Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Re: Would You Be Happy with the Tomorrowland?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Also, I've always wondered this about the new Star Tors film. Seriously, what about the people that never saw/don't understand Star Wars in the first place? I say put something not movie-based in that area.
    Agree! They need something NEW in that area!
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

Actually, Star Tours is one of the most complete attractions in Disneyland. One does not need to have any awareness of the story as it exists in other media to understand it. Some of the Fantasyland attractions do not even stand-up to the same test.

I know several people think that giving George Lucas the honor of having his creations featured so prominently in Disneyland is not right, and I used to think so, myself, to an extent. But, when one considers the number of productions for which Walt Disney was responsible that were based on pre-existing source material, I think it's easy to consider George Lucas among Mark Twain; J.M. Barrie; Kenneth Grahame; and, some of the other original authors that have all contributed to Disneyland.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

So, I didn't have to have seen Star Wars or know ANYTHING about it to understand Star Tours (the ride)?

Yes, the exposition in the walk-through portion of the attraction is very thorough.

• Banned User

Is it easy to take it all in at the preshow, or is it a lot of complex characters to try to memorize before you ride? I really like simple, uncomplex storylines and characters.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Almost, but not quite. There's better uses for the upper half of Starcade and better uses for the Carousel building.
    He suggested putting back Carousel of Progress. How can there be a better use for the building than what it was originally built for?

I believe C-3PO and R2-D2 establish the Galactic Empire and the conflict that is still occuring in some parts of the galaxy. They recount a few of their experiences with the Empire, and the rest of the exposition establishes the Star Tours passenger carrier, itself, as well as the new line of Starspeeders and droid pilots.

The advertisements playing in the terminal additionally give passengers a sense of the breadth of the Star Wars universe.

TL needs more educational attractions like ATIS.
    That was one of the reasons I fell in love with DL when I was growing up, many moons ago. Not only would I be entertained, but educated in a fun way. And that's why much of the attractions' details stayed with me for so many years as opposed to trying to remember a three-minute ride on a Tilt-a-Whirl at my nearby amusement park.
    I enjoy thrill rides as much as the next person, but being able to learn something while entertained is the best of both worlds IMHO.

• Banned User

Very true, redcon1.

Unfortunately, educational entertainment attractions tend to become outdated quickly, which is why we're stuck with non-educational, cheesy cartoon rides.

• Minion

>>"merlinjones" would you be alright with possibly moving the Mary Blair murals to the Disneyland Hotel? In another thread, I suggested making the Disneyland Hotel into a kind of museum. In that way, anything that was culturally-significant, yet, out-of-place or outdated would be able to be preserved in a really unique and nostalgic stylized environment.<<

Well, I don't see Mary's handcrafted tiles as outdated, simply stylish and modern and very Walt Disney - - sort of modernist civic art - - unlike the tacky bus station billboards we have for "murals" today. The Hotel would be better than not-at-all, but I still wouldn't present it as a museum or nostalgic tribute, only good art for the ages from a true artist.

Back in TL: How about animated jumbotron murals that break away from the Mary Blair images into futuristic ads for Tomorrowland travel?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

In place of Cosmic Waves, they could put in a nice fountain that people won't/can't climb into.

I think the Innoventions building should just get something new, not something old. It's Tommorowland.

In place of HISTA, and I've said this before in other threads, instead of basing it on a movie, they should show the progress in Imagineering at Disneyland, and every once in a while update the ending to show some footage of new attractions with new technology heading to the parks. They could show footage from the AAs being made for Pirates and so forth.

The "Jumbotron" idea sounds great. I know Eddie Sotto was really interested in "media cloth" even though he is no longer in Imagineering.

The work he did with the ABC studio in New York was really exciting, and I can see the new Tomorrowland featuring tons of LED's in that way.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I think the Innoventions building should just get something new, not something old. It's Tommorowland.
    Hear, hear! Disneyland as a whole is about moving forward, not going back, and Tomorrowland is the embodiment of that. Yet I'm constantly hearing people dying to bring back old attractions, especially in Tomorrowland. If we bring back old attractions instead of creating new ones, we're going to get a living museum.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    So, I didn't have to have seen Star Wars or know ANYTHING about it to understand Star Tours (the ride)?
    I hadn't seen Star Wars before riding Star Tours. I remember watching the scene with the Death Star and thinking it all looked oddly familiar...

And while I'm at it, I always thought Rocket Jets were kind of redundant. Most of my friends call it "Space Dumbos." It's the same ride we've got in Fantasyland. It's great for a kinetic touch to Tomorrowland, but it doesn't really seem like we need both rides.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast