• A Ghost at Disneyland

Sept 9-11 Trip Report & First MC Meet!

The excuse to visit Disneyland began as a request from a dear friend to be his best man at his upcoming wedding. And who can turn down a trip to Disneyland? So naturally I said "yes" to to the best man request and began to plot our post wedding escape to the DLR.

The day before the blessed event (the wedding and return to Disneyland) my lovely wife and I went wine tasting in the Temecula wine country. After visiting several wineries we began to feel the effects of the holy nectar and stopped in at one final winery, Palomar Mountain I think was the name. Things were getting a bit fuzzy by this point.

In defense of my wife, some of the tasting rooms at wineries we had previously visited had complementary crackers, cheese, olives, salami, etc out to mix with the various wines. So Morticia (as she is known here on MC) felt no shame walking up to a large plate of cheeses and olives in the middle of the tasting counter, grabbing a number of cheeses and olives and returning to our spot. Sadly, it turned out the plate of goodies had been purchased by the couple in the middle of the bar and looks of astonishment over her brazen theft left them speechless. My wife apologized repeatedly and I offered to pay for their goodie plate. Then came all the "stealing" jokes. ("You better eat that cracker before it gets stolen..." etc.) Though my poor wife was terribly embarassed, the people at the bar were all quite amused. It broke the ice and conversations blossomed around the bar.

Oh yes, the wine was quite good. Though I hadn't before considered pairing it with crow.

All too soon it was time for the wedding rehearsal. So we went back to our friend's house, drank lots of water and relaxed a bit. I even got in an hour long nap.

Feeling refreshed we did the rehearsal with the "to be married" couple getting teary eyed and choked up at all the right moments. Which was sweet to see. Afterward, we were off to the rehearsal dinner, which was delicious.

Here is a pic of the communion table with our "marks" where we'll stand the next day during the wedding:

The big day came and the wedding went off without a hitch. The reception was at the Mission Inn out in downtown Riverside. Definitly worth the trip out to the IE for lunch and the tour. There is a tunnel that runs from the lowest basement of the Inn to half way up Mt. Roubidoux. That end is welded shut with an iron plate and the Mission Inn side may have been sealed during the renovation. The tunnel itself is below the water table and flooded. I used to dive for the Riverside-San Bernardino Search and Recovery Team (recovering dead bodies from the water). We tried to get permission to dive the tunnel but no luck. <sigh>

Here is a pic of DisneyDarian with the Groom's two sons on the wedding day:

A photo of the bride and groom at the Mission Inn reception:

The second the reception was over we jammed over to the Disneyland Hotel, checked in and got set up in the room. (11th floor of the former Bonita tower.) I think it's the Wonder now.

We were a bit early for our meet with Lynn, Renaissance Woman down in the Wine Cellar under Hook's Pointe (which was closed for some reason.) So we rambled past the waterfalls to the Lost Bar. Everywhere you go in a Disney owned bar the drink menu is pretty much the same. I'd like to find the nitwit who did that and make them drive the 91 for a week solid (as a bound and gagged passenger) in an econobox car with no A/C and bad shocks.

I had a couple of beers and my wife had a martini. All too soon it was 5:30pm and time to meet Lynn at the Wine Cellar. Over a glass of Bogle Cabernet, Lynn gave us some wonderful pins. It was very gracious of Lynn to share from her pin collection. Thanks Lynn!!! You're the best!

I was worried about meeting my brother's new wife (no relation to the wedding mentioned above) and I tried not to act pre-occupied though they were getting later and later. We had a few snacks and were soon joined by some other friends as well. The wines were delicious, the service was great and the atmosphere there is a great place to decompress. After a few rounds it was time to move on in the DLR bar tour.

Off to the Uva Bar! Instead of meeting us at 5:30 as they had promised, my dear brother and new wife called to say they would meet us at 7:00pm. Meanwhile I've been doing tequila shooters and beer chasers at the Uva bar with Morticia, Lynn, Amy and Eric. A & E had water, Lynn and Morticia had wine. We ordered our food and had begun eating it when my brother arrived. Some will think it rude for us to begin without them, but since they were two HOURS late, it seemed the right thing to do at the time. Again, the food quality was good as was the service, though the bar was quite busy.

My bro and sis-in-law had a pizza which they mentioned was quite good. I can't recall what they had to drink. Either wine or a martini or both. Once they finished their meals we headed over to the Lounge at the Napa Rose for yet more wine and possibly desert. On the way over, my brother and his wife decided to head back to their room to rest. We said our good nights and set course for the Napa Rose.

We sat infront of the fire. A & E had desert and some wine. Lynn enjoyed a fresh libation of wine as well. Morticia and I got the plate of diligently selected cheeses and a couple glasses of wine.

All too soon it was time for us all to get a visit from the sand man or sand woman, depending upon your preference.

The next day... the excitement of a MC meet! I'll leave that for part two and hopefully I'll have the picture links working.
    Last edited by DisneyDarian; 09-17-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: To add photos

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Re: Sept 9-11 Trip Report & First MC Meet!

Part 2 of the Mice Chat Meet Experience

We got up early, at 10 AM, and had pastries and coffee for breakfast. We got ready quickly in anticipation of meeting our fellow MC'ers.

To all those kind individuals out there who encouraged me to rent an electric scooter, a thousand thanks and much sincere appreciation. It really made the difference.

Once in the park and seated on my chariot, please note the solid metal bumper. This makes the vehicle ideal for hitting the backs of ankles, crushing strollers and generally scooting around. I did accidently hit a few things but fortunately no people. At least they didn't scream loud enough to get my attention. Oh yes, it's the perfect platform for making cell phone calls. Gee, I've got one in my hand right now!

Off to the meet we went after a 10 minute wait for Finding Nemo. Fantastic ride! Once we finally arrived at the hub there were all manner of friendly, welcoming people.

Here is a photo of Tiki Room Liz and yours truly:

Then Morticia (aka Dawn) and I met the radiant Sadako. She was very gracious and has a marvelous wit.

Here she is with Morticia:

And here she is with DisneyDarian: (Really I'm not feeling sullen or anything, its just a bad pic and I look all gloomy. But I was really very happy. Sadako is going to be famous some day.)

We saw the illustrious DarkBeer but for some reason he ran away.... But we did get a picture of Norm and AKDisney with Morticia. Norm has so much energy he could be a motivational speaker!

During all the meeting and greeting, my cell phone would ring, and of course it was my brother and his new wife explaining why they were late. Instead of meeting us at the Hub at noon, they chose to run off to Splash Mountain, and though we were waiting for them to return so we could have lunch, they couldn't wait and at without us, while WE got to wait with empty bellies. Not that I'm anywhere near starvation. But its really the point.

If you have a chance to attend a Meet, by all means do so. Everyone was so nice and kind. Or maybe they were worried I'd run them over with my scooter. It is so refreshing to be around people who share the same enthusiasm for Disney that you do.

Finally they did come back and wanted to leave the park and hit DCA. Fortunately for us we had already done Finding Nemo, so we didn't miss out. But really, how rude! I consoled myself in the sure knowledge of the Cove Bar's liquids of comfort.

More later in Part 3.
    Last edited by DisneyDarian; 09-20-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Correct name error

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

So glad you made it to a meet! They are great fun aren't they!!! Thanks for recommending that any one who can, should go to one!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more of your adventures!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Awesome Darian! Glad I got to meet you and wifey. I hope there are more weddings out here so you can stop by one of the meets again really soon. Sorry my friend Leona Helmsley couldn't make it. She was going to wear a special vest just for you.

Chad

• Banned User

Leona Helmsley. HAH!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Psst... the guy in orange is Norm, not Chad
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Yay!!! I really do want to make it to a meet one of these days.. I will.. It's my goal in life!! .... Thanks for sharing so far!
    <3 Chloe

• living to haunt

I can't wait until part 3! I can't wait till the point when you throw the new SIL in the water for being so rude! Not a good start! Glad to see you made it to a meet, I am still working on it!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

• Circle of Ancients

It's great to place a name with a face. Nice Report Disney Darian.

• Senior Minion

What?!?! A visit to the cove bar and I wasn't called!?!?! Well ... there's always next time. It was great meeting you, and hopefully you'll come down to another meet soon and be able to hang out with everybody for the day.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Psst... the guy in orange is Norm, not Chad
    Shhh. I thought the diet was working. I lost 100 pounds in the snap of a camera.

• Minion

Oh Aashee, you are very svelyte. I on the other hand look like my grandmother.
    Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    Oh Aashee, you are very svelyte. I on the other hand look like my grandmother.
    You are way too kind Morticia. I assure, you look like no grandmother of mine. You and Darian are fantastic. I look forward to your next trip down to the thick air (smog optional).

Chad

• Minion

Thank you Aashee. We had a nice time & wished we could have spent more time w/you guys. We just got to the park & decieded to ride rather than eat w/you all & later regretted that decision. But, Lost Boy, you were there & I didn;'t say HELLO. My bad, I wanted to meet you & your sis.
    Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Awesome Darian! Glad I got to meet you and wifey. I hope there are more weddings out here so you can stop by one of the meets again really soon. Sorry my friend Leona Helmsley couldn't make it. She was going to wear a special vest just for you.

Chad
    Oh Chad you tease! Leona my babe! Sorry I got your name wrong on the photo. Where do you get all that energy?!?!?!? Can you lend me some? Maybe an O2 bottle.

Oh man, I met the incomparable Pirate Munkee who was just a hoot! You MiceChat folks are larger than life! I've got to process a number of new photos to photobucket tomorrow and post the 3rd part of my trip report.

Did I mention TikiRoomLiz was quite the lady? That girl knows what's goin' on! I've gotta make some excuse to visit socal in the future so my wife and I and can do another DLR visit. There were so many nice people my poor brain just couldn't keep track of everyone's names! AKDisney was quite the comedian and a very decent man.

Sadako, don't despair! Things are still in the works! I just have to work out the present difficulties with my brother. Let me know which Disney film you want to audition for and I'll see what I can do. Writers don't have all that much power when it comes to casting though. But sometimes even a little can help. For the rest of MC, Sadako is a very gifted voice talent as well as being a brilliant mind and wonderful person. Go to a meet and talk with her. You'll know what I mean. Then again, many of our MC friends are extraordinary people.

Time to work on the photos and part 3 of my trip report... "revenge of the Sith." Or as my dead friend George would say "Bone Ya!!!!" Hmmm is that inappropriate? Apologies if anyone takes offense. I'm just so blown away at the quality of the folks I met at the MC meet my judgement may have been effected.

=d=