Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back in Austin

Possible Fastpass Solution

I had been thinking of this before Kevin wrote his latest column describing possible FastPass changes at WDW. I could have posted this thought in the thread discussing Kevin's column, but I didn't want it to get buried and feel like it deserves its own spotlight.

For starters, I think that if executed properly, FP is a good idea which would be popular with the majority of visitors (if it isn't already). The idea of having a "virtual you" hold your place in line while you do something else is attractive. All other things being equal, who wouldn't want to be able to do that? The problem is that too many FPs are given out and the effect on the standby line is too great, given that the ride capacity is fixed.

Here's what I think should be done to "fix" FastPass:
    • Limit the number of FP's to 1 per day per visitor per park (maybe 2 per day for hotel guests). That means that you could have one FP for DL and one for DCA, max.
    • Make them to be genuine "front of line" passes and market them as such. On some rides this is difficult because the FP line currently merges with the standby line pretty far from the front of the attraction, but this would be key to making the system work well. The idea is that there are fewer of these new FPs, but they're better.
    • Make them easy to reserve - each FP station anywhere in either park works for any ride in either park. Also, you can go ahead and pick up both of them at once, no matter where you are.
    • Flexible return time - there would be an earliest open return time, but if you want to choose something later (to fit with your other plans), you can.
    • Disney hotel guests can reserve their FPs from their hotel rooms before they even enter the park.
    The guest is still getting a free perk this way, but the number of FastPass "line cutters" is greatly reduced and would have much less negative impact on the standby lines. Also, with this system you would be saved the leg work of going all over the parks picking up FP tickets, the idea being to enable the guests to enjoy their time more.

I'm not sure how well this system would work, but I'm guessing that every single person who entered DL on a crowded day could get an FP return time that would be reasonable, except of course for those weeks or months that a new attraction has just opened and everyone wants to go on the same ride.

• Minion

Re: Possible Fastpass Solution

That's an interesting idea. It certainly would make the system a whole lot more "equal." Although there's going to be some fistfights over which attraction you get a FP for.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    • Limit the number of FP's to 1 per day per visitor per park (maybe 2 per day for hotel guests). That means that you could have one FP for DL and one for DCA, max.
    • Make them to be genuine "front of line" passes and market them as such. On some rides this is difficult because the FP line currently merges with the standby line pretty far from the front of the attraction, but this would be key to making the system work well. The idea is that there are fewer of these new FPs, but they're better.
    • Make them easy to reserve - each FP station anywhere in either park works for any ride in either park. Also, you can go ahead and pick up both of them at once, no matter where you are.
    • Flexible return time - there would be an earliest open return time, but if you want to choose something later (to fit with your other plans), you can.
    • Disney hotel guests can reserve their FPs from their hotel rooms before they even enter the park.
    The guest is still getting a free perk this way, but the number of FastPass "line cutters" is greatly reduced and would have much less negative impact on the standby lines. Also, with this system you would be saved the leg work of going all over the parks picking up FP tickets, the idea being to enable the guests to enjoy their time more.

I'm not sure how well this system would work, but I'm guessing that every single person who entered DL on a crowded day could get an FP return time that would be reasonable, except of course for those weeks or months that a new attraction has just opened and everyone wants to go on the same ride.
    I do not mean to dishearten you. While this would work well for some attractions, it would make the more popular ones worse. Having a cap of 1 or 2 per day would concentrate large numbers of individuals on specific attractions and those attractions would have to deal with a possible excess. I would rather see a larger number like 4, or 5. The other problem is that with the current Fastpass system it is impossible to cancel once you decide to get one. People would ring in the first one they saw not realizing "that's it". I'm one who believes Fastpass should just be disbanded as a whole. If you want to ride wait for it, if not then just keep walking. Without Fastpass all lines would drop because they would not need a buffer since you would either be "in" line or "out" of line.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I had been thinking of this before Kevin wrote his latest column describing possible FastPass changes at WDW. I could have posted this thought in the thread discussing Kevin's column, but I didn't want it to get buried and feel like it deserves its own spotlight.

For starters, I think that if executed properly, FP is a good idea which would be popular with the majority of visitors (if it isn't already). The idea of having a "virtual you" hold your place in line while you do something else is attractive. All other things being equal, who wouldn't want to be able to do that? The problem is that too many FPs are given out and the effect on the standby line is too great, given that the ride capacity is fixed.

What would fix a good portion of the problem is to stop passin out the YOAMD fastpass (I'm guessin people bring them back day to day). These mess w/ the so many per hour numbers. Also, if the fast pass is out of it's time limit, DON'T ACCEPT THEM. You've worked the ride, you know if it went down during that particular hour or not. I think allowing 1 per every two hours is good.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• back in Austin

I don't know what the current average number of FPs per guest per day is, but my thought is that number should be cut to a third or a fourth of what it is now. In that case, all the current evils of FastPass (seeing people "cut in line" in front of you, slower SB lines) would be greatly reduced.

I think that statistically if everyone had one shot at which attraction they wanted a front-of-line pass for, people would tend to choose different things. It would be an interesting experiment.

techskip, regarding the possible mistakes a user might make, I'm thinking a user should somehow be able to change their mind. Ideally, no hard FPs should be issued at all, but that the visitor would present their ticket or passport at the front of the line. I realize, though, that that would be technically difficult.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Also, if the fast pass is out of it's time limit, DON'T ACCEPT THEM.
    I agree. That's part of the reform that's needed. It just makes matters worse that the already overburdened system is then asked to allow for people that come back after their time has expired.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

What if they did the opposite for some of the most popular rides and ONLY allowed FastPass (no standby)?

I was thinking about this for the Nemo subs. You would get a FastPass and must return during your window. It would help keep the line more reasonable. They could over-subscribe the system by whatever % of people usually don't make it back in time for their FastPass window.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    What if they did the opposite for some of the most popular rides and ONLY allowed FastPass (no standby)?

I was thinking about this for the Nemo subs. You would get a FastPass and must return during your window. It would help keep the line more reasonable. They could over-subscribe the system by whatever % of people usually don't make it back in time for their FastPass window.
    That's an interesting idea. Wow, that thought never would have occurred to me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    What would fix a good portion of the problem is to stop passin out the YOAMD fastpass (I'm guessin people bring them back day to day). These mess w/ the so many per hour numbers.
    Dream FPs are only good on the day they're given out. The FP for each attraction is a tab that must be broken off in front of the castmember then handed to them. So, while they might be changing the numbers a little bit, I don't think that it's a huge issue.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Pathetically Obsessed

I have an idea!!!! Take FastPass out of the park entirely!! Yippee!! No more have and have nots. Everyone back on an equal footing.

Just a thought.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• no flash photography...

Fast pass is wonderful. I don't get the hate for it. Granted we don't use it very often, but when we do we love it. I totally agree with the time thing. If the pass is expired they should not allow someone to use it.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

You are forgetting that the vast majority of visitors use FP and enjoy using FP without worrying about anything else. Because, let's face it, FP is a godsend on those summer days.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Pathetically Obsessed

Well, I agree with Kevin Yee on this one. FastPass by itself is not evil, it's the general public's knowledge of its use that is the problem. Disney does a pretty decent job of advertising FP, but those that really know the system and it's flaws can exploit it in a way that is not fair to the average guest. It creates an uneven playing field, which I don't think was the intent when Walt built the place.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Guest Complain enough as it is when they realize they can only have one Fast Pass at a time... I can only imagine the complaints if it was only one per day.

• Progressive Disneylander

Fast Pass is just fine as it is (and it is wonderful). Other than a few tweaks, I wouldn't make any significant changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast