Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: A Sneek Peek? (Grizzly Peak concept art)

I love the sketches! The only thing I would like to see is maybe have a station on the other side of Grizzly so that people could get from one side to the other. I know it's not a long walk, but it could be kind of cool. That way each station could have a different feel to it. The one in the sketch could be outside near the "fall" of the ride, whilst the other could be inside a dark cave full of bats and other eerie creatures!

...Joe...

Thanks for the scans. Just the additional movement on Grizzly Peak would add interest.

I love the idea of gravity cars like used to exist on Mt. Tam/Muir Woods.

It would be great if the remodeled Taste Pilots Grill could incorporate some of the Country Bear clan. After all, this attraction had its early designs as part of Walt's desire to build Mineral King.
    The Mur

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Thanks for the scans. Just the additional movement on Grizzly Peak would add interest.

I love the idea of gravity cars like used to exist on Mt. Tam/Muir Woods.

It would be great if the remodeled Taste Pilots Grill could incorporate some of the Country Bear clan. After all, this attraction had its early designs as part of Walt's desire to build Mineral King.
    I'll probably get boo'd for this, but maybe it could be something similar to that of Chuck 'E' Cheese? Kind of like every so often a wall would come up or a curtain would rise and the Country Bear Jamboree would commence!

...Joe...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    So maybe I'm paranoid, but...

I'm going to scan the 2 (yes, TWO) pieces of concept art that show the Grizzly Peak railroad...and the scanner dies.

Yes, multiple four-letter words were uttered.

I figured some TDA and/or WDI demons had witnessed my previous scanning and had now possessed my scanner.

Luckily, a quick exorcism (and some jiggling of the power cords) later, we end up with these:

Yay! In the second picture, you can make out quite a few of the details, such as the station, a bridge, and you can almost make out the complete circuit the railroad would take!

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks so much for the scans. I need to buy this book ASAP.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• ...TWO BITS!

I just noticed in the Grizzly Railway sketch, they didn't put the monorail track. Could this be a hint or the artist just didn't feel like drawing that in??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I just noticed in the Grizzly Railway sketch, they didn't put the monorail track. Could this be a hint or the artist just didn't feel like drawing that in??
    Oh wow. Good catch.

Could this possibly be a hint at re-routing the Monorail so it doesn't interfere with DCA, which could be part of some greater expansion, re-working of the Monorail route?

No, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Yeah, I also noticed the lack of a monorail. If they went through with rerouting the monorail as the picture suggests, they could put the train through the hotel in place of the monorail. IMO that would better integrate the hotel with the park, not to mention it would be more thematically correct.

• Minion FOREVER!

A point about the lack of monorail tracks in the GRR train pic.

The artist was working on the concept for a train around GRR. Not Soar'n. That part (and the Grizzly Peak)
    are not to scale (and missing other detail like the rocket/water tower... too close to Test Pilot, etc)

The monorail track is actually at the extreme right-most edge so this probably means very little
    about what actually happens to the monorail. (I wish it went around, too!)

BTW. this is an extremely clever idea for an internal train loop... kind of like turning DL inside out.
    I hope they do put a station on the other side as well. That'll give both motion and something of note
    on the other side of Grizzly Peak which it sorely lacks.

Anyway, my HO....

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    I hope they do put a station on the other side as well. That'll give both motion and something of note on the other side of Grizzly Peak which it sorely lacks.
    That would make the ride pretty short, wouldn't it? I don't think the train would be large enough for a "stay on as long you like" policy.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Wow, I really hope that they keep the train in!
    It all looks really nice!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Has anyone gotten their book from DLR, or is it only available through Amazon? I read the posts last week and checked at Disneyana, 20th Century Music, Off the Page, and World of Disney, and no book!!! The Disneyana folks didn't even know what I was talking about (I miss the Gallery )

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    They wont need to , Grizzly peak like every other Disney mountain, is pretty much hollow, and not much to break down. The train appears to go through a bunch a "filler", rocks that are there for show, and don't contribute to any structureing of the ride or the mountain peak itself. I don't really have any doubt that this won't get built, WDI has built a concept model, and after all, John Lasseter is a train guy (he owns Ollie Johnston's locomotive now) so its quite possible. And about having a train going through the mountain, anything is possible at Disney(land)!
    Sorry, but Grizzly Peak is not just a hollow shell (like Expedition Everest), and there is quite a lot of plumbing and other infrastructure within the structure. They would have to essentially build a foundation under the entire length of the track for support.

Youíre right that it probably wonít get built. There has been no model built and the only reference to the idea has been in sketches and renderings first pitched over a year ago to impress Lasseter (yes, because he IS a big train fan). Yes, anything is possible, but the more impossible the challenge, the costlier it is to overcome. As they are applying a bears animatronic overlay on the attraction, are they willing to spend a good portion of their remaining budget on rebuilding a lot of the mountain in order to be able to install a relatively short ride.

• Minion

Re: A Sneek Peek?

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    That's what I'm wondering...of all the things Al has talked about for that area, I've been hoping the most for the AA nature scenes that Lasseter was coming up with for GRR and potentially a mine train thru nature's wonderland-type attraction to go through that area.

I have to get a copy of this book...
    Most of the concepts being shown were in development before Lasseter came to Disney (His mid project involvement in the Nemo Subs helped overcome park resistance and budget reductions that had impacted the quality of the ride).

Beyond that, and in spite of Lasseterís train fascination, I donít think that thereís much chance that the train will be included in the Grizzly Peak enhancement.

• something else...

To bring it to a place that was talked about probably 50 posts ago...the cars in the hub look more like old Nat'l Park vehicles akin to those one would still see at Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana (I don't know if they have them in Yosemite.) and those would fit in very well with the area that it is just outside of. No this is just conjecture, because we haven't seen the other side of the new plaza, but i think it would be neat to see a different vehicle hub that travels into HPBL that were from around whatever time they're thinking of remodeling it into.
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't have time to go through the whole thing, so not sure if somebody mentioned it, but where redwood creek is/was, you can see the DVC villas at the Grand Californian.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast