• SuperDork

Making Tomorrowland innovative

It seems to me, that as a child (in the early 70's) tomorrowland did have a *futuristic* feel. Out of curiousity, what do you believe disney could/should do to really make tomorrowland feel like a glimpse into tomorrow? The 22nd century house of the future? A journey through a human genome? Cool use of gesture technology in a restaurant setting, etc.? What latest discoveries/technologies would you like to see highlighted?

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

Re: Making Tomorrowland innovative

all of those. and the real future of travel, maybe even further into the future than hybrid and alternate fuels.... like hover, or Minority Report cars...
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

EPCOT kind of seems to be the one taking over the real ideas, whereas TL though still enjoyable is becoming more sci-fi nostalgia themed. I would like more space stuff, but most people don't think about space realistically anymore. They could go more into communicatons technologies. It would be really easy to get a sponser for that if they needed one. You can't go wrong with transportation either, even if it's not to space.

I don't think that making Tomorrowland look exactly like it did before the 90's is the answer. I kind of like what they're doing right now: keeping what worked from Tomorrowland 98, while bringing back what was important about Tomorrowland 67. I especially like the new blue&white with a touch of gold color scheme that they've been giving Tomorrowland as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
    like hover, or Minority Report cars...
    Yes! Hover cars! I've got to believe that the Imagineers can figure out a way to make the autiopia cars hover and still be tethered to the track.

Aside from that, there just need to be more holograms. Hovercars and holograms people! This is what our future was supposed to be. Don't give up on the dream!

• Rawr...

I think holograms would be pretty cool. Not those cheesey hologram pictures on walls, but free-standing, moving holograms! Straight up Star Wars style, folks! If innovative enough, you could even have meet-n-greets with holograms of Star Wars characters, just like the movies! Woo!

"This is my apprentice... Darth Maul."
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• DL Nerd

I would rather feel Like I'm in the frontier when I'm in Frontierland....

but..... as to not hijack the topic.... I think a Space ride like the one @ epcot would be cool where it seems you are blasting off. Mission: SPACE.

<EDIT> it seems like this is just an average motion sim..... Modify it and it could be cool... Motion sims are getting old and Star Tours already covers it.
    Last edited by Junthor; 09-26-2007 at 08:44 AM.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• potterday.org

And for crying out loud...

WHERE IS MY FLYING CAR!!??

(Nyuk nyuk)
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

More robots too. More!

• Digging to Earth's center

This would easily and greatly fix Tomorrowland:

- Futuristic space travel (meaning actually LIFE in space, like people living on the Moon or Mars, or actual take-off to land on Mars or something more than just a "race in space" as Space Mountain has it)
    - Time travel
    - Futuristic underwater voyage (underwater cities, discovering the lost continent of Atlantis)
    - Miniturization... I'd be happy with either shrinking to the size of the atom, or shrinking to the size of a blood cell and swimming inside the human body.
    - Futuristic atmosphere conditions, such as weather control

Those are some themes I'm dying to see, but know it probably won't happen...
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

I'll chime in on this topic again:

Yes, tomorrowland should be a showcase for the future. Despite the fact that the present eventually catches up, they should aim for the future and keep updating the place as things progress.

I've mentioned them before in other similar threads, but a few of the ideas I'd like to see are:

1) Flying cars. Yes, it's high time we had them.
    2) Nanotechnology. Let's have an "Adventure through Inner Space" type thing, but this time covering nanotechnology, maybe used in medicine. It could be a trip through a human body as nano-docs repair tissues, administer medicine, analyze body processes, excise tumors or viruses, etc.
    3) Demonstrations of incredibly strong structures formed from carbon nanotubes and such molecular-level materials manufacturing. Huge, tall, lengthy buildings or bridges made strong but lightweight.
    4) Teleportation. What the heck, toss in some Trek tech.

There are a gazillion ideas out there waiting to be showcased.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by jenlynn View Post
    It seems to me, that as a child (in the early 70's) tomorrowland did have a *futuristic* feel. Out of curiousity, what do you believe disney could/should do to really make tomorrowland feel like a glimpse into tomorrow?
    It depends on what type of futurism you were looking for.

If you wanted Tomorrowland to be a complete and realistic representation of future technologies, than a lot of the storytelling rides like Buzz, Space, Star Tours, and Nemo would have to go. Then you could build exhibits that could showcase genetics and biology and computer sciences in a realistic way.

Or, you can go with a more fantasy inspired future based on technology that doesn't exist such as time travel and shrinking machines and flying cars. Technologies that may not be realistic or practical in any way, but still create an idea of a futurescape.

They are two fundamentally different possibilities for Tomrorowland. Which would you rather see?

• Suspended

How about Mad Max-like? Or Terminator-like?