Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Small World Slated for 9-Month Refurb after the Holidays (Merged)

There's so much that we share, that it's time we're aware...that It's A Small World may be closed for the majority of 2008.

Reportedly (on a certain unmentionable Disney fan site's refurb list), the attraction will go down for an extensive refurbishment starting in late January, when It's a Small World Holiday concludes, until sometime in late October. The reopening date is questionable since the time frame is so close to next year's Holiday overlay, so it may be that we will not have any "normal" Small World next year.

No doubt this is going to spark plenty of speculation, because nine months is a very long time. Will the lighting be improved? The show scenes? The dull black ceilings? The dolls? You don't think WDI would dare add Disney characters to the attraction like Hong Kong's??

It should be noted that it wasn't long ago that the Magic Kingdom's IASW received a very lengthy refurbishment. The indoor facade was entirely redone, and I believe many if not all of the show scenes received paint jobs and general TLC.

I don't think this refurb is listed on the "official" calendar (not like it gets updated often), so I'm labeling this thread a rumor.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 09-10-2007 at 01:13 PM.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: Small World Slated for 9-Month Refurb after the Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    You don't think WDI would dare adding Disney characters to the attraction like Hong Kong's??
    Well it is lacking Pixar, so they might
    Last edited by DarthDucky; 09-27-2007 at 11:49 AM.

• Super Genius

^^^ nice handle‼

I'm glad I got that video footage yesterday
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Jeeze, 9 months??? What are they going to add in there? A Loop???

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

If anything is done, hopefully its the flooding of the showbuilding and the hiding of the flume.

I'm sure that require some major infrastructure upgrades, but it would offer a much nicer experience.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Wonderful World

If this is true I really hope they don't change it to much. Its a classic!
    I'm back MiceChat

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Jeeze, 9 months??? What are they going to add in there? A Loop???
    True but that ride needs some serious TLC. What's too bad is the Haunted Mansion gets a chance to clean up during the overlay and they always seem to get it looking good. Small world on the other hand has a holiday switch and it goes back to look like the same drab ride.

It doesn't need a whole lot of change content wise, but it needs a freshening up big time.

Chad

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If anything is done, hopefully its the flooding of the showbuilding and the hiding of the flume.

I'm sure that require some major infrastructure upgrades, but it would offer a much nicer experience.
    I'd settle just for the flooding; course, they may as well flood ToonTown and the Fantasy Faire too, since they're right there...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I'd settle just for the flooding; course, they may as well flood ToonTown and the Fantasy Faire too, since they're right there...
    Now don't be mean. A flood could kill the 15 guests that usually visit toontown & Princess Faire.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

I seriously doubt that DL's Small World will be "flooded" like WDW's is. The show scenes are not designed that way, and if they were modified to, it would take years, not months.

I remember this being discussed in an E-Ticket magazine; unfortunately I didn't bring it to college so I can't quote word for word. I believe Rolly Crump was debating whether or not to flood the sets when the attraction was brought over from the NY World's Fair, and Walt essentially said "No. The guests have got the trough, leave it the way it is." But eventually it was designed that way for the MK.

On a personal level, I don't like the idea. I have seen video of IASW at MK, and the scenes look too dark with all the water at the base of the sets. DL's is much more charming and intimate, and I think it is partially attributed to the lack of all that water.

That isn't to say that much can't be done to hide the access routes and speakers, cables and other brinc-a-brac you can see if you look down and to the sides. Also there is plenty of opportunity to "plus" the transitional black sections of the attraction, where currently there are simple stationary signs that introduce the next geographic area of the world.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 09-10-2007 at 01:33 PM.

I hope a 9-month refurb doesn't happen. My motives are purely selfish - we're visiting around Memorial Day (the first time for my wife and younger son) and I want everything to be open. How about a two month refurb. That sounds good.

-Reagan

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    You don't think WDI would dare add Disney characters to the attraction like Hong Kong's??
    Don't diss the Hong Kong characters unless you have seen them. The characters are subtle and very well done and a nice little detail to just about every country/scene in the ride. Though it is possible that DL might not get the characters because WDI was going to scan the characters for easy duplication in case other parks get interested, but the scanning was scrapped at the last minute when the characters were getting molded.

As for the Small World rehab, as I have said in other threads, IASW is the worst ride to be evacutated from. The structures are not really up to code, the walkways behind the sets are very awkward, its not really safe to be back there anyway, water/electircal pipes are all over the place, and there are beams painted flat black so you are sure to whack your head while walking under the sets. And all the supports for all of the scenes are the same rotting plywood beams from the World's Fair. So basically, it's not really "streamlined" compared to other attraction's evacuation routes.

It's a better experience as it is. At WDW, the scenes are much more distant than they are at DL and you are looking at them from a much lower angle so that you notice the plain ceiling much more. Now they have some more stuff up on the ceiling at WDW, so that partially compensates. But it is not a better experience. And there is no way they could complete such a change in 9 months.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Small World did get a major sound system improvement, not that long ago.
    Not sure what they would be doing for such a LONG period of time, when
    really it won't be drawing more people, anyway. And Flooding the
    entire show building is an entire waste of money, plus make it even more
    difficult for maintenance in the future. They would be better off getting
    the old motorboat cruise area in working condition.

• Hiding in the shadows

iasw has been in need of some real TLC for a long time. I would be really sad to see it down for such a long period, but honestly its missed needed smaller refurbs for a long time so if thats what it takes then I guess we will wait it out. This is my daughters favorite ride so I know she will miss it. 9 months is a LONG time for a 4 year old!

A little piece of heaven

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast