Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• =)

How deep does Pirates go?

Howdy, y'all. I've got a question that I'm hoping a CM, ride evacuee, or blueprint owner could answer for me. So, Pirates of the Caribbean is located in two show buildings--one inside the park, disguised by the numerous New-Orleans-style facades and the trees of the Jungle Cruise, and one outside the berm, mostly hidden from the guests. I know that these aboveground buildings actually continue underground, and what I'm wondering is how deep they go. For example, I know that the exterior walls of the Haunted Mansion show building rise about 33 feet above ground level, but they also extend an additional 10 feet underground.

So...how deep is this particular bit of classic Disney treasure buried? It could be in terms of percentage (e.g. half of it is aboveground and half of it is below grade) or in terms of actual measurements (e.g. the bottom floor of the building is 15 feet below ground level backstage). I need this information in order to make my 3D model accurate.

Thanks in advance!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: How deep does Pirates go?

I'd be able to quantify it for you best if you know what elevation you want to work from.

Would you like it to be from the height of the DRR(which is elevated on top of the berm, and runs over the burning city ruins), or would you like it from the elevation that you leave the dock at (say the height of the water in the bayou)?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Animatronic

During my last Pirate evac, I noticed the water way sits about 3' above the floor. After evac near the auctioneer, I went up to about the level of the bridge to an exit door at exterior ground level. 10' seems about right from the bottom of the exit door to the floor of the building. Possibly 1/3 of the building was below ground level.

Next time I'll have to carry my sonic tape measure.

Okay, I got the info you need, but you'll have to do some math to figure the actual vertical drop.

Both drops down into the POTC basement are at a 21 degree angle.

The first drop is 52 feet long, and the 2nd drop is 37 feet long.

The uplift is at 16 degree angle.

The height of the the ceiling in the bayou is 40 feet and the water depth is 2 feet.

Total square footage of both buildins is 112,826 square feet.

The total track length is 1838 feet.

There are 46 boats, each boat has a 22 person capacity. The attractioon can eat 3600 PPH (Peeps Per Hour)

I'm not sure if you can simply plug these numbers into your CAD program, but it should help.

Here's a couple of images that may help. I also have a copy (of a copy) of POTC blueprints (overhead view), but these will probably get you what you need.

Last edited by Circarama; 09-15-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

If the above figures are correct (the drop ramps are at 21 from horizontal degrees and the "lengths" are 52 feet and 37 feet), then depending on how you define the drop lengths, you'll get the following vertical distance.

If the "length" is the actual length of the ramp (measured from the top along the ramp to the bottom), the first drop descended down about 18.6 feet and the second down 13.3 feet, which yields a total vertical drop of 31.9 feet (about 31'10 2/3").

That's a long way down.

If the "length" is defined as the horizontal length the ramp takes when looking down at the floor-plan, then the first drop almost 20 feet and the second drop is 14.2 feet, or 34.2 feet total (about 34' 21/2")

That's an even longer way down.

• Hooterville, USA

My very first post on another Disney site, was asking about POTC and it's layout.

Seeing that map brought back the memory of many years ago.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    ...depending on how you define the drop lengths, you'll get the following vertical distance.

If the "length" is the actual length of the ramp (measured from the top along the ramp to the bottom), the first drop descended down about 18.6 feet and the second down 13.3 feet, which yields a total vertical drop of 31.9 feet (about 31'10 2/3").

That's a long way down.
    I got these numbers from "The E-Ticket" magazine, issue #32, and from "Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers" which is a book about Arrow Development, the guys who built the POTC boats and flume. The measurements given are based on the total lengths of each of the 2 ramps measured from top of the ramp, along the ramp, down to the bottom. Basically, your first calc at 31.9 feet.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This is a good question for the red head.

• Circle of Ancients

I just quickly scanned through the Theme Park Adventure book about Pirates, and nothing about how "Deep" it goes.

• Minion

That lift hill at the end looks really tall. Does anyone know how tall that lift hill is?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    That lift hill at the end looks really tall. Does anyone know how tall that lift hill is?
    If somebody can do the math, please.

The vertical height is 31.9 feet. The uplift ramp is at a 16 degree angle. Based on these numbers, how long is the uplift ramp?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• ...lurks...

I was told that Pirates is three (3) full stories in total. This tidbit came from a previous cast member, who worked there well over a decade. This was agreed upon by another previous cast memeber (retired after 30 years, many of those worked in pirates.)

Hope this helps.

• Collision speed....FULL!

By using my trig., the lift ramp is 115.7 feet long. I'm not sure but if you add up the lengths of the 2 drops, they should equal the lift ramp number.

• Guilty!

The lift is actually a tiny bit taller than if you combine the two drops together because of the little drop when the boats disengage the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    By using my trig., the lift ramp is 115.7 feet long. I'm not sure but if you add up the lengths of the 2 drops, they should equal the lift ramp number.
    They won't add up because the lift is not as steep as the drops. Consequently, the lift has to be longer.
    26.70 feet longer, actually.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast