Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Lets Change "DCA"

With talks about re-theming DCA but keeping some of it's main attractions, can us mice chatters think of a possible new name for that park across the way??

Please, try to keep it serious

• White and Nerdy

Re: Lets Change "DCA"

Pixarland.

• The one, the only...

How about "Disney's Big Mistake."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I have to agree with that, GoofBall.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

In one discourse on the subject someone mentioned keeping the current name and logo and eventually phasing out the word California...Disney's Adventure.

I think this is the most palatable option because it avoids the notion that Disney has little to no faith in itself- a complete rename is a sign of weakness and could translate poorly to stock holders. Minimizing any negative feedback by dropping the word California allows them to head in any direction they want, focusing on Adventure style rides.

• Minion

Keep it Disney's California Adventure. Just slowly retheme it to different time periods in California history, so that it transports you to another time and place. Hollywood in the 30's. Piers during whatever time the seaside amusement parks were popular. San Francisco right before the 1906 earthquake. I think that doing this would bring a lot more magic into the park.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

^ Al's update regarding the shift in the Hollywood Backlot- lead me to believe they are starting there with that idea of elementing the cross section of desgins currently present to replace it with one theme as related to a Golden Age in Hollywood.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    Keep it Disney's California Adventure. Just slowly retheme it to different time periods in California history, so that it transports you to another time and place. Hollywood in the 30's. Piers during whatever time the seaside amusement parks were popular. San Francisco right before the 1906 earthquake. I think that doing this would bring a lot more magic into the park.
    Yes, I love this idea, and i'm glad to hear that the Hollywood Backlot will be having a slight change of theme.

Once, Al Lutz came up with the thought of changing it to a Disney's America Park. He had some great ideas, and I think it could work out very well for DCA.

Simply, make Grizzly peak into Eagle Peak shaped like an eagle. Hollywood pictures backlot could stay because it could celebrate America's film industry, but it could still get the face lift Al Lutz has rumored.

A Civil War village could be added, a New York themed area could be added to the Timon Parking lot, a fifties themed area, an American Adventure attraction like at Epcot. The possibilities are endless!
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Keep the name as is (and this is, indeed, what will happen...Disney isn't about to change a theme park's name). People just need to accept that it is a park filled with adventures, and the park is in California, with a loose connection to the history of the state (which is as it should be...how many times have people asked why they would go to DCA to see sites they can drive to). I don't have a problem with that.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Baybeh!

Slowly evolve the park into Disney's American Adventure

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Keep the name as is (and this is, indeed, what will happen...Disney isn't about to change a theme park's name).
    It is very hard to recover from a bad first impression. Psychologists say that our first impression we make on people colors all further interaction with that person.

I am afraid that Disney made a bad impression with Southern California people. They took the customer for granted and built half a park and charged full admission.

The park needs a clean, fresh start. A new name and new theme will allow a new "first impression" for locals.

KEY POINT: Walt made Disneyland with the revolutionary concept of removing people from the normal world and putting then in a fantasy world. He transported them to a different time and place. DCA vioalted that basic principle of Disneyland. Until they wise up and realize that Walt was on to something, that second park will be "less than" Disneyland or any other Disney park.

WALT KNEW BEST: When Walt made Snow White, he knew he had to make the very best film he could because no one was sure an audience would sit through a feature cartoon. He said, "They certainly are not going to sit through a poorly done feature cartoon." He knew that first impressions make a difference!
    Last edited by JiminyCricketFan; 07-13-2005 at 09:33 AM.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hey, Disney has aleready changed one park's name... the Old EuroDisneyland is now Disneyland Paris...

And they are about to change the name of the Disney-MGM Studios....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

We need something to commemorate Michael Eisner's departure, so how about....

"Eisner's California Mis-Adventure"

The number of letters would make it that you'd hardly have to resize
    the signage.

• Minion

New theme, new name, new landscaping, old infrastructure (some ideas from an old DCA post I did years ago called The Wonderful World of Disney Animation - and some new ones...):

Walt Disney/Pixar Animation Studios

(What could be more commercial?)

Replace entranceway, mural, plaza with a recreation of Walt Disney's Hyperion Studios building and lush campus grounds, with the waving neon Mickey Mouse/Silly Symphonies billboard on top to greet visitors from the hub.

Change the Plaza icon to a huge sculpture of Mickey as the Sorcerer's Apprentice on the mountain, pointing to the stars, with a wave fountain below.

Main Plaza features a new Walt Disney Archives Museum to unify the theme.

New Lincoln-like animatronic show of Walt discussing his career, with audio taken from the CBC and Pete Martin interviews.

Change Hollywood Studios Backlot to a recreation of Disney's Burbank Studio Lot, with the Art Deco signage/entranceway and renamed streets Mickey Avenue and Dopey Drive, etc. Entrance to Animation attraction/water tower made to look like the old Animation building on the lot. Finish the Hyperion Theatre Lobby/staircase/bathrooms.

Farm area becomes Marcelene, with a recreation of Walt's barn and an attraction that features the surreal adventures of black and white "rubber hose" Mickey/Minnie/Horace/Clarabelle/Pete.

Fantasmic moves to the wharf area.

Winery changes to Fess Parker wines. Winery show becomes a Davy Crockett show, featuring the wit and wisdom of Crockett/Parker (via AA or film).

Animatronic Country Bears return - added to Grizzly River Run.

San Francisco Area made more lush and inviting. Remove Route 66 stuff to add a Herbie-themed simulator attraction (a wild ride through SF).

Golden Dreams becomes Mickey's Philharmagic Theatre.

All of Paradise Pier is rethemed to Pleasure Island from Pinocchio, with the addition of the iconic cueball and stick poolhall, "Roughhouse Man", clown building, etc. They sell signature donkey ears and tails to wear.

Add major Disney Villains thrill ride or spook house (use lot area across the street for show building?).

Add Little Mermaid dry-for-wet darkride in Wharf area, now beautifully rethemed to Mermaid/Eric's Kingdom on the bay.

Add proposed new Pixar E-Tickets for The Incredibles and Cars in parking lot, hooking area up with Bug Land.

New film for Soarin' turns attraction into Aladdin's Flying Carpet simulator, through the Cave of Wonder. Retheme desert area appropriately as Sultan's Kingdom.

Recreate the Burbank's old Pueblo de Los Angeles Zorro backlot area/marketplace. Add Zorro's Black Whip coaster and surreal Three Caballeros dark ride.

Make sure there are visual weenies at the end of every street and more attractive areas to relax, sit, eat.

Add a direct monorail, peoplemover or skyway connection to Disneyland for the ease of park hopper ticket buyers.

Voila! - silk purse from sow's ear.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-13-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast