Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Expanding the DL Monorail Line

If it's true what Al (and the LA Times) have to say about Disney operating two hotels at Garden Walk, and wanting to expand DCA and eventually build their third park at the strawberry fields, then how will people move around the resort WITHOUT expanding the monorail? It seems to me that some serious thought should be given to making a Garden Walk station on the monorail, so that those hotel guests could easily get over to the theme parks. If they don't do this, they're going to find high guest dissatisfaction with the fact that the premium boutique hotels are a long walk away from the parks (or a shuttle or car ride away), compared with the deluxe DL and GCH guests who can walk or hop the monorail presently.

It's time to consider a major expansion of the system, perhaps also extending from Downtown Disney up to Mickey and Friends before looping back to Disneyland park, as well as going around the back of DCA and having a station and second park entrance down there closer to the Strawberry fields.

Does anybody have any news about what they're considering at this point?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Expanding the DL Monorail Line

More more more...you Monorail-expansionists have one-track minds...

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

I like your idea, but I think that history dictates that when we have the oppurtunity to efficiantly expand mass transit in Southern California we don't. So I believe that Disney will do what Los Angeles decided to do in the 50's, use buses.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• On A Disney World Tour...

Agree, but Disneyland's Monorail becoming a real mass transit system seems too much like a problem to me. WDW Monorail is large enough to accomodate the many guests that needs it.
    In Disneyland, it's more like an attraction isn't it ? Gets very convenient to get to DTD but I don't think it could handle this kind of crowd, could it ?
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Can Only Wish For More!

The monorails we use are too small. We would need to overhaul the entire system before adding another station.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If we had a station at Mickey and Friends, a station in Tomorrowland, one over at Garden Walk and another in DCA, they could have 4 trains running at the same time, all departing equi-distant spaced stations and arriving in the next station at the same time. Just like Walt Disney World's system.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    The monorails we use are too small. We would need to overhaul the entire system before adding another station.
    They could extend them by one car like WDW. Just extend the platforms at the stations and voila.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    I like your idea, but I think that history dictates that when we have the oppurtunity to efficiantly expand mass transit in Southern California we don't. So I believe that Disney will do what Los Angeles decided to do in the 50's, use buses.
    Actually if you're gonna use history, it actually dictates that Walt Disney bucked the 'car craze' trend in 1959 to operate 'the west coast's first daily operating monorail'. The Walt Disney Company is still many years ahead of SoCal, as they operate three monorail systems, if you could the two lines at WDW too.

•   

The monorail, IMO, represented the model for a 'futuristic' public tranportation system, not a working reality. I don't think the distance is great enough to warrant all the changes necessary to accomodate the demands of heavier passenger use; changes that would, I believe, ultimately erode the entertainment value of the Monorail, regardless of its increased 'usefulness'. Just my opinion, however.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Mr. Disney was more interested in demonstrating the practical use of new inventions than novelty value of an attraction, wasn't he? That's why his version of EPCOT never had World Showcase or Soarin' but had apartments and commercial office space and scientific laboratories.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Mr. Disney was more interested in demonstrating the practical use of new inventions than novelty value of an attraction, wasn't he? That's why his version of EPCOT never had World Showcase or Soarin' but had apartments and commercial office space and scientific laboratories.
    I dunno...his Peoplemover (as concept) was terrific, but never actually transported anyone anywhere...not very practical. I understand your point--demonstrating the practical applications is one thing, but applying them to everyday life is another. I feel that if the Monorail is used in a utilitarian manner (as it is in the MK) it would be a mistake and a shame, as it would make the extraordinary sort of ordinary--a glorified 'el' train. I dunno...I guess I am just fond of the Monorail as an attraction, and would hate to see it become mere 'transportation'.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah but part of the ATTRACTION is that it is getting your family safely back to their hotel beds at night, and you don't have to walk there. I see the point you're making, but to me the 'fun' of riding it will always be there (so long as there's a station in Tomorrowland and you get to go through hotels, around a Matterhorn and over a sub lagoon.) But if it gets me back to my hotel room (at Garden Walk) or lets me park-hop or get over to the hotels without walking past Denny's, well then it makes whatever other adventures that await within the monorail loop feel more connected to the magic in the theme park.

That's why monorail-connected hotels are more popular than the ones connected to the them parks via buses. Who doesn't love staying in a Magic Kingdom area hotel and using the monorails to get over to the park.

What magic you don't have over there is the monorails on that line don't go inside the theme park, you just pass by it. But riding over EPCOT on the other line gives you that same thrill.

So the answer is to not tear out the winding tracks above Tomorrowland for efficiency's sake, I don't mind keeping a long and winding track through Disneyland as part of the route over to the Garden Walk and other areas. It takes a little longer but it's a lot more fun.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If we had a station at Mickey and Friends, a station in Tomorrowland, one over at Garden Walk and another in DCA, they could have 4 trains running at the same time, all departing equi-distant spaced stations and arriving in the next station at the same time. Just like Walt Disney World's system.
    The Walt Disney World Monorail does not operate on the equidistant system you describe. It is not uncommon to see a train sitting on the tracks awaiting for the blocks ahead to clear. Disneyland would also have to purchase new monorails as it would be better to have at least one spare.

They could extend them by one car like WDW. Just extend the platforms at the stations and voila.
    The Mark IVs featured five cars like the Mark V, but were still larger. The Mark VIs have six cars and are larger than the Mark IVs.

New monorail trains are supposed to be at Disneyland next month. Golden gate bridge at CA is supposed to go away during the re-build of CA since it wont fit in with the theme of the park entrance. Monorail line is extreamly expensive to build. At Disneyland the Monorail is an attraction and not a source of transportation. Disney is not going to operate the hotels at Garden Walk, they will be operated by other companies, Disney themed and Disney CM's. I would expect either buses or trams like they use from the current parking lots. Much cheaper to buy, operate and no special tracks. Since Disney owns all kinds of property in the area they can build thier own roads for the trams and use a tunnel under the major roads as needed just like traveling from Mickey and Friends PG.

They could build a loop from the parking structure to the West side security station. , then around to Paradise pier, DLH and back to the parking structure.

Then they can build a loop from the new hotels, to the strawberry fields park and then on around to the the East side security structures. and then back to the new hotels. 10 years down the road when it's needed.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast