Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Re: Animation Building Changes for DCA

I personally like the current building, especially at night.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It would make a great enterance for a ride. Queue up in the lobby and then launch into Disney's most famous animated movies in a medium speed adventure type ride in the dark, with sharp twists, turns and a few sudden drops.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

^ now your thinking

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I have also thought animation looks good at night but I never really thought about how it doesn't really stand out mostly because I knew what to look for from being around the forums and such so long

making it more obvious would be a great step

I hope that when they change the facade over they can keep some of what worked for the old facade it needs to be noticable but cool lighting is always a must

as far as these additions go they all sound great

in my opinion animation doesn't need this whole ride a movie thing some people seem to think it needs. I like how it is they're really rounding out the offerings to a greater exploration into animation and creativity by offering many interactive elements rather then something you normaly just look at

you can obviously explore animated worlds with the socerers workshop and then you can even talk with the characters with Turtle talk with crush adding demension and an experience of being inside the animated world and interaction with it

then with animation acadamy they can also add the element of creating these worlds in an interactive fashion rather then just watching a movie that tells you about it (doing is much better then only seeing)

my only complaint is the meet and greet which does not belong in this type of setup the attraction doesn't need it meet and greets could go elsewere and the princess's just don't match DCA at all, they already have plenty of castle area and fantasyland in Disneyland they should stay there were they fit in, I'd like to see more animation oriented things put out then this

• Basking in birthday love

Boo on scheduled meet 'n' greets in that area. The fun of my character experience at the workshop came from the apparent spontaneity of the gathering. I think standing in line to see a character takes all the fun out of it. I've always enjoyed the random, "Holy crap, it's ______!" moments at Disneyland. I'd love to see that area become a place where the chances are good that you'll see a character or two, but the characters would be different all the time and it wouldn't be scheduled. It would also be nice to see some of the lesser-known characters make appearances there.

That said, I'd hate to see the lobby turned into a queuing area for some cheesy ride. Then you have to keep the line moving. I love going in there and just standing in the middle and taking it all in. One of the problematic appeals of this area is that it's cool, dark, and quiet after being crowded and hot outside. One of the biggest reasons I like it so much is because it's such an open area where there are hardly any people. So while I think more people should experience the attraction, I like it deserted.

I've never seen it at night. The past few times we've gone to DCA, we've gone back to Disneyland after sunset to catch the evening entertainment. Since we're going to make a point of seeing the Electrical Parade sometime soon, I'll be sure to swing by and check it out.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• CM for 4 years!

It is bad to encourage future Animators. It's just encouraging a dead dream. THey did it to me when I was a little girl, and I think that had I known there was a place for me to go, I would have pursued my art so much more than I do now.

When I was little, I wanted to be one of two things: an Imagineer or a Disney Animator.

My dream of Imagineering died when I found out you have to be an Engineer, and I"m not good at math or science.

And my dream of being an animator died when they killed that department for me

3-D holds no appeal to me. It's lifeless.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• something else...

um...so i really like the facade. but i do agree that it looks much better at night. it seems like DCA was created to look good only at night. i think that's the flaw...that's all that it is right there. they made it to look pretty at night, and let the day go by.

although a new facade of a royal hollywood theatre would fit the land much better then what it currently is.
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

• SuperDork

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Agree completely.... irregardless of what you think about the lobby (which IMHO is completely awesome), the facade really is weak. The marquee is "ok" but the front
    (at the street level) has very little that attracts people in. In fact, that entrance could
    easily have been mistaken as a CM entrace! There's very little signage or alluring at that level.
    Even the rest of the facade is pretty blase. The "swooping" front (I guess like a reel of film) is interesting, but nothing is really done with that. No movie posters, no glimpses of movies, etc.

Nothing really to tell the passer-by what's inside or interest them.

BTW. The "Learn to draw" is probably exactly what they have at the MGM-Disney
    Studios in Orlando. It's somewhat interesting and kids like it (and they actually hire real artists for that job; mine was a former Studio animator). But on the other hand, I already know how to draw most of the characters, so it wasn't anything new (but I did pickup some pointers on Goofy.:-)
    My son was so excited when I told him about the idea of a "animation/drawing class" So I think kids will like an area like that. It does inspire people to learn that you can learn to be a better artist. So many people think it is all natural talent. Which it seems to mostly be, but everyone can improve. I think they should make it very interactive throughout. Animatronics, etc.

• Disneyland Freak

The building looks fine as is... they NEED to cover up Hyperion's queue and add a lobby.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Hey, here's a thought....

They can have the class on how to draw Disney characters, then
    at the end, once you've learned it all and you're totally enthralled
    with the idea of being a animator.....

They can come on the screen and lay you all off, and they
    can randomize the reason for layoffs from the following list:

a) You're not computer animators. 2D animation is dead.
    b) The last picture didn't do well.
    c) They're outsourcing you to India (or Korea, or China, or Singapore, or...)
    d) They finished the new deal with Pixar, and don't need you anymore.

Wow, how fun is that!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I LOVE The animation building at DCA, one of the really must see things there, and a Great idea!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow
    Hey, here's a thought....

They can have the class on how to draw Disney characters, then
    at the end, once you've learned it all and you're totally enthralled
    with the idea of being a animator.....

They can come on the screen and lay you all off, and they
    can randomize the reason for layoffs from the following list:

a) You're not computer animators. 2D animation is dead.
    b) The last picture didn't do well.
    c) They're outsourcing you to India (or Korea, or China, or Singapore, or...)
    d) They finished the new deal with Pixar, and don't need you anymore.

Wow, how fun is that!

that's a bit negative don't you think?

besides alot of people like learning to draw and do art

and then there's people that will do it as a hobby with webcomics and flash movies

it doesn't always have to be a career just something fun to show people so they can learn stuff

I really think Animation will make a comeback anyways the market for 3D is beginning to stagnate and people are going to have to go back to developing real unique styles again

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    The building looks fine as is... they NEED to cover up Hyperion's queue and add a lobby.
    Agreed!

I HATE HATE HATE the Hyperion's outside. So ugly, uninviting, uninspired, and just bad. How can you have a beautiful theater on the outside and just plain ugly on the outside? I'm suprised people actually realize there are shows going on in THERE, because it looks more "fake" than the entrance to the Animation building. Ugly.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    that's a bit negative don't you think?

besides alot of people like learning to draw and do art
    They're just being realistic!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    It is bad to encourage future Animators. It's just encouraging a dead dream. THey did it to me when I was a little girl, and I think that had I known there was a place for me to go, I would have pursued my art so much more than I do now.

When I was little, I wanted to be one of two things: an Imagineer or a Disney Animator.

My dream of Imagineering died when I found out you have to be an Engineer, and I"m not good at math or science.

And my dream of being an animator died when they killed that department for me

3-D holds no appeal to me. It's lifeless.
    To be an imagineer, you don't always need to be an engineer. There's the blue sky team that just thinks up the ideas and draws them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast