Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: DreamFortune: An examination of "Where Dreams Come True" and Year of a Million Dr

I swear many years back they had a promotion whereas everyone got something upon entering the gate. I remember me and my brother getting little trading pins. I think mine was a panda swinging on a palm tree (it was a two-piece pin connected by a little chain). Then when we entered the park we scanned our tickets through a machine to see if we won anything else (which we didn't, but hey! we got pins!) This was back in the day of paper tickets, but I can't remember the year. Late 80s/earlier 90s I think.

Anyways.... I though this was what YoAMD was going to be like. That everyone would at least get a little something. Not the all-the-hype-and-none-of-the-experience thing.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: DreamFortune: An examination of "Where Dreams Come True" and Year of a Million Dr

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Not the all-the-hype-and-none-of-the-experience thing.
    That's a good way of putting it. And I think that for the people who DO understand what the YOAMD is, this is why they dislike the promotion.

Nobody wants to be told they're going to be getting magical moments and winning prizes - and then doesn't get anything. That's just natural disappointment.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Leaping Into The Abyss

When I went to DL in October 2005 and saw the fireworks on the castle and heard Julie Andrews say "Dreams really do come true" I totally agreed with her. When I saw Fantasmic it really was a dream come true because as a child I had a recurring dream of sitting on a beach watching a Disney show in the sky where they projected the characters into the sky, very much like the projections on the water of Fantasmic.
    So the Year of a Million Dreams just made me go wild with glee even though I didn't anticipate any prizes. When I learned of the prizes I started sending in a postcard every every day. I've received four lanyards with pins and one set of ears in the mail. We received a set of ears in DTD by the DL Hotel. I did get a little miffed at survey takers I thought were Dream Squad people and the fact that I didn't see any prizes being given out at the park.
    Other than that I'm good with the whole thing. They could have called it the Year of a Million Dreams and done nothing else and I would have thought it was perfect.
    Spyed the Black Pearl from Cabrillo Beach

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    To be honest, and I am really not trying to start a fight, but I am hearing a LOT of sour grapes like arguments.
    That's a valid opinion. However, I think Shadowcat and MasterGracey said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Anyways.... I though this was what YoAMD was going to be like. That everyone would at least get a little something. Not the all-the-hype-and-none-of-the-experience thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    That's a good way of putting it. And I think that for the people who DO understand what the YOAMD is, this is why they dislike the promotion.

Nobody wants to be told they're going to be getting magical moments and winning prizes - and then doesn't get anything. That's just natural disappointment.
    We're disecting whether or not the promotion works. It leaves me feeling disappointed. Without the hype, I wouldn't be disappointed.

So, if we don't pass judgement on the ones with "sour grapes", what we're doing is analyzing the fact that, due to the promotion, guests are leaving with sour grapes.

Now, does that mean the promotion is effective? Absolutely not.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12