Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 97
  1. #76

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Anyone care to add the NY Times piece on the 1.2 Billion going in, or any commentary on DCA's profile / reputation in the Times since this piece.

    That would be interesting.

  2. #77

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,266

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    Yeah. 7th in the nation in attendance really stinks. A complete failure.
    Must be something else missing in this equation, such as the average amount of money that guests pay to enter.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  3. #78

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Must be something else missing in this equation, such as the average amount of money that guests pay to enter.
    Or the fact that Disney now requests that CM and Silver Pass holders to enter DCA first, to get them to count for attendance, even if they leave and head straight to Disneyland.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  4. #79

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Must be something else missing in this equation, such as the average amount of money that guests pay to enter.
    Before I get to the problem creating that data, let me for the sake of argument only, temporarily assume that entrance to DCA is being given away free.

    The problem with that argument is it ignores opportunity costs. The imaginary free pass being given away to attend DCA also could have been used to just attend Disneyland instead. On one day one park tickets that someone got into DCA with, they could have gone over to DL instead. For every second someone spends in DCA with a hopper or an AP, that same hopper or AP could have been used to spend that second in DL instead. So by logical conclusion then, if DCA were "struggling to satisfy guests" it wouldn't be 7th Why? Because if it were, those guests wouldn't have chosen to be there. So. There is at least something over at DCA that is at least satisfying enough people to get em over there and make it the 7th most attended park. If there were not, they wouldn't be there because for no extra money, they could have been over at DL instead.

    Now on to the problem with the imaginary free ticket.
    Unfortunately good data on that does not exist other than in the minds of those that go through the exercise in assumption and mental masturbation necessary to come up with it. As such it has zero provable basis in reality. There really is no way to isolate on a five day ticket, just how much of that 5 day ticket was purchased to attend DCA and just how many days would be purchased if it were not there at all. Nor is there such a way on an AP. Yet the anti-DCA crowd always assumes it's zero. Of course as proven above even if that were true, the argument is still lost for them because of the simple concept of opportunity costs.

    Does DCA have it's problems Yes. But some of the posts around here remind me of posts I see when USC is up 21-10 at the half at Nebraska. BOOTY SUCKS... WE WANT SANCHEZ!!!!! More hyperbole and whining than anything else.
    Last edited by WSVR; 09-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #80

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,266

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Many of the guests that post here that are satisfied with DCA usually point to one wonderful asset of DCA's: "It's not as crowded." "It's nice to get away from the DL crowd for a few hours." "The wide walkways without a lot of people."

    A real success: As an overflow park. As an AP Lounge. As someplace to go for an average of 28% of my visits.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  6. #81

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    That article makes DCA sound like the crap it is. Great find.

  7. #82

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    The reason they are putting more money into the park is they want it to be a draw such that DLR will become more of a destination resort for longer trips. It is already better than two of the 3 non-clone parks in Florida as it sits. The problem is that over there, they have 3 non-clone parks plus two water parks, plus a whole bunch of other things to do the job. DLR only has DCA. And as it sits, it isn't sufficient to do that job. That's why the 1.2 billion. If it were only due to DCA struggling to please guests, it wouldn't be 7th in the nation in attendance. The only ones it is failing to please are the self-appointed armchair arbiters of all things Disney (SAAADs)



    Yeah. 7th in the nation in attendance really stinks. A complete failure.
    That's funny, it can't be 7th in the nation because its only mere steps away from Disneyland, can it? Like literally, just steps away. Also, it can't be 7th in the nation because of a massively popular annual 2fer springtime promotion Disney does to essentially give away "DCA for FREE!" can it? Or how about, like Darkbeer said, that Disney boosts attendance by requiring CM passes to enter DCA FIRST? Or how about that Annual Passholders get DCA for essentially nothing? And what about the insnae bargain multi-day ParkHopper tickets are because they basically tack DCA on for free?

    No, DCA is definately a success. You're absolutely right.

    Bob Iger said "in the spirit of candor, we have been challenged" just for fun. Disney is just freely spending $1.2 billion dollars on DCA for fun. Attendance numbers for DCA have never reached their planned potential just because Disney made those numbers too high just for fun.

    Please. That argument that DCA is in the Top 10 most visited parks in the country is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. It falls flat every time, and I'd wish people would just stop using it. Disney isn't even using lame excuses like that anymore... it's time for the DCA defenders to suck it up. If you like the park that's fine - more power to you - but the park is a failure.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  8. #83

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    The reason they are putting more money into the park is they want it to be a draw such that DLR will become more of a destination resort for longer trips.
    Also, I think this is a really cute reason for the $1.2 budget. Wasn't the point of building DCA ALWAYS to encourage people to stay longer? That was the whole point of adding DCA, Downtown Disney, and building the Grand Californian. It was all to make Disneyland a RESORT.

    If they're only now trying to make Disneyland a Resort by giving DCA a $1.2 billion budget, then the name "Disneyland Resort" has been a lie for the past 6+ years.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Also, I think this is a really cute reason for the $1.2 budget. Wasn't the point of building DCA ALWAYS to encourage people to stay longer? That was the whole point of adding DCA, Downtown Disney, and building the Grand Californian. It was all to make Disneyland a RESORT.

    If they're only now trying to make Disneyland a Resort by giving DCA a $1.2 billion budget, then the name "Disneyland Resort" has been a lie for the past 6+ years.
    Jump to conclusions much?

    That it hasn't quite worked out to what they wanted doesn't make it not a resort and doesn't mean they are lying. Nor does that mean DCA isn't satisfying guests. Did you change the subject because you are conceding that point?

  10. #85

    • Lowering Expectations
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If they're only now trying to make Disneyland a Resort by giving DCA a $1.2 billion budget, then the name "Disneyland Resort" has been a lie for the past 6+ years.
    True statement, but the name "Disneyland Resort" really has been a lie for the last 6+ years.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:


  11. #86

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    Jump to conclusions much?

    That it hasn't quite worked out to what they wanted doesn't make it not a resort and doesn't mean they are lying. Nor does that mean DCA isn't satisfying guests. Did you change the subject because you are conceding that point?
    What subject did I change? I think my points were just replying to your weak ones.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  12. #87

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Heck, there is also the Knott's Southern California Resort..

    It has 2 parks (One is America's First Theme Park and the other one is a Water Park)

    A Hotel and Convention Center

    A shopping mall area with multiple restaurants.

    Group facilities including a large picnic area

    Historical Buildings such as Independence Hall and the Church of the Reflections, which handles many weddings a year.

    So I would say that the Disneyland Resort is as much of a resort as Knott's is. They both have the right to call their collections of tourist related items a resort.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  13. #88

    • Lowering Expectations
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Regardless of the fact that just a few miles away Knott's calls themselves a Resort, I can't help but compare (as I'm sure others do as well) Walt Disney World Resort three thousand miles away. WDW truly keeps guests on Disney property for five days, seven days, maybe more, what with four theme parks, three water parks, and you know the rest - whereas here at the Disneyland "Resort," most guests (not AP's) probably stay for two days, maybe three. There are discounts on subsequent park admission past three days to encourage Disney hotel guests to stay longer, but if they've already "seen it all" at DCA within six hours, is there much adhesive behind the "Resort" title, as it stands now?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:


  14. #89

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    That's funny, it can't be 7th in the nation because its only mere steps away from Disneyland, can it?
    That's right. People are going to DCA when Disneyland is mere steps away because DCA doesn't satisfy them. Yup Yip Yep. Sure buddy. Whatever you say.

    Like literally, just steps away. Also, it can't be 7th in the nation because of a massively popular annual 2fer springtime promotion Disney does to essentially give away "DCA for FREE!" can it
    That's odd. Mine have nothing on them that says I have to use any portion at DCA. Did you get those imaginary free tickets that say no going to Disneyland allowed on them again? Yup. These imaginary free tickets that say you must go to DCA on them rear their ugly heads again.

    ? Or how about, like Darkbeer said, that Disney boosts attendance by requiring CM passes to enter DCA FIRST?
    Yeah. That's 99% of DLR's attendance. CM passes. Yup.

    Or how about that Annual Passholders get DCA for essentially nothing? And what about the insnae bargain multi-day ParkHopper tickets are because they basically tack DCA on for free?
    Wow. you have such rotten luck. First those imaginary free tickets, and now, you got that imaginary AP that says you must go to DCA on it. What are the odds? Why I bet they are a Kazillion to one.

    What percentage of Annual passes require one to go to DCA?
    THAT'S RIGHT ZERO!!!!!
    What percentage of multi-day park hoppers require one to go to DCA?
    THAT'S RIGHT ZERO!!!!

    Just where is this imaginary free ticket that forces people to go to DCA against their will? No where in reality. It's nothing but a product of mental masturbation. The simple FACT of the matter as opposed to that mental masturbation is that you have absolutely no clue as to on average, what percentage of the value of that ticket, DCA contributed.
    The simple FACT of the matter that you conveniently ignore is that if people didn't want to go over to DCA and weren't satisfied in their decision, they'd simply use those free days or their AP for more Disneyland time and not go to DCA.

    No, DCA is definately a success. You're absolutely right.
    No No No. 7th in the nation is a complete failure. And it's only 7th because people are forced over there by imaginary free tickets good only for DCA.

    Bob Iger said "in the spirit of candor, we have been challenged" just for fun. Disney is just freely spending $1.2 billion dollars on DCA for fun. Attendance numbers for DCA have never reached their planned potential just because Disney made those numbers too high just for fun.
    Failing to reach a goal does not mean a park is a total failure. Nor does it mean the park is struggling to satisfy customers. They expected DCA to be able to something it can't. And there is an argument to be made that it can't even with the 1.2 billion. But you equating that to mean DCA isn't satisfying anyone does not follow.

    Please. That argument that DCA is in the Top 10 most visited parks in the country is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. It falls flat every time, and I'd wish people would just stop using it.
    Of course you would. Because you have nothing but imaginary free tickets that force people to go to DCA to counter it. And I've proven that one complete and utter B.S.
    Disney isn't even using lame excuses like that anymore... it's time for the DCA defenders to suck it up. If you like the park that's fine - more power to you - but the park is a failure.
    All that shows is that it is 7th and they want something higher than 7th. . It does not follow as you put it, that DCA is struggling to satisfy customers or that it is a complete failure.
    Last edited by WSVR; 09-20-2007 at 05:48 PM.

  15. #90

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Amazing NY Times article from February 11th, 2001 and Paradise Pier

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    What subject did I change? I think my points were just replying to your weak ones.
    More of your logic.

    Ummm. My points Strong... Your points weak......

    LMAO!!!! OK Pal. Whatever you say. I'll sell your imaginary AP good only for DCA on ebay for you seeing as how you don't want it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Paradise Pier Hotel & Paradise Cove
    By Alpoe001 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM
  2. Feb. 22, 2008: Disneyland Paris, February 2001
    By Werner Weiss in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 07:37 AM
  3. A Tribute in Pictures - Paradise Pier (2001 - 2007)
    By sir clinksalot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •