Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 9/14-15: DreamSale, Art Festival, HalloweenTime, Fort, Gallery, +MORE

A big update today! Let's get to it

DREAM SALE

We got to the Resort around 11am and there wasn't a line yet over at the Dream Sale (which was opening to the Public at 1:30pm) so we went and walked through Downtown Disney to see what was going on...

These signs could be seen around Downtown Disney...

The Grand Californian and World of Disney were getting some work done...

The windows at World of Disney have gotten some pumpkins and vines for HalloweenTime

So, back at the Dream Sale, once we were finally let in, there was a mad dash to see what was still available. Guests who bought event packages got into the Sale at 7am, and so a lot of the good stuff was already gone. And some of the much larger stuff was auctioned off during live and silent auctions.

Happiest Faces on Earth frames from the 50th Anniversary were laid out...
    From Toon Town:

Adventureland - I believe Simba and Nala shared frames like these:

Golden 50 icons were out, too, but all sold by the time the public got into the sale:

An Autopia car. I think this was in the old Autopia Winner's Circle shop (which is now Submarine Voyage queue)

If anybody was wondering where the old Midway Games from Paradise Pier are going, well, they're being auctioned off:

An old New Orleans Square Disneyland Railroad sign:

Snow White Musical signage was auctioned off, too:

The Indiana Jones Adventure crown from the 50th was still out by the time the public was let into the sale. The rest of the crowns were already packed up in a moving truck. Apparently one guy from Florida bought all 5 crown halves. The woman with him said that they were all easy to win because nobody seemed to want them... The only one that they had to put up a fight for was the Tomorrowland '67 crown - a phone bidder wanted it.

The same guy who purchased the crowns also got the Peoplemover cars:

There were lots of vinyl banners laid out to buy for cheap.

The sale items were marked with colored dot stickers, indicating prices. Here's the price list:

And at the registers, they had flyers reminding us to remember the date for the Snow White 70th Anniversary merch event

All in all, the Sale was kind of a let-down. All of the good stuff was already gone, so there wasn't much left worthwhile to pick through.

Hopefully they'll do something like this again, though, and next time there will be more good stuff

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND
    After the sale, we took the Monorail into the Park...

The tarp covering the Buzz Lightyear mural got swapped out last week with this one that featured the mural art. Looks like they're planning on working on it for a while...

There's more painting going on on the Main Street railings..

And the wait times mid-afternoon on Friday were absolutely perfect:

RE-BUILDING FORT WILDERNESS
    Over on Tom Sawyer Island, work continues on the new Fort Wilderness

Construction workers were looking over the top of one of the towers:

On the backside of the Fort, you can peek in through the cracks to see work on the inside..

But don't get your hopes up that they're building a new Fort playground inside - it just looks like storage sheds back there.

DISNEY GALLERY ELEVATOR
    FANTASMIC! TOWER REFURB

Back on the mainland, the elevator at the former Disney Gallery is starting to take shape..

You can see the steel framework going up...

Part of the building facade has been removed...

From up in Tarzan's Treehouse, you can see that work is going on in the Disney Gallery courtyard.

The Fantasmic! lighting tower over by the River Belle Terrace is halfway out of its hole and has refurb walls around it. I guess Fantasmic! will be dark for a while?

Something is plugged into a rock...

It looks like another Fantasmic! tower closer to the French Market has railings around it..

HALLOWEENTIME
    Some signage at the Parking Structure has been swapped out for HalloweenTime this year... A nice little touch

The Halloween vignettes from Tokyo are already out along the tram route - here's a nightshot of one of them...

Over at DCA, HalloweenTime stuff is already appearing the in park. On Friday, the new Candy Corn Acres was starting to go up.

By Saturday, the entire Candy Corn was up, along with Candy Corn Acres' windmill:

Pacific Wharf has some of its seasonal fall garlands up already

The Hollywood Tower Hotel is already celebrating Halloween...

The strobes and fog machines for the HalloweenTime mini-shows in front of the Tower of Terror can be seen from the queue:

The gift shop at the Tower of Terror is a sad story, though. Over half of the beautifully themed store is full of Pirates and Jack Skellington merchandise. There's only a limited selection of Tower merch. Why can't we have some in-theme merch? And if they can't fill the store with all Tower and Twilight Zone stuff, then at least give us DCA-specific merch - not stuff from across the esplanade!

You can only have so many pictures per post, apparently! The last part of the update is in the next post!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 9/14-15: DreamSale, Art Festival, HalloweenTime, Fort, Gallery, +MOR

But to be fair, there is some Tower of Terror merch to buy... I don't come back to this corner of the park often, so I'm not sure how exactly new this merch is, but it's new to me...

Outside back in the Backlot, the front of Off the Page is getting some work done..

DOWNTOWN DISNEY ART FESTIVAL

And finally, Saturday was the first day of the first-annual Downtown Disney Art Festival. The festival will end tomorrow... The Disney art available is mostly stuff that was available at the Disney Gallery, or at Disneyana or Off the Page. But what's cool about the Festival is that some of the actual artists are out and about, including Joel Harlow, who worked extensively doing makeup on the Pirates of the Caribbean films, and who also does sculpture and painting. He's a great artist and very approachable and friendly.

Joel Harlow:

Event merchandise:

...And lastly, the Guest Services and Locker buildings next to the Disneyland maingates finally finished their refurbs. The new paint looks excellent.

But it looks like some roof tiles were forgotten!

...Alright... that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 09-16-2007 at 01:29 AM.

| | |

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 9/14-15: DreamSale, Art Festival, HalloweenTime, Fort, Gallery, +MOR

Very nice report! I love all of the pictures that you took of the sale! And I think I spy that plain looking washbin that turned out to be the TSI 50!

And that guy from Florida who bought all of the crowns and PeopleMover cars...I would love to know what he plans on doing with all of 'em! I can only imagine the crowns being placed all atop his house with the cars being there as the manor's "welcome wagons" so to speak.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    And that guy from Florida who bought all of the crowns and PeopleMover cars...I would love to know what he plans on doing with all of 'em! I can only imagine the crowns being placed all atop his house with the cars being there as the manor's "welcome wagons" so to speak.
    Yeah I was wondering what the guy from Florida was going to do with all of that stuff. And then I thought - perhaps he's the guy who runs MouseSurplus, and we'll be seeing the crowns and Peoplemovers on eBay in the next couple of months!?

| | |

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

That would be a fabulously fabulous thing. Didn't the guy who found the tin 50 say that the woman who was associated with the crown say he could buy it from her for $1500? Methinks you may be right.

• Cast Member

Cool update.

But you shouldn't expect much anymore from the stores in terms of themed merchandise as evident at TOT. Ever since the Pressler era, there hasn't been much imagination in merch. offerings.

Somebody should wake TDA up and make them stop thinking like that.

But the REAL problem is vacationing guests and APs buying the junk in the first place and supporting such ideas as above.

If guests weren't so lazy and didn't demand everything they saw in the park on Main Street and bought things when they saw them, maybe you'd see a more diverse set of merchandise. Well, that and the guests need to support diverse items too by buying them when they do actually show up.

Lost are the days when the merchandise supported the area's theming.

OH, also, I'm not a big fan of the premium others paid to buy items when the general public gets to pick over the leftovers. I hate class systems like that.

Bye.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great update MG! I wonder who you have to be to get an invitation to the private event before it opens to the public. And I saw them setting up for the art festival, but didn't know what it was. Had we been able to park on Friday night when we came back, we could have done some more shopping.

And I also noticed the light tower out of commission for Fantasmic. I hope they get that fixed soon.

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great update. It seems like Disneyland is celebrating Halloween more diligently than they have in the past.
    <3 Chloe

• Collision speed....FULL!

I'm spinning in my head about that Railroad sign!

• Minion

amazing pictures (as always)

thanks for posting them

• Premium Youngling and

Thanks for the update MG!

I am so excited for Halloween!

• Pirate love

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

Something is plugged into a rock...

I would loved to have some of that fabric.

Its the 'remote' to the lift.

• Banned User

Great pics, as always.

• Hangin Around

The guy from Florida won only one of the four People Movers from the auction. I now own one of the Movers. The other two are owned by a lady from Fremont and a friend of mine. I also bought the Autopia and a few other things from your pictures.
    Last edited by Skywaygrl; 09-16-2007 at 10:45 AM.

• Minion

A couple of thoughts, MG.

I'm really liking the Halloween decorations that are "cropping up" around the resort. The new M&F character signs are a very nice touch, a bonus, something they didn't "have" to do. ToT decorations stay in theme very well, I am pleased to see them return. Candy Corn Acres at Sunshine Plaza looks like a great addition to the mix, I dig the autumn colors. I think it is more tastefully done than the Santa Beach Blast, even at this state of semi-completion.

It's kinda sad to see the state of some of the pieces at the Dream Sale (more like a flea market really). The 50 ears look disgusting! Time to sell them to someone who will polish them up real nice and hang over the fireplace!

Man, those are delicious wait times! Fastpass is virtually useless, except as confetti maybe - or toilet paper.

Peeking inside the fort... is depressing too. Will it be like Sleeping Beauty Castle in its current state - inaccessible, hollow, just a sightline, nothing more? Can't F! crews set up camp somewhere else?

About those ToT shirts...What the heck is that supposed to be? A bunch of televisons? I guess I see the connection to the attracton, but I'd stick to the Tower or the Elevator. That's what guests will remember. You weren't sent into the 5th dimension to see distorted Disney characters on an old TV set.

At least it's ToT, I guess? It could be worse...like if there were only Pirates and Jack Skellington merch in there.

As for the missing shingles...I think peoplemover1 pried them off in a fit of rage after she saw all the good stuff at the Dream Sale was already sold.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast