Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should Disneyland Build A New Skyway?

I loved the skyway, was sorry to see it go, but I don't think it should be brought back. There is really no good reason for it. It doesn't transport a whole lot of people at a time, it can't go through the Matterhorn anymore, it keeps people from walking by shops where they drop cash, and we ought to walk anyway.

I would like to see some sort of innovative mode of transportation between the parks... DCA, DL, DTD... maybe even the new Garden Walk area. But a skyway wouldn't work for that. Neither would the current Monorail. Perhaps a people mover system... I dunno.

But no to bringing back the skyway. Its a sweet, nostalgic thought, but I prefer a towerless park.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yes; I want the SkyWay Back

They were closed because they cost more than they were bringing in; ie. Pay one Price admission turned this attraction from a money generating one into a money losing one.

Just another victim of the POP.....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Yes. I loved the experience of flying over Disneyland - - the real way, not just virtually. We no longer have that sensation available.

And it would be a perfect link between Disneyland and DCA.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

No.
    Have fond memories of the original.
    And not so fond memories of riders pelting guests walking below with ketchup and other assorted items.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Only things you add must be compliant. And again.. not every attraction needs to be accessible.
    I am not fluent on the wording for the grandfather clause but I know there is a thread on here specifically addressing this. My understanding is that if you are making signifigant renovations that it then would no longer qualify for the grandfather and would then have to be complient but I could be wrong. Regardless if you are planning it to be a transportation method, or be popular attraction that would last it would still need to be easier to access then the stairway to heaven they currently have!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

WWWD answer:

Reportably Walt didn't like the Skyway. But only as an afterthought. The story goes that Walt overheard a family talking about the view of the freeway and that they wanted to leave early because they saw that it was getting busy. Or something along those lines.

The fact that you could see outside the Park, when being inside the Park was meant to mean that you'd been transported to other Worlds (suspension of disbelief killer) was probably what Walt decided he disliked about it.

WWMonotoneD answer:

If they were to bring back the Skyway in a new form, they'd need to address the design of the Tops of buildings. Or alter the route from the old route with roofs in mind. Tomorrowland's buildings are on the whole okay from the air. But Fantasyland's roofs are horrible

They'd also need to enclose them somewhat to stop the <insert offensive expletive adjective here> guests from bombing other guests with soda, saliva, and other projectiles.

A high capacity people mover would be a better inter-park transport option, a skyway just doesn't move enough bodies. I'd like to see a PM service the parking structure(s) as well as the Third Gate.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post
    I loved the skyway, was sorry to see it go, but I don't think it should be brought back.
    I agree. There's not point in bringing back the Skyway.

I'd rather see the money go into building a big new attraction. No more transportation rides please.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I loved the Skyway but it's time has really passed for within Disneyland.

I think it would be fantastic for a Garden Walk link or something like that into DCA's Paradise Pier area or something.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Inhospitable about happy

It'll never come back. How many attractions from the past has Disney resurrected, ever? The Subs. Electrical Parade. And.....?

I remember an interview with Bob Gurr somewhere in which he talked about the increasing impossibility of getting parts for aging attractions like the Skyway, which forces Disney to make their own parts. The implication was that the Skyway was just getting too ridiculously expensive to maintain.

A great ride for taking photos, though.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd love to see the skyway back but DCA needs the attention. It has no transportation. You get to see the monorail zoom right by, talk about a tease.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am not fluent on the wording for the grandfather clause but I know there is a thread on here specifically addressing this.
    A thread full of inaccuracies (mostly focused around the Subs). Only things you add must be compliant - there is no notion of 'grandfather' or qualifying it or not.. simply anything you add should be compliant except for the outlined exceptions. There are sort of trickle down effects on different areas when you make one area accessible.

One of the Government's FAQs covers this by stating

Q. What are the ADA requirements for altering facilities?

A. All alterations that could affect the usability of a facility must be made in an accessible manner to the maximum extent feasible. For example, if during renovations a doorway is being relocated, the new doorway must be wide enough to meet the new construction standard for accessibility. When alterations are made to a primary function area, such as the lobby of a bank or the dining area of a cafeteria, an accessible path of travel to the altered area must also be provided. The bathrooms, telephones, and drinking fountains serving that area must also be made accessible. These additional accessibility alterations are only required to the extent that the added accessibility costs do not exceed 20% of the cost of the original alteration. Elevators are generally not required in facilities under three stories or with fewer than 3,000 square feet per floor, unless the building is a shopping center or mall; the professional office of a health care provider; a terminal, depot, or other public transit station; or an airport passenger terminal.
    In general, there are tons of exceptions to protect businesses from being unduely burdened providing accessibility

Q. Are there any limitations on the ADA's barrier removal requirements for existing facilities?

A. Yes. Barrier removal need be accomplished only when it is "readily achievable" to do so.

Q. What does the term "readily achievable" mean?

A. It means "easily accomplishable and able to be carried out without much difficulty or expense."
    etc etc etc.

Basically the ADA 'cause' is a way over abused 'reason' in the online community for reasons Disney closed attractions, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Progressive Disneylander

I wouldn't mind it coming back, but I think there is probably a good reason why it doesn't now exist. I'm guessing that one of them is cost of operation. I mean, a place like Sea World charges for theirs.

Personally, if I could have it back, I'd rather it be over DCA only since it is desperate need of transportation.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Not the state of Texas, but a state fair? That is quite pathetic...
    I have to agree with you, the state of the State of Texas is quite pathetic

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Linking DL and DCA might generate some attendance for the struggling park.

But don't stop there. Have the Monorail and Peoplemover link the two as well.
    If they're going to link both parks they should use a trebuchet, not a bucket.

No need for all that messy cabling and not really enough time to be gazing at backstage or outside the park.

• Hiding in the shadows

I woudl love to see some sort of transportation like this in DCA. Although I loved the SW in DL, I dont know that I want it back there. If they can get the PM going in DL and then put a skyway in DCA that would be cool.

The only caveat would be they need something that has a good capacity and that you dont have to fold down strollers or transfer out of wheelchairs. It needs to be efficient as a mode of transportation, not just a ride.

A little piece of heaven

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast