Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Ward Kimball has a Caboose!

Excuse me as I geek out for a moment but last night I was in the park with Gwyren and my roommate and we saw the Ward Kimball and it was pulling a caboose after its regular cars! As if it wasn't enough to see the Ward in person, but a caboose too! Just like a regular train!! So, of course I had to ride it, and they were nice enough to wait a few trains 'til it came around again and not laugh at me as I totally had a few geeky moments once we were on. (Right guys? Guys? ... guys? )

Anyway, it's an enclosed car and it was nice and plush inside with a cushioned bench along each side. There was a little room in back that almost looked like a (miniature) sleeper car. I didn't really take any inside pics but I took a few of the outside which I'll post when my roommate gets them to me

Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Re: Ward Kimball has a Caboose!

In the words of my kids: LUCKY!!!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Who's your DaddyB?

Isn't that the caboose that's normally on the excursion train?
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Again! Again! Again!

We saw that yesterday too. We were more amazed that they finally put it back. I don't think it's been attached to a train in a while. I do believe that it's called the "LillyBelle".
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I don't think it is the Lilly Belle- you would know the lilly belle if you saw it- It was a car used exculsively by the Disney family, and later, Club 33 members- very plush and decadent and too nice for the general public to use. I asked Steve DeGataeno about the Lilly Belle and he said that it was not scheduled for refurbishment anytime soon, so I would be very surprised if that is what it was. If it was the Lilly Belle, put me on the next plane out there- that is indeed a rare treat!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Well, i'd never seen a caboose on the trains, though I haven't been going to DL for very long.

It definately wasn't the Lily Belle, at least it wasn't all plush and decadent... minus the plastic cushions
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• My Children's Father

I've ridden in a caboose at DL before ..... maybe 10 years ago or so ..... it was nice .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Who's your DaddyB?

Yes, there is a caboose on one of the trains. I think it's the excursion train, I wish I wasn't at work and could look that up. It has a bench on either side of the caboose and some windows. Towards the back is a door that's always locked with a set of stairs that if you were able to go back there, you could climb about three steps so that you might fit your head in and look out a very small observation tower.

I'll be at the park tonite and if the Ward Kimball is running, I'll be taking lots of pictures, so I'll be sure to take a pic of the entire train and it's caboose, whatever it is.

The Lilly Belle is unusable at this time. It has suffered wood rot to the extent that it wouldn't hold anyone's weight to stand inside it. I heard that when Matt Ouimet sent down a request to come see it, the roundhouse crew spent some time working on it just so that he could actually take a step or two into it.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Excuse me as I geek out for a moment but last night I was in the park with Gwyren and my roommate and we saw the Ward Kimball and it was pulling a caboose after its regular cars! As if it wasn't enough to see the Ward in person, but a caboose too! Just like a regular train!! So, of course I had to ride it, and they were nice enough to wait a few trains 'til it came around again and not laugh at me as I totally had a few geeky moments once we were on. (Right guys? Guys? ... guys? )

Anyway, it's an enclosed car and it was nice and plush inside with a cushioned bench along each side. There was a little room in back that almost looked like a (miniature) sleeper car. I didn't really take any inside pics but I took a few of the outside which I'll post when my roommate gets them to me

Only slightly geeky. Only slightly.

Not geeking out at all... that's awesome! How were the crowds yesterday, BTW? Excuse my ignorance, but will there be two or three trains running this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren
    Only slightly geeky. Only slightly.

There were three trains running yesterday. I got to the park later in the day, and it was pretty crowded but not overbearing. Wait times weren't too TOO bad... Other than the usual! Pooh did have a 15 minute wait though!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Regarding the Lilly Belle, you can't find some nice photos and information here... though it appears that it's slightly out of date.
    http://waltstoytrains.railfan.net/lilly.htm
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Pretty train car. They should restore it and allow the public to enter that train.

• Closed Account

The caboose, car 208, trails the Holiday Red, in the "200" series of cars, which are made up of ersatz stock cars and gondolas. It is an original piece of Disneyland Railroad equipment, built back in '55. I don't believe it has ever been dettached from the rest of the train (since the device that registers the speed of the train to the tachometer in the engine's cab is on the car, it is kind of important to have it along for the ride).

The word "caboose" is often used incorrectly by Disney and other writers, in describing the Lilly Belle. A caboose is a car that railroad crewman would travel in to keep tabs on the train (through the cupola look-out on the roof), and use as living and office quarters.

The Lilly Belle (car 106--retaining her number from the days when she was the "Grand Canyon" in 1955) is a passenger car, more precisely termed a parlor or observation car.

While both cars appear at the end of trains, the Lilly Belle is not a caboose.

The Caboose is often open to riders, but may depend on the will of the conductor asked. It is a fun ride, although folks aren't allowed in the cupola (the section described above as a "sleeper" section).

The Lilly Belle is still awaiting a complete rebuild. Most folks will never get to ride it--it is reserved for dignitaries and other VIPs.

• Social Imagineer

Thanks for the true RR low-down we can always rely on you for, Steve.

Ah, the fond memories I have of riding in the Lilly Belle once upon a time. Le Sigh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast