Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• kevsgarden

Re: Men on people mover track today (7/12)

Yes, PM is coming back. My nephew is a lead in Tomorrowland and told me this last Sunday. Don't know of the time frame, however.

Quote Originally Posted by GymMouse
    Would anyone out there be interested in a 30 day moratorium on People Mover/Rocket Rods rumors threads?
    Or...
    Maybe send them all to a special People Mover/ Rocket Rods subforum!

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Tomorrowland Transit Authority is pretty nice - however, I have a question. The TTA goes about 10 - 14mph. This isn't much faster than the old Peoplemover but will the track handle the slightly quicker speeds of the TTA?

Well, they might have to re-inforce the supports or just completely rebuild the whole track because of all the damage from the Rocket Rods. Hopefully they can fix it. The TTA goes ALOT faster than the people mover ever did. People Mover went about six miles per hour, probably because of the tire technology it used. The LIMs at the TTA make it alot smoother and nicer allowing it to speed up and slow down along the track.
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

• My Children's Father

I seriously doubt the track would have to be completely replaced .... if it were that badly damaged, they would have removed the old track long ago. The forces imparted on the structure by an earthquake would greatly exceed anything imparted by a relatively slow ride vehicle. I'm sure some repairs will be needed, but nothing to require major reconstruction. I would guess that the damage to buildings (and their sometimes sensitive equipment) may have been more of a factor ....

And if the increased velocity (10-14 MPH instead of 6 MPH) makes that much of a difference, there's nothing stopping the imagineer's from "dialing back" the speed on the ride to the slower levels. This may be preferred when the ride is traversing through the ride/show buildings, so as to provide a better (i.e. longer) viewing of what is being displayed ...... if they want to speed things up on the outdoor areas, they could reinforce the track at those locations ...... and now would be a good time to do that, since the subs are being refurbished ...... my $0.02 ....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

http://mousetimes.com/gallery/displa...bum=345&pos=23

That photo shows the Peoplemover track dip coming out of Innoventions. Looks like a new rail to me.

• Banned User

The new ride should go about 10 - 14mph. This will solve the lull it had it some places. Near Autopia, for instance, the ride is kind of a long pointless track. If it went 14mph or so, it would be comfy, not a thrill ride, and get past the boring portion quicker.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nsxdrift_89
    I was walking towards Space Mountain today, to wait for an hour. As I was walking, I noticed three cast members, they might have been imagineers.
    But more importantly, were these people moving?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Atcually if you have eisner on board, which you did, the track wouldn't of been taken out, too much money to spend (which eisner would say!) And after 3 years of rocket rods, the track sustained some damage!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Here's a good question:

1. During the Pressler era did the RR close due to a serious structural safety issue?
    2. Is there any current structural safety issue that would prevent a slow moving ride vehicle from using the same track?

If the two answers are no, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to just get the old PM working with new slower ride vehicles. It seems like a quick fix to getting something to roll down the tracks.

• Rock Star Minion

Idea:
    In the day, it's People Mover.
    At night, it's Rockit Mover!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

6mph is fine.

Why would it HAVE TO be any faster.

Just joking around here ....... if we are a speed junky .. I don't think increasing even up 6 mph more is going to tickle our fancy. LOL

I think some of us around here seriously LOOOOOOVE speed. :-)

Disneyland needs another nice FIFTEEN minute attraction.

Anything faster than the original 6mph Peoplemover is only going to cut down the ride time.

I personally want to get up there ........ and RELAX .. and be able to THOROUGHLY enjoy my time up there .. for as LONG as POSSIBLE.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    Here's a good question:

1. During the Pressler era did the RR close due to a serious structural safety issue?
    2. Is there any current structural safety issue that would prevent a slow moving ride vehicle from using the same track?

If the two answers are no, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to just get the old PM working with new slower ride vehicles. It seems like a quick fix to getting something to roll down the tracks.
    1. It had structural problems but it also had breakdowns, low capacity, huge waits, etc...all contributing to its shutdown, which was on September 25, 2000.

2. The track is not totally destroyed, but probably needs a bit of patchwork to get a slow ride going.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Tomorrowland Transit Authority is pretty nice - however, I have a question. The TTA goes about 10 - 14mph. This isn't much faster than the old Peoplemover but will the track handle the slightly quicker speeds of the TTA?
    I just thought I would mention that the TTA is purely a flat track. Our peoplemover track is obviously not flat, so the speed of TTA is easier to accomplish in WDW.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Banned User

It was also said that LIMs only work on a totally flat track, that's why it works for WDW's TTA. However I think nowadays LIMs can be on a slope.

• Banned User

http://mousetimes.com/gallery/displa...bum=345&pos=23

That photo shows the Peoplemover track dip coming out of Innoventions. Looks like a new rail to me.
    No that is not new track, it is cleaned up. The rust was extremely ugly so they probably just cleaned it up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast