Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Ouimet Pronunciation

I was at the NFFC convention this week, and one of the presentations was at the DD/AMC theaters by Disney Studios chief Dick Cook who brought a bunch of previews and who also treated us to a full lenghth screening of the upcoming fall release The Greatest Game Ever Played (Which is an AWESOME movie, BTW and I encourage everyone to go see it when it comes out!!) It's a true story about a 20 year old caddy who won the US Open in 1913

Anyway, the interesting thing is (it's coming) the kid's real name (and in the movie) was Francis Ouimet, and Dick Cook made a reference to Matt Ouimet (who was in the audience) that Matt "likes to imagine" that they are related (everyone was wondering!). Apparently, Matt's son is a pretty good ameteur golfer so there is quite a bit of interest from his family in the movie.

So, as Dick Cook explained, it's pronounced "we-met" and you will hear it numerous times if you go see the flick! Which is EXCELLENT, BTW, did I mention that?

--Jonathan

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Ouimet Pronunciation

All I have to say is that if the cruise line is any indicator as to Matt's dedication, we're in for some real treats at DL while Matt is in charge.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Ouimet rides Space Mountain

Now if we could only get him and his family to cough up $56 each EVERYTIME they go through the gate, & pay for overpriced bad food he really would be one of "Us"...

But Overall, a very Nice Gesture, and it shows he is trying.
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 07-14-2005 at 10:07 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Who's your DaddyB?

When Mr. Ouimet was first promoted to Disneyland Resort from the cruise lines, the Orange County paper did a small bio and interview with him. They listed the pronounciation of his name as we-MET.

I also have a co-worker friend who is on the board for CHOC and is friendly enough with Matt Ouimet (who also serves there) that when this co-worker and I talk about Disney stuff, he prounounces the name the same way, "we-MET". I would assume he picked that up from Matt directly.

I grew up in New England and pronouncing the hard "T" is very French-Canadian, as opposed to the french way of making the "et" sound like a hard "a".
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Rock Star Minion

I wonder if he's related to the famous early-20th-century golfer Francis Ouimet?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• At the Gym or at DL

Now if we could just get a picture of Eisner waiting in line for a churro.

Matt Ouimet rocks!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GymMouse
    Now if we could just get a picture of Eisner waiting in line for a churro.
    I have a good friend (former CM) who has a picture of Eisner selling popcorn on Main St (I think it was the day of the DLR cast Christmas Party or something).

He's apparently a pretty swarthy guy--had 5 o'clock shadow around 10 am.

I think my friend (now retired) was holding on to the picture for potential blackmail purposes.

• Minion

That was Eisner's stand in. It was a bad clone job, so he ALWAYS looks like he has a 5 O'Clock shadow.

• At the Gym or at DL

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySavor
    That was Eisner's stand in. It was a bad clone job, so he ALWAYS looks like he has a 5 O'Clock shadow.
    Like Saddam Hussain, Eisner probably employs several stand in doubles to confuse potential assasins.

• insufferable know-it-all

Hahahah

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Alright, a couple things to clarify, and probably to reiterate a bit.
    I'm a Ouimet, and the correct pronunciation if you are refering to Matt Ouimet is "we-met." It is the family pronunciation and is distinctly of French-Canadian origin. The true French pronunciation is "we-mey."
    Also, this is a true representation of how Matt Ouimet really is. While it probably is true that is a very small expense to pay for admittance for Ouimet and his daughter, the reason he did it was not a publicity jesture, but a representation of who he is; a man who believes he is no better and deserves no better than any other person, regardless of their position. So please go shake his hand when you see him in the park, tell him what a great job he is doing turning Disneyland around, he loves hearing from people who care, and he could use the encouragement for how hard he is working.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ouimet's Rock!
    Alright, a couple things to clarify, and probably to reiterate a bit.
    I'm a Ouimet, and the correct pronunciation if you are refering to Matt Ouimet is "we-met." It is the family pronunciation and is distinctly of French-Canadian origin. The true French pronunciation is "we-mey."
    Also, this is a true representation of how Matt Ouimet really is. While it probably is true that is a very small expense to pay for admittance for Ouimet and his daughter, the reason he did it was not a publicity jesture, but a representation of who he is; a man who believes he is no better and deserves no better than any other person, regardless of their position. So please go shake his hand when you see him in the park, tell him what a great job he is doing turning Disneyland around, he loves hearing from people who care, and he could use the encouragement for how hard he is working.
    Thanks for the education on how to pronounce your name correctly and also welcome to Mice Chat!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234