. and and do something about the extrememly rough new ground they put in everywhere specially in tomorrowland I know its supposed to look cool but it is very rough to walk on and if you are in a wheelchair it is extrememly violent to drive over!

11. and why not try to put a cutting edge 50 yrs ahead of its time in technology loaded with animatronics far out awesome space adventure on the scale of Pirates in tomorrowland where you can visit alien worlds....
    oh I forgot that would cost too much money and the imagineers can imagine their way out of a wet paper bag these days ...you know one thing that Walt never thought about was "what would it cost, can it pay itself off quickly"..... and thank good ness for that because if he thought they way these guys do now there would NEVER have been a Disneyland in the first place

12. oh and keep the maintenance up seeing faded peeling carpet on the monorail and peeling paint on buildings is a disgrace!

I think that about covers it :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast