Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

A Sneek Peek? (Grizzly Peak concept art)

So I received my pre-ordered copy of The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak by Jason Surrell from Amazon today, and as I was thumbing through it, I reached a lovely two-page spread of some Grizzly Peak concept art on pages 100-101. But something looked amiss...

-There was a sign that read "Grizzly Peak" in place of "Condor Flats"

-Condor Flats was very green

-There was a street car on a set of tracks in the entrance plaza, along with 1950's era "surfer" cars, one of which is shown in motion.

Now me being me, I immediately thought that this was an early concept. But too many of the current DCA details were there. So then I jumped in the other extreme direction,

"Is this what WDI has cooked up for this part of DCA?"

"No, of course not." I think to myself, "Disney wouldn't dare release new concept art before the big DCA redo is officially announced."

But how could I be sure? So I turned to page 99 and read the caption for the art, which said:

"2007 Dan Goozee view of Grizzly Peak."

I have seen the future...and it is good.

Unless that date is a typo.

Has anyone else seen this? And is this what the future has in store?

• Head Salesman

Re: A Sneek Peek?

Pic?

How's the book? I have Jason Surrell's HM & POTC books, which I absolutely LOVE.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

I'm working on a pic as we speak, and from what I've actually read of it so far (only a few pages), I would put it right up there with his HM and POTC books. I especially like his in-depth look at the Matterhorn, illustrated with a lot of construction pictures and sketches I hadn't seen before.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    So I received my pre-ordered copy of The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak by Jason Surrell from Amazon today, and as I was thumbing through it, I reached a lovely two-page spread of some Grizzly Peak concept art on pages 100-101. But something looked amiss...

-There was a sign that read "Grizzly Peak" in place of "Condor Flats"

-Condor Flats was very green

-There was a street car on a set of tracks in the entrance plaza, along with 1950's era "surfer" cars, one of which is shown in motion.

Now me being me, I immediately thought that this was an early concept. But too many of the current DCA details were there. So then I jumped in the other extreme direction,

"Is this what WDI has cooked up for this part of DCA?"

"No, of course not." I think to myself, "Disney wouldn't dare release new concept art before the big DCA redo is officially announced."

But how could I be sure? So I turned to page 99 and read the caption for the art, which said:

"2007 Dan Goozee view of Grizzly Peak."

I have seen the future...and it is good.

Unless that date is a typo.

Has anyone else seen this? And is this what the future has in store?
    Sounds fantastic. But what would be even better is a scan of this concept art!

Edit: just saw your above post. Can't wait for the pic!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Well the book is relatively new so it could be a possible connection.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Well the book is relatively new so it could be a possible connection.
    Relatively new? Heck, it just came out yesterday!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

There have been rumors of concepts that you have mentioned. I think someone (Al?) indicated that John Lasseter was enthusiastic about the concepts.

Anxious to see the scan!
    The Mur

• n/a

and look up at the top left, that ain't the challenge trail.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Awesome!

Show us the goods!

Okay, here goes nothing:

In the upper right is my computer, because, as MasterGracey said, the book is so new it won't stay open on it's own!

All of the "fun" stuff is in the lower right-hand corner. The red thing is the streetcar, and the black line is actually two lines, looking like tracks. The blue thing next to the red streetcar's Station (I'm assuming) is one of the 50's era roadsters, a matching green car is about to drive over the book's binding from right to left.

If we look to the current Condor Flats area, we can see that the Soarin' building is now very green. In fact, about the only thing that looks like it doesn't receive the "green" treatment is the pavement, which still showed one of the runway markings (The end of runway "bars"). Also, it looks some trees would be planted in the area.

The sign leading into the current Condor Flats area does say "Grizzly Peak" on it. The art here makes the sign itself look wood-carved, with stone supports, keeping with the current Grizzly Peak Recreational Area theme.

Something else that caught my eye was the fountain down at the bottom of the right page, around which the streetcar tracks run. Is that currently there? Also, does the entrance plaza there look more open in the art compared to the current sunshine plaza?

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Wow, that looks awesome. If that was actually implemented, I would be a very happy MiceChatter.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I can't wait until by copy arrives so I can see this better!

It actually seems like a great way to let out some information and get people excited without actually commiting to anything. Now Disney has internet fanboys talking and excited. Yet if something changes there has been no open commitment and the image is nothing but another piece of concept art in an official book that only the fanboys know exists.

Good catch!

This definately fits with everything we have been hearing about the work they are doing on DCA.
    MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

wow, thats awesome, I need some close ups now haha

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Wow, you got a live one! You've just posted on the Internet some of the first concept art for the revamped DCA. Not sure if this was a purposeful slip by Disney, or one of those silly little things where something just slipped out because the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in a big organization like Disney.

But however it got included in the book, there it is and you just posted it online for the first time. Planned DCA improvements really do exist! That is definitely a concept sketch of one of the proposals to change DCA. If I were to guess, this is an earlier sketch when the idea of changing DCA's theme a bit was just developing.

Perhaps this is even a sketch that dates back two years or more to the Matt Ouimet era and this was a version of his "Placemaking" ideas to revamp sections of DCA? The ideas Al has been talking about for DCA in the past few months are even grander and bigger than this picture represents, so my bet is that this is an early version of the concept that is likely two or three years old at this point and now more fully fleshed out with even more additions or changes.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast