Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What No Crowds?

• ap holder

Red Face What No Crowds?

did you ever experience the park at its emptiest? and how and when was it? do you like the park better without the crowds?

& off topic but how crowded do you think the park will be this thursday the 13th?

thanks. have fun with this question mc-ers

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: What No Crowds?

Well, yeah, DUH!!! Two words: NO LINES!!! You can wait in line for any attraction with a wait less then 5 minutes!

• ap holder

when was this dan? im still in summer mode. where the crowds were unbareable. bad idea to go in the summer

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I was there this past Friday (the 7th) and it was the emptiest I'd ever seen the park (though my sample size is still rather small). 10 minute Space Mountain wait at 11:30 am, 10 minute Indy lasting throughout the day (though it was up to 20 by the end of the night). Walked on to Soarin' twice. The only line I saw that was too long to justify was Peter Pan. It was fantastic. There were still enough people that the human experience was still there, but it was so much more leisurely than my average trip. I have a shot of Main Street at about 2:30 that I couldn't believe who few people were there. Tons of fun!

Plus, I got my first Million Dreams prize (ears...weee).
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• ap holder

aw congrats on that :]. sounds like you hadf a blast plus who doesnt love those 10 min waits
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    Plus, I got my first Million Dreams prize (ears...weee).

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I went last April with my then 3 year old daughter and the park was pretty empty. It was also raining.

Also, I cant say what it will be like Thursday. My first guess is not too busy. I just got a text from a friend who is there right now and she said the wait for Nemo is an hour.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Former Loiterer

When I was in college a few years back, I took a panoramic photo of New Orleans Square when it was completely empty. It was probably around 10:30 in the morning and there was no one in sight. It was a great day. I'll have to look for the photo in my old college boxes somewhere. But that was way cool!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Kenny the Pirate

Aren't schools out on the 13th?
    Kenny the Pirate
    AKA Bad Mood t' Blackhearted
    Disney Dream Job Pirate Winner 2007
    Full WDW character and show schedules: www.kennythepirate.com
    Follow my adventures on twitter: www.twitter.com/kennypirate

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

You know what, I didnt even think about that. But my daughters are out of school and we live in Ventura County.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iwontwait View Post
    when was this dan? im still in summer mode. where the crowds were unbareable. bad idea to go in the summer
    It was this past Sunday, Caifornia Screamin' was a walk on. I rode it twice. Every ride is like a 15 minute wait.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

My least crowded day...was probably back in 1978 when I was in high school. It was POURING down rain and was a weekday...possibly a Friday and there was us and what seemed like 20 other people in the park. We road Space Mountain until we got tired of it...absolutely NO line throughout the day. I think we had ponchos but we were still soaked by the end of the day.

And yeah...no crowds and it's a whole different park.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Jewish holiday on the 13th. Most schools are out! I love that day because there is harldy any traffic in Los Angeles!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Banned User

When I was about 8 we went during the off season (back when DL would close at like 6) and the last ride of our evening was Splash Mountain, which broke down and we were walked off. By the time the evac finished the entire park was empty. We were walked to the gate by a DL security officer who let us take a picture in front of the RoA on the way out. you can see that the entire park is empty. It was so awesome to see it like that.

anyhow Disneyland is at it's greatest the emptier the park is. That's when Walt enjoyed it the most and I feel the same way. Even if you're not on attractions or shopping, or even eating, but just enjoying the heart and soul of Disneyland. Nothing like the off season.

From the Opus Way-Back Machine....

Way back when Disneyland was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays in the off-season...there would actually be days when the Cast outnumbered the Guests on some Wednesdays and Thursdays! There were rare attendance days as low as 3,000! But 5-12,000 mid-week was not at all uncommon.

Those days were fabulous! Sunny spring or fall days with just enough people in the Park to make it interesting...but not so many as to make it uncomfortable or crowded.

You explored Disneyland. Chatted at leisure with Cast in the shops. Watched the craftsmen create their wears. Learned about how things were done in the "old days." Cinderella would be sitting on the grass near the Castle with half a dozen or so tykes gathered around her intently listening to her read stories from a book. It was magical. The whole Park was magical. And charming. No mobs fighting and pushing for a picture.

And you had plenty of time for that and other things because there was hardly ever a line on the attractions you went on.

Back then...savvy locals knew if you wanted to take the kids to Disneyland and really do it right...you took them out of school for a day mid-week off-season...and that was the ONLY way to go, baby!

I don't think you'll ever find a day today with as low of attendance as some of those days back then. But there are days still where attendance is low and it's a much nicer time to visit.

Only today...on many of those days...it seems like half the shops and restaurants are closed (or close early).

I just got back from a Thursday, Friday, Saturday (Sept. 6,7, and 8) trip.

I got to the park around 1 on Thursday and it was the emptiest I had ever seen it. It was like being at DCA and it was awesome. 5 minute waits on Splash, Thunder, Star Tours. 10 on Space, Autopia, Roger Rabbit. 45 minutes for the subs--but this was midday, mind you! Fantasyland rides were walk-ons. Heck, Pirates was a walk-on. After riding Pirates once, we asked if we could go again and they sent us on through a second time--in a private boat no less. We were able to do this for several rides. So fun!

Friday we got to the park around 9 and it was similarly un-crowded. Lot's of elbow room on Main Street and New Orleans, which makes them ever so much more relaxing. By midday, though, the crowds had picked up and Saturday was crowded pretty much from the start (not giant crowds, but the usual spots were congested again and waits were back up to 25+ minutes on most of the majors--a big deal when just a day earlier you could pretty much stroll on to anything.)

In my younger days, I didn't mind the crowds. I was there on the Electrical Parades alleged final day and had a blast. Now a-days, though, I'm not so fond of the crowds. The body recovers slower from previous days and I'm carting around a 2-year old. Part of me still gets a warm fuzzy glow seeing all the folks packed into the ol' Park, but nothing beats walking on to Pirates, a 5 minute wait for Space Mountain, or a leisurely, comfortable, shove-free stroll through New Orlean Squares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast