• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Red Face Disneyland and Hearing Aids...

Hey all!

Are there any Micechatters here who wear a Hearing Aid (HA), or go to the DLR with anyone who does? I am asking because I am a new Hearing Aid user, and I'm in need of some advice on wearing it at DLR parks such as:

1. Do you keep the HA on while on rides like the Matterhorn or Screamin', or do you put in a case?

2. Since there is so much sound - music, people, etc - do you find that your battery will need to be replaced sooner?

I know for sure I'll be placing my HA in it's carry case while on rides with water/moisture, and will also try to shield it from direct sunlight... Any tips and/or advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated, as I need to protect my $2500 + HA...

I have searched the forum and have found no threads regarding HAs at the DLR! Could this be the first HA thread? I've seen them for wheelchair users and other disabilities, but not HAs...

Anyway, if it helps, I wear a BTE model (Behind The Ear). Thank you to all who answer...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland and Hearing Aids...

Check with Guest Relations / Disneyland City Hall.

• Rock Star Minion

I suggest not wearing it on Matterhorn or Screamin'.
    Screamin' is loud enough that the dead (not a typo) can hear.
    Matterhorn's special resident is pretty loud, too. I'm not sure what your hearing ability is, though. If you can read lips, you can figure out what "Harry" is saying.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I have worn a BTE hearing aid for 20 years and have had it for 6 trips to the park. The only time I have ever taken it off was on GRR (way to much water!!!). On Splash, if you time it right, you can actually pose for the picture and then cover your ear with your hand. I have never had mine get wet doing that. Just make sure you cover it as soon as you see the flash. If you are concerned about it, just take it off. OR, you could ask your HA provider about covers. There are rubber covers they give to kids that can protect it. I have some but have only used them once. Before I left for my last trip to DL, I asked my provider if it would be OK to wear all day and she said absolutely. I didn't do it, but it was nice to have the option as I am a sweater.

As long as you have a tight fitting ear mold, you should be fine. I say this because several years ago I was at Six Flags in St. Louis riding the Ninja (a roller coaster) and almost had my aid go flying. It turns out my mold was really old and lose fitting.

Battery life was never an issue for me, but I did have a battery die and forgot to bring a spare with me. I was in the park, spares were in an off-site hotel. I wound up going half the day, half deaf. Thankfully my wife is great when things like that happen. If you ask your HA provider, there are keychains you can get that will fit one or two spare batteries. I wish I would have had one then.

Hope this helps. I know getting used to what you can and can't do with one on can be a little difficult. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Excellent place to make my first post. I am hearing aid user (both ears) and sometimes wear them when I go and sometimes not. I do find that I hear a lot of the music and sounds around the park that I generally would miss otherwise, when I do wear them. Such an important part of the experience. I don't tend to wear them on thrill rides/water rides as I get worried they might get damaged.

Of course it's also nice to drown out crowded areas as I don't care to hear a million conversations I wouldn't hear otherwise. (One of the benefits.) : )

I've had the since I was a kid and it's never really bothered me. Just plop them in and go listen to the lady giving piano lessons above the locker entrance on Main St. Never heard it til I put my HA's in.

Anyways, hope it works out for you and have agreat time!

Brian

• GO DBACKS!!

I wouldn't worry about so called noisy rides as most hearing aids have a digital compression system that will not amplify over a certain level. If you think the noise will bother you, such as loud music, etc. than you can just turn it off while on the ride. Most reasonably good hearing aids have some kind of push button on them to access multiple programs for varied listening situations that helps filter out some of the background noise.

The covers used to prevent moisture damage are called Super Seals made of a rubbery material, and there is another type that is called a Sweat Band that is a cotton texture. You may want to take a Dry Aid kit with you as well if you are going during a warm time of the year or just in case they accidentally get wet. They range from small desiccant jars to larger units that you have to plug in.

I hope you enjoy hearing the sounds of Disneyland like never before!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Thank you all so much for the great advice! All of your replies have really helped me, and will no doubt help someone else if they should do a search on this forum. I really can't wait to go to the DLR with my HA, it's going to be something else to really hear DL for the first time!

CaliforniaAdventurer:
    Thanks for the information regarding Guest Relation/DL City Hall. I did look online at the Guest Relations "Guide Book for Guests with Disabilities". Unfortunately, it can't give the first hand advice on wearing a HA at DLR. It does however have great info on Assistive Listening Systems, Reflective Captioning, Handheld Captioning, Video Captioning, and Written Aids, which I thankfully do not have a need for at this time.

Sediment:
    I agree, Screamin' is way to loud - and I say that as someone with a Hearing Disability! My hearing loss is such that I basically have no mid-range, meaning, normal conversation levels is where I can't hear too well, and it gets worse if there is ambient noise, like a restaurant. My best hearing levels are really high & low frequencies. My right ear is the worse of the two, and that's one I wear a HA in. I don't think I'll have a problem hearing what "Harry" is saying...

Gil T. Pleasure:
    First things first: Welcome to Micechat! I agree with you on not wearing the HA on thrill rides. Since I don't wear an earmold like Chiefyouth does, there is nothing to hold my HA in, and I really don't want it flying off! I too agree with the "benefit" of being able to drown out certain sounds...

Chiefyouth:
    I think I will definitely take the HA off for GRR, and the end of Splash, I think I can handle the waterfalls on POTC without having to remove the HA. I will make sure to bring extra batteries - don't want to be caught half hearing... I too am bit of a 'sweater', and find myself after a lot of walking having to remove my HA to wipe it down... Yes getting used to wearing a HA is a bit strange - like every time you get in the shower touching your ear to make sure you've removed it!

Earkid:
    I will look into a portable dry aid kit, and the Super Seals. I'm not too concerned with attractions being too loud, I was more concerned with all the work the HA will be doing since the DLR is not a quite place...That issue is resolved by bringing extra batteries with me to the parks. Oh, and you know I will enjoy hearing the sounds of Disneyland like never before!

I've had my HA since 2/07, and can't believe I lived so long without it... The first time I put on the HA and actually heard my own voice, footsteps, and could pinpoint where a sound was coming from was so awesome - but nothing compared to listening to music. A song I've listened to for over 35 years made me cry when I started to hear the parts of the song I hadn't heard in 25 years... I really can't wait to hear Disneyland for first time! I'll give a trip report after my November trip!

Again, thanks everyone for you replies!

• Rock Star Minion

You're welcome.
    I await an unofficial guide to wearing HA's at DL from you in the near future!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I love this place!

Wow, great thread. I'm bringing my folks next month and now have some suggestions for my Dad. Thanks a bunch!

I thought this would be a good place to post one of my first responses on the board but Earkid beat me to it. You got some great advice here. Your hearing aids are meant to help you in real life situations so, wear them at Disney! Just try to be reasonable about moisture. Evidently I am not the only audiologist on the board!

Also, don't worry about battery drain. Your aids probably do more in noisy situations to keep you comfortable and maximize speech clarity and that will require more battery drain but it will be minimal. You probably won't notice the difference in battery life at all.

Eargal:
    Welcome to Micechat! Also, thank you for your great advice. Like I said before, I can't believe I lived so long without a HA. I'm one of the compliant HA users, my HA is never in a drawer... cost too much to be put away, plus I love to hear!

I just want to say, this is really a great thread that will help those of us with the "Invisible" disability of Hearing Loss. I love that HA users are not limiting themselves in the activities they choose to partake in! My OP was because I thought I would have to limit myself as a HA wearer. Now I Know that all it takes is careful planning!

Sediment:
    I think this thread is the "unofficial guide to wearing HA's at DL"!

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by Angelica Gracey; 09-20-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: corrected name...