Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Would You Be Happy with the Tomorrowland?

>>And while I'm at it, I always thought Rocket Jets were kind of redundant. Most of my friends call it "Space Dumbos." It's the same ride we've got in Fantasyland. It's great for a kinetic touch to Tomorrowland, but it doesn't really seem like we need both rides.<<

Are you too young to have ridden the rocket jets up high on the platform on a summer night with the stars above and the lights of tomorrowland and Anaheim far below? - - the transcendant experience was NOTHING like Dumbo...

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Rocket Jets may have provided a good view but what is the KIDS (it's intended for them) are afraid of heights?

Not to mention, the elevator slows loading even more.

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Instead of bringing any previous attraction into the Innoventions building, I think that Disney should still keep the building but demolish every single thing inside of it. Then, that whole building space can be a completely NEW E-Ticket that is NOT based on a film!
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Are you too young to have ridden the rocket jets up high on the platform on a summer night with the stars above and the lights of tomorrowland and Anaheim far below? - - the transcendant experience was NOTHING like Dumbo...
    Amen, brother!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Rocket Jets may have provided a good view but what is the KIDS (it's intended for them) are afraid of heights?

Not to mention, the elevator slows loading even more.
    Actually, the Rocket Jets appealed to a lot more than just kids. It's extra added thrill of height attracted lots of teens and adults. The simple fact that it was way up there transformed the experience from "just a carny ride" like is, sadly, is now. And I don't think the elevator slowed loading at all. There was also a good sized queue at the top which the elevator merely fed into. BTW. I have a great fear of heights and LOVED the Rocket Jets for the "danger" it implied.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I think the Innoventions building should just get something new, not something old. It's Tommorowland.

Well, I know Tomorrowland is all about new ideas and futuristic technology. They can easily make COP new again though. Why not bring Carousel of Progress back to Disneyland and let it relate to 2005's modern age and think up new things for the future just like Walt Disney did for the House of the Future, he introduced the flat screen tv, and the microwave, no one though it could come true, but it did. I know innoventions does the same thing, but why not bring back COP so they could use futuristic things in the show as well.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

I think it's a great idea for Tomorrowland. The one thing I would add is closing Innoventions, demolish the old Carousel of Progress/ Innoventions building (which I know some of you may have a problem with) to make room for Mission: Space.

Hmmm, I think that list is very thorough and also very satisfactory. However, I am happy with Tomorrowland in any form because a bad Tomorrowland is still much better than a good anywhere else.

That being said...
    I think what Tomorrowland needs, and the entire Disney Kingdom for that matter is to live up to it's title. Think about when Tomorrowland first opened...there were such fascinating things: nuclear fusion, aluminum was new, and the 20,000 Leagues exhibit. Now, while much of Tomorrowland was built out of necessity, isn't it about time they tried to actually play to the public's fascination with the future?

In the 50's it was the space race...now, it's communications, private space travel, new energy sources, and Home Entertainment. The Starcade is something one expects to see in an everyday shopping mall. Star Tours is still fun, but Disney needs to take the initiative and develop something completely new and exciting. They need to face it, they have the money. Star Trek: The Experience has a better simulator ride.

The peoplemover does not need to come back. But a new peoplemover with a hydrogen-cell core, possibly with corporate tie-ins to an American Auto Company may be worthwhile. It could be a Magic Skyway 2K5+ (former World's Fair Disney Attraction).

As much as I hate to say it, Innoventions has the right idea, it's just in the here and now, instead of the future. It's a good concept, but poorly executed.

Finally, the submarine lagoon. I honestly believe that the sub's had their time, and they should be allowed to dive into Disneyland history with grace, instead of coming back as Finding Nemo. Land opened by the lagoon along with a renovated or rebuilt show building has numerous opportunities. An underwater adventure is not out of the picture. But once again, Disney must live up to it's advertising, and allow the Imagineers to play. I'm very surprised with rides like Spiderman @ IOA, and DarKastle @ BGW, Disney has not yet attempted this. Indy is a classic example of what happens when the Imagineers have a good time.

I love Disneyland history, but I think Walt Disney would be plenty happy that after fifty years of Disneyland, if only the castle and his Main Street were still around, and what was left was new and exciting. He was a man with a short attention span, he knew the value of progress.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Unfortunately, the future isn't quite so fascinating to people as before, which leads me to think people won't mind cartoony junk (IMO) for Tomorrowland.

People don't really care about space travel anymore. They like Space Mountain because it's thrilling, not because of the theme. Same for Mission: Space in WDW. Same thing for most other futuristic concepts people used to be fascinated with.

It's a shame - but true.

• Minion

>>Unfortunately, the future isn't quite so fascinating to people as before, which leads me to think people won't mind cartoony junk (IMO) for Tomorrowland.

People don't really care about space travel anymore. They like Space Mountain because it's thrilling, not because of the theme. Same for Mission: Space in WDW. Same thing for most other futuristic concepts people used to be fascinated with.

It's a shame - but true.<<

Not true at all. This bull is only a glib "truism" of trend marketers (who set the trends through their own slanted surveys) and bigmouths in media/scholarly circles who have endlessly promoted the "popularity" of "dark" futures for political and allegorical reasons, negating any possibility that positive futurism be associated positively with Western ideals going forward (IE: Walt's ideals or midcentury American ideals). Through sheer repetition folks like yourself have bought into the "facts." If it isn't Eastern, it must be portrayed as the road to destruction and decay. The sparkling capitalist/corporate future of Walt Disney's 50's-60's Tomorrowland is not out of step with the people, but the trendsetters and tastemakers. The common people like the fantasy of space-age camp and optimistic/helpful science and happy-ending sci-fi and hopeful midcentury modernist art - - always have always will.

The proof is right in Anaheim.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-12-2005 at 10:29 PM.

• CM for 4 years!

I still think the concept of Tomorrowland as a "World on the Move" is very pertinent still-- everyone is moving around on planes and trains and automobiles, and seeing so many more parts of the world so much more casually than they were ever were able to in the past. Also, we are all coming together culturally. How beautiful is it to imagine a Tomorrow where everyone can live together, no matter the culture.

It's would be Mary Blair's murals brought to life.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Re: Would You Be Happy with this Tomorrowland?

I like it. I also like that a lot of it is really not unlikely.
    Cheers,

John

• Basking in birthday love

Actually, I am. I'm know we went to Disneyland with some frequency when I was younger, but those trips are all blurred together, so none of the details stand out. I'm trying to conjure up memories of Tomorrowland, but aside from running to Space Mountain first thing in the morning (which was a long-standing tradition), the earliest memory I can dig up is Rocket Rods, which had just opened. That would have been the summer I turned 12. (My actual earliest memory of the park is watching Party Gras from the corner near the lockers. I was barely 4 then, but you don't forget that creepy talking head.) What we've got now is what I've always known.

I don't find it hard to believe that Rocket Jets were a completely different experience when they were where they belonged. But as it stands, the only distinction from Dumbo is the different paint job and the shorter line.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    He suggested putting back Carousel of Progress. How can there be a better use for the building than what it was originally built for?
    So the best use of Buzz Lightyear would be a return to CircleVision? Or Hall of Chemistry?

The Carousel building had a ton of space carved out for Innoventions, and there's a lot of oppertunities because of that. I liked the Flying Saucers idea that was being tossed around. If it was my park, I'd paint the entire interior dark like one of the Fantasyland rides and have an entry dock near the door. The entire room would look like outer space, with fiberoptic stars all over the walls as well as on the floor so that it looks like you're driving the saucer around out in space. Hang some planets and a Sun around with some effects so that the sun appears to be glowing, Saturn appears to have rings floating in air, Neptune puts off a really neat color due to a blacklight effect, etc.

As such, the floorspace of the building, could become a big saucer driving pavillion. And you've given the Guest something to DO instead of something to merely SEE.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Well, I don't see Mary's handcrafted tiles as outdated, simply stylish and modern and very Walt Disney - - sort of modernist civic art - - unlike the tacky bus station billboards we have for "murals" today. The Hotel would be better than not-at-all, but I still wouldn't present it as a museum or nostalgic tribute, only good art for the ages from a true artist.
    Although artist types may disagree, they're considered retro by the masses today. It is, after all, a reflection of the way we were, optimistically hoping for a way of life we'll probably never be able see.
    This bull is only a glib "truism" of trend marketers (who set the trends through their own slanted surveys) and bigmouths in media/scholarly circles who have endlessly promoted the "popularity" of "dark" futures
    Actually, it's pretty common practice worldwide now. Oddly enough, Disney is partly to blame for it. The two most commonly cites sources of the future today by the older folks who invision it are Blade Runner and Tron.

IE: Walt's ideals or midcentury American ideals
    That's because that period of America was a bit of a happy-go-lucky fraud that nobody in their right mind wants to return to. All that jazz about the 50s nuclear family was actually a bunch of bull.

That gleaming vision of the future was very white (as in skin, not paint), very male-dominated and very, very corporate. Honey, I'm so excited that our little town is soon to get it's very own GE nuclear reactor just like the big city! It also lacked in any kind of ethnic-centric culture (except, strangely, for the Mary Blair murals), everyone seemed to fit one mold of the upstanding citizen.

The sparkling capitalist/corporate future of Walt Disney's 50's-60's Tomorrowland is not out of step with the people
    Sometime in the 60s/70s people started becoming distrusting of their government and realized their CEOs are pigs. This is when that vision started becoming less relevant in society.

The common people like the fantasy of space-age camp and optimistic/helpful science and happy-ending sci-fi and hopeful midcentury modernist art - - always have always will.
    True, but they only like it as an entertaining diversion from the way things really are. As Disneyland is supposed to exist outside the fringes of reality, it makes perfect sense to make a Tomorrowland like that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast