Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why not bring back the Dream Machine

Remember in 1990, for the Disneyland's 35th Birthday, they had the Giant Dream Machine? Remember when you walked in the park, you received a ticket that either said "No Win," "Dream Macine" or the name of a smaller prize like a Mickey Plush.

If you were lucky enough to get to the Dream Machine, you pulled a lever and you could win a car, or airline tickets and other great prizes.

Has Disney lost all imagination with this Year of a Million Dreams promotion? What is Magical about being approached at random by a cast member and given a Dream Fastpass....

Heres an idea. Why not bring something like this concept back for the YOMD. I think it would get guests more excited. As an AP, I'd be at the park much more if I knew I had a chance to get to the Dream Machine.

Re: Why not bring back the Dream Machine

To me, that would make much more sense and be better understood by Guests than what they're currently doing, especially given that some of the "randomness" is lost when Dream Squad Cast Members are being stalked. It would also allow Cast Members to be filtered out, essentially not allowing Cast Members to win anything, since a scanned Cast ID wouldn't trigger a sweepstakes entry. I've seen Cast Members with Dream Ears and Dream FastPasses who aren't supposed to get them per sweepstakes rules (and law, I believe).

• Can Only Wish For More!

My loophole for winning something, if ever, is that my boyfriend would win, and since we're not legally anything, I can be his "guest" for the prizes.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• potterday.org

I think the Dream Machine and the Year of a Million Dreams promotions are two branches of the same thorny bramble - welcome to Disneyland, here's your scratcher lotto ticket. Chances are you didn't win.

A promotion should be something everyone can participate in. The outside world is the lottery. The Park is a sacred space to a lot of people. It should never be "welcome to the Year of a Million Dreams, none of which will come true for you. Don't fret, some other family will win something at some point. But not you. You're a loser, as usual. Have a magical day."
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Drunk On Disney!

Smile Re: Why not bring back the Dream Machine

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBoySC99 View Post
    Remember in 1990, for the Disneyland's 35th Birthday, they had the Giant Dream Machine? Remember when you walked in the park, you received a ticket that either said "No Win," "Dream Macine" or the name of a smaller prize like a Mickey Plush.

If you were lucky enough to get to the Dream Machine, you pulled a lever and you could win a car, or airline tickets and other great prizes.

Has Disney lost all imagination with this Year of a Million Dreams promotion? What is Magical about being approached at random by a cast member and given a Dream Fastpass....

Heres an idea. Why not bring something like this concept back for the YOMD. I think it would get guests more excited. As an AP, I'd be at the park much more if I knew I had a chance to get to the Dream Machine.
    This is a most excelent idea.

I can understand the concern about any sweepstakes at Disneyland, but the justification behind The Dream Machine was that it was a part of the 35th anniversary.

For the 30th anniversary, every guest to Disneyland received his or her own "gift", usually a complimentary box of popcorn or a soft drink.

A hybrid of those two giveaways that combines the best of each and that is actually in celebration of something real would not seem crass or out of place to me.

On the contrary, giving surprise gifts to all the guests would actually give substance to the celebration of some of these meaningless anniversaries.

The Year of a Million Dreams fails principally because of the cynicism the "event" engenders.

It's a celebration of absolutely nothing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The Year of a Million Dreams fails principally because of the cynicism the "event" engenders.

It's a celebration of absolutely nothing.
    That or a celebration for the sake of celebration.
    I really liked the idea more of The Dream Machine than The Year of a Million Dreams - why so? Because The Dream Machine was for a celebration for Disneyland's birthday, not some multi-park "promotion" - it was exclusive to the "mother park". I still feel that Year of a Million dreams however, was not and is not a total let down. There are a small handful of guests who still get to relish and reap the rewards, with ears, pins, fastpasses, some get hotel comps, and a few get to experience a prize like no other, getting to spend the night in one of the parks - that to me is still pretty cool, no matter how you twist it.

lol I just posted about this on another thread.
    I remember everyone in my family getting a pin when we passed through the gate (I think everyone did) which was a neat thing cause everyone got at least a little something.
    So even if you don't win at the machine, you still went home with a little treat.

• "I Break Things"

Sadly I think the 35th had probably been recorded as one of Disneyland's greatest celebrations. Every time they try to come up with something everyone immediately points to the 35th and says "top that!" and they haven't been able to. Sure they've opened rides since but that promotional IMO has never been topped.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

The late '80's were great for Disney, in general. The whole company seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

• Feeling LOVED

Question Re: Why not bring back the Dream Machine

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBoySC99 View Post

I loved the Dream Machine. I think this is an excellent idea. To bad Disney didn't put that to use again
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

It's interesting that this is brought up now. Several of us we're talking about this at the park on Friday. I was commenting how I won a few things in Florida during the YOMD, but never anything on the CA side.

Then it finally hit me on why they planned the contest this way; to discourage frequents from winning. Think about it, based on the official rules and random spots that are selected, very few of us are ever in these spots, at the times they are generally out giving prizes. The reason why many of us won in FL, was that we we're out in the morning, doing attractions. This generally isn't the case when we are at DL (Noon, Lunch, A couple of Rides, Leave).

The dream machine creates a situation where everyone can win, and while that's more fair, you give out more prizes to the frequent APers, who don't need them, because they are sold on the park already.
    -Monorail Man

• Hiding in the shadows

Monorail Man brings up a good point about frequent visitors. However the frequent visitors would have the same chance if they choose by showing up early and stalking the Dream Squad. For me, we always arrive at park opening and are usually in the car heading home around two or three in the afternoon (darn kids and their naps)...we have yet to win anything. In fact, I have only seen the dream squad once and that was the day PL on TSI opened.

I think the idea behind YOAMD was that you didn't just enter the park, have your chance to win and then its over and you enjoy the day. The current promotion (if it was done better) could truly create a sense of excitement, that around any corner, throughout the whole day you could be surprised with winning something. Unfortunately, that is not the case, as it seems the majority of prizes are distributed before noon.

Perhaps a dream machine type kiosk, maybe three or four throughout the park, when each visitor can once per day swipe their ticket (or AP) and randomly be eligible to win a prize. This would create more randomness because you as the guest get to choose the time and location of where you swipe your ticket.

For APs they could set a rule that you are only eligible to swipe if you have not won in the last 30 days or something to eliminate abuse.

Anyway, right now the "randomness" doesn't seem fair for all.

A little piece of heaven

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Perhaps a dream machine type kiosk, maybe three or four throughout the park, when each visitor can once per day swipe their ticket (or AP) and randomly be eligible to win a prize. This would create more randomness because you as the guest get to choose the time and location of where you swipe your ticket.
    Sounds like they could do this with the existing Fastpass machines. Every once in awhile a person could get a "bonus" ticket attached to their Fastpass, redeemable for a chance to "Spin the Wheel" (or some such) for fabulous prizes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast