• =)

9-19 Indy closure

Hey, guys. So yesterday (September 19th), Indy and the Jungle Cruise were mysteriously closed from midmorning till 5:30 or so. CMs stood around in front of both entrances, telling gusts that there was an electrical problem affecting both rides and that the technicians were hard at work fixing things. I rode the Main Street/NOS part of the Disneyland Railroad four or five times during the closure, and there were many workers standing around the Indy show building every time.

I knew I had to leave in the early evening, so I suspected I wouldn't get a chance to ride either of the attractions. Luckily, I managed to ride both after they reopened. But I've got to say, that was the most underwhelming ride on Indy I've ever experienced.

After an abnormally long FastPass line that featured an unfortunate lack of the interactive bamboo pole, I boarded the EMV and immediately noticed that the mirrors at the end of the loading area weren't there, leaving the plain doors to the maintenance area beyond plainly visible. Then the Chamber of Destiny was very dark; I could barely see the doors. Problems with the music syncing began in the Hall of Promise and continued throughout the ride. Aside from this, things went fairly well through the middle part of the ride. In fact, I was actually impressed with the vehicle motion, which was somewhat rougher than it often is.

But just when things seemed okay, the worst occurred. No, it didn't go 101--that would have been fun! Just when I was ready to forget the initial sloppiness of the ride, we entered the rolling ball scene. Indy himself was well-lit, but he seemed oddly close. Then I realized I could see the boulder faintly--not lit, not moving, not rotating, not remotely dangerous. Then I realized that the entire room was not moving as it was supposed to. Then the EMV dove down into the darkness, narrowly escaping a big black nothingness. It was extremely disappointing. Then, just to firmly reinforce my sadness, the music cut out briefly during the finale and the EMV stopped suspiciously on the tracks before the loading station.

I really appreciate the hard work of the technicians who know that the happiness of thousands depends on the speed of their work and the superhuman patience of the CMs who must tell those thousands again and again that they'll just have to wait. But...wouldn't it be better to leave the ride closed a little longer than to open it prematurely in such a wretched state? I mean, if that had been my first ride on the attraction, the rolling boulder scene would have completely befuddled me. We went into a dark room with Indy hanging on a rope above. He told us to back up, but we just sat in one place with him above us. Eventually, we randomly dove down into the dark, only to turn the corner and see a big boulder crashed behind us. Very confusing and unfun if you don't know how it's supposed to be, and a HUGE disappointment if you do you.

Anyway, does anyone know exactly what happened? The most I could get from the CMs was that there'd been a power outage or other electrical trouble that affected both the Jungle Cruise and Indy. I'm just curious as to why the problem was so difficult to fix (I'm not trying to say it wasn't!) and why the ride wasn't in top condition afterwards.

Thanks!

- Datameister, whose love for the Indiana Jones Adventure remains untarnished.

• Fighter Pilot

Re: 9-19 Indy closure

since it happened yesterday, I say don't worry about it. More intresting news is our power at work went out for 4 minutes. I'm sure you want to hear about that.

• Rock Star Minion

Consider yourself lucky.
    I heard that a few of the skulls along the walls had borken, and they needed to find replacements, fast.
    So, they purposely downgrade the ride, so that when guests complain, they take them to a private backstage area, and off with their heads!!

Moral: never complain.

If you're looking for facts, don't look at me. Sounds like a major short in a generator or something. Don't know why they'd continue to service guests with it in that condition. Except, you know, to replace some of the skulls.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Awaken the spirits

What was the weather like? Up here in Sacramento, it was pouring down rain and we had a nice lightning show. If the weather was the same down there, that could be the problem. I know up here it was the first storm we've had for a while.

• =)

since it happened yesterday, I say don't worry about it. More intresting news is our power at work went out for 4 minutes. I'm sure you want to hear about that.
    Actually, no, I would like to know more about the incident at Disneyland, because I happen to be interested in theme parks. (Crazy, I know! ) I like finding out more about the technical side of how they work--or don't work, as it were.

I heard that a few of the skulls along the walls had borken, and they needed to find replacements, fast.
    So, they purposely downgrade the ride, so that when guests complain, they take them to a private backstage area, and off with their heads!!
    Heh. Well, at least those guests get to spend their last few minutes backstage...

What was the weather like? Up here in Sacramento, it was pouring down rain and we had a nice lightning show. If the weather was the same down there, that could be the problem. I know up here it was the first storm we've had for a while.
    Aside from a little midmorning sprinkling, there was no rain in the park and definitely no lightning, I'm sad to say.

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

I'm pulling for some rain tomorrow.
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• I found my Prince!

Rain might help things run better! Everyone do the rain dance!!!!

• Awaken the spirits

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePrincess View Post
    Rain might help things run better! Everyone do the rain dance!!!!
    It rained in the Tiki Room.