Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Should Disneyland Build A New Skyway?

No. It was ugly and the night time spotlight ruined the beautiful multi-colored lighting effects in Fantasyland. Plus it's so much quieter without that thing banging around overhead. Also not having to duck or watch out for flying spitwads and dumped cokes from idiots above is also a blessing. Also too much revealed. Flat roofs and air conditioning units on top of the Dark Ride buildings just ruined the whole effect.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Hooterville, USA

When I last rode it, I was more interested in looking all around as opposed to looking at roof tops.

Tomorrowland, a world of motion.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Yes, but it wouldn't just be a common transport.. it could be an attraction of its own right (aka monorail, aka ferries in WDW, etc etc)
    I'd like to see it link DCA with the Parking Structure™. And an aerial tram ride might just fit in the Grizzly Peak Area...

• "I Break Things"

A thread full of inaccuracies (mostly focused around the Subs). Only things you add must be compliant - there is no notion of 'grandfather' or qualifying it or not.. simply anything you add should be compliant except for the outlined exceptions. There are sort of trickle down effects on different areas when you make one area accessible.

Basically the ADA 'cause' is a way over abused 'reason' in the online community for reasons Disney closed attractions, etc.
    thank you for the information. I read everything but you also neglected to address the second part of my statement. Skyway would be considered a means of transportation and therefore could possibly fall under the terminal category. Also the cost of the addition would in no way come close to the 20% financial limit set by the mandate.Plus as stated previously this will be an extremely public building and the lack of accessibility would severly limit it's popularity and overall capicity. just a thought.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I may be nutz...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    I'd absolutely love to see the Skyway come back, but would it be possible to create buckets that are wheelchair accessible and could carry the weight as well?

By the way, seeing backstage was never an issue on the Skyway. I wish you could see backstage! It was just a wonderful ariel view of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Sure, you'd see the roofs of the Castle and dark ride show buildings, but for the most part they were clean, and since there was nothing to see, your attention would be diverted to other areas.
    I don't know about creating buckets that would be able to carry the wheelchair or ECV, but I am sure they could definitely make it possible for the person to transfer to the bucket and then ride back to the station of origin to retrieve their chair. That would be feasible. And the person would get a round trip!! That may be the only way it could work. The weight would certainly be an issue. I don't know, is there wheelchair accessibility to the trams up the Mt at Palm Springs, is it? What about some of the other places where trams and skyways take visitors up to the top of a mountain. I have no experience with riding any of those. Personally, I would love to see the Skyway come back! It was just one of the lovliest attractions at DL! It was such a relaxing way to cross the Park and soar with the birds!

There is a great video at Youtube by a user named Parkhopper, it was taken from the skyway and he set great music from Aladdin to it. It is one on my favorite vids over there. Just search Skyway, it will probably be the first to come up on the list! I love to watch it over and over, because it reminds me of just how relaxing the skyway was and it is a great trip down nostalgia Lane for all you who loved the skyway.Highly Recommended watching at youtube! I would link it, but I don't know how to do that stuff, not tech oriented, just a type and click kinda computer user!

Geeze, I got a lot to learn about this newfangled progress;

"There's a great big beautiful Tomorrow....."

Susabelle
    Last edited by Susabelle; 09-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Susabelle View Post
    I don't know about creating buckets that would be able to carry the wheelchair or ECV, but I am sure they could definitely make it possible for the person to transfer to the bucket and then ride back to the station of origin to retrieve their chair. That would be feasible. And the person would get a round trip!! That may be the only way it could work. The weight would certainly be an issue. I don't know, is there wheelchair accessibility to the trams up the Mt at Palm Springs, is it? What about some of the other places where trams and skyways take visitors up to the top of a mountain. I have no experience with riding any of those. Personally, I would love to see the Skyway come back! It was just one of the lovliest attractions at DL! It was such a relaxing way to cross the Park and soar with the birds!

There is a great video at Youtube by a user named Parkhopper, it was taken from the skyway and he set great music from Aladdin to it. It is one on my favorite vids over there. Just search Skyway, it will probably be the first to come up on the list! I love to watch it over and over, because it reminds me of just how relaxing the skyway was and it is a great trip down nostalgia Lane for all you who loved the skyway.Highly Recommended watching at youtube! I would link it, but I don't know how to do that stuff, not tech oriented, just a type and click kinda computer user!

Geeze, I got a lot to learn about this newfangled progress;

"There's a great big beautiful Tomorrow....."

Susabelle
    This, is a great post.

• Minion

>>Reportably Walt didn't like the Skyway. But only as an afterthought. The story goes that Walt overheard a family talking about the view of the freeway and that they wanted to leave early because they saw that it was getting busy. Or something along those lines. The fact that you could see outside the Park, when being inside the Park was meant to mean that you'd been transported to other Worlds (suspension of disbelief killer) was probably what Walt decided he disliked about it.<<

That's odd. I've never heard that. As I understand it, Walt built the Matterhorn partly to hide the Skyway relay tower and ordered the "holes" built into the mountain (so the buckets could travel through) with his famous retort: "What? Haven't you ever heard of a Swiss mountain?"

I think if he didn't like the Skyway, he would have taken it down rather than build a mountain. Sure a lot of trouble to go to to keep it... a shame later management couldn't go to the same effort!

No doubt about one thing: The sensation of flying over the park was wonderful! One of my favorite Disneyland thrills. And now they don't offer anything like it, especially with Rocket Jets down from the sky as well.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    thank you for the information. I read everything but you also neglected to address the second part of my statement. Skyway would be considered a means of transportation and therefore could possibly fall under the terminal category.
    Unless you term it an attraction. Besides, its not a public transportation system anyways.

Also the cost of the addition would in no way come close to the 20% financial limit set by the mandate.
    The 20% is the cost of the alternation to make it accessible (aka accessibility costs), not the alterations themselves. The 20% is a marker to help justify 'reasonable'. If you had to start rebuilding structures, put in elevators, etc.. those numbers climb quickly.

Plus as stated previously this will be an extremely public building and the lack of accessibility would severly limit it's popularity and overall capicity. just a thought.
    It's an attraction remember I don't think it would cripple it. Remember, some of the most popular attractions in the park (the coasters) are not universally ridden by everyone either.

Personally I think it's a complete waste and would be a complete dud - but it like nearly all removed attractions have a sacred status after they are gone.

Want motion? Want kinetics? Add a NEW better attraction, not trying to resurrect the dead and buried and rightfully so.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hooterville, USA

Personally I think it's a complete waste and would be a complete dud - but it like nearly all removed attractions have a sacred status after they are gone.

Want motion? Want kinetics? Add a NEW better attraction, not trying to resurrect the dead and buried and rightfully so.
    That's what they said about the subs too!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'd like one from Fantasyland to Mickey and Friends

No. I was one of those punks hocking loogies at you from above...heh heh heh

Honestly if they could find a good way to enclose the vehicles without causing panic attacks- I think it could work again. Just another 'birds eye view' of one of Anaheim's most precious Treasures gone forever.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I'd like one from Fantasyland to Mickey and Friends
    With the low capacity factor the line for this one would be longer than your average drive home.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Personally, I think it would be a mistake. Disneyland doesn't have that much space and it would just be more money that could be used to update the rides and areas they have now.
    From what I can remember the sky way wasn't extremely popular anyhow...
    I see it being the same as the submarines - they took it down and redid it and it's just not the same anymore.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Personally, I think it would be a mistake. Disneyland doesn't have that much space...
    How much space would Disney need? It's 'air' space - and aside of the pillars that were along the route, the Skyway Stations are still in existence.

Personally, I don't think they should have ever done away with them.....however, I do think they should have modified the cabins so people couldn't throw things out of them, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast