Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Why not bring back the Dream Machine

What Disney should have done was "Two YEars of Celebrations," emcompassing the 35th Anniversry of WDW (October 2006), the 15th Anniversary of DLRP (April 2007), the 25th Anniversary of EPCOT (October 2007), Animal Kingdom's "Dec-Cen-Ten-Ial" (March 2008) and the 25th Anniversary of TDLR (April 2008) world wide, and also have prizes handed out at all Disney Parks worldwide (soda, popcorn, hot dog, cake, special ears, lanyard with pins, plushes, et al.) and have a contest world wide with the grand prize a Around The World Trip to all resorts all expenses paid with one winner from each of the resorts and a cruise on a Disney Cruise Line ship for a family of four in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 09-19-2007 at 08:18 AM.

• Minion

We loved the "Dream Machine". My son won a Mickey wrist watch. He was so excited.
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

One of the reasons the Dream Machine would not be back, at least the way it was, is that the Imagineers hated it!

I once read a long story about it: how the old guys hated how when you looked down Main street, you saw this big machine sitting in front of the castle. Then they had that circus event too, where the motorcycle cage of death was in the same hub.

So, they (Sklar and crew) decided to put in something that no one would dare suggest covering up: the Partners statue. By putting in the statue, they made it virtually impossible to spoil the sightline down the street to the castle.

I think the story was on Jim Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post
    One of the reasons the Dream Machine would not be back, at least the way it was, is that the Imagineers hated it!

I once read a long story about it: how the old guys hated how when you looked down Main street, you saw this big machine sitting in front of the castle. Then they had that circus event too, where the motorcycle cage of death was in the same hub.

So, they (Sklar and crew) decided to put in something that no one would dare suggest covering up: the Partners statue. By putting in the statue, they made it virtually impossible to spoil the sightline down the street to the castle.

More precisely, there were people inside the company who hated the placement of The Dream Machine.

The idea of making prize distribution into a show wasn't as controversial.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post

Oh I agree...I don't think the placement of the machine was very good. It did block your view down Main Street to the castle. (And that is a view I absolutely LOVE!) If somehow they could have something like it...somewhere else...but I have no idea where that somewhere else should be. Maybe the idea of a previous poster...the fastpass machines????????
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Maybe somewhere less conspicuous... like Thunder Ranch.... It makes you walk thru the park to find it.

• Banned User

Put it in Innoventions?

Well, Innoventions, while not popular with all, still is being used. They would need to place it in an unused space. Perhaps it could be part of it. It could get people into it! TR could be adapted without much trouble.

• Banned User

Well, I was thinking of using the randomized prizes at the main gate when you swipe your ticket...that sounds like a good idea, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Monorail Man brings up a good point about frequent visitors. However the frequent visitors would have the same chance if they choose by showing up early and stalking the Dream Squad. For me, we always arrive at park opening and are usually in the car heading home around two or three in the afternoon (darn kids and their naps)...we have yet to win anything. In fact, I have only seen the dream squad once and that was the day PL on TSI opened.
    Section 2, Paragraph a of the Disney Dreams Giveaway 2007 Official Rules states that the "Sponsor anticipates that potential winners will be selected at the Disney Properties between opening and 5 pm local time; however, certain prizes (for example, Mickey Mouse Penthouse and Cinderella's Castle Suite) are likely to be awarded early in the day to help ensure that a winner will be able to claim the prize and Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to select winners at the Disney Properties during any operating hours."

I think the idea behind YOAMD was that you didn't just enter the park, have your chance to win and then its over and you enjoy the day. The current promotion (if it was done better) could truly create a sense of excitement, that around any corner, throughout the whole day you could be surprised with winning something. Unfortunately, that is not the case, as it seems the majority of prizes are distributed before noon.
    I agree. I think it would've been better if they had smaller prizes that could be distributed later in the day; perhaps they could've increased the number of Shopping Spree at the World of Disney Store prizes, (which could potentially be used later in the day) and decreased the number of Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure Park DREAM FASTPASS Badge (which are better earlier in the day), Pin and Lanyard set, and Dream Mouse Ears prizes.

Perhaps a dream machine type kiosk, maybe three or four throughout the park, when each visitor can once per day swipe their ticket (or AP) and randomly be eligible to win a prize. This would create more randomness because you as the guest get to choose the time and location of where you swipe your ticket.
    Definitely, rather than having people abusing the system by stalking the Dream Squad Cast Members as they head towards the randomly chosen locations to distribute their prizes.

For APs they could set a rule that you are only eligible to swipe if you have not won in the last 30 days or something to eliminate abuse.
    I thought this was actually part of the rules, as with the Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Play It! prizes, but it's not. Oh well.

Anyway, right now the "randomness" doesn't seem fair for all.
    Agreed, as stated before.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Screw the Dream Machine, we need the Mean Machine at Disneyland!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    "...You're a loser, as usual. Have a magical day."
    LOL! Why are you quoting my stepfather from the last time I went to Disneyland with him?

Seriously, though, good post .

I say leave the sweepstakes promotions to McDonald's and their Monopoly contests.

Then again, now that the YoMD philagree is gone, it is a promotion that allows us to see the park "as it usually is," rather than covered up by decorations.

• Boat shoes all day long

Does anyone have a picture of this set up? I remember it, what a different place Disneyland was in those days! I would love to go back and visit the park during different eras. That would be something else to check that out!

Then I would pitch the idea of an Indiana Jones themed ride called Temple of the Forbidden Sock.
    Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Put it in Innoventions?
    Why not put it where the Rocket Rods Loading Area used to be. Bring back the moving walkways. And if they really want to make my dream come true, put back the Peoplemover in its 1980s form.

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by thmar View Post
    We loved the "Dream Machine". My son won a Mickey wrist watch. He was so excited.
    When I was a kid, I won one too, I bet it was the same kind. I was so excited too. I wore it all the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast