Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Reaver of Souls

Re: Fantasy Waters...What's Up???

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Why would anyone stay at the Disneyland Hotel? There's not much anything of interest left to the place.
    I've never stayed there, but it used to be a nice place to go and walk after an day at the park, or just some random evening...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Perhaps you have not seen Disney miniature golf courses? The two at WDW are amazing and VERY magical. I'll take Fantasmic! and whatever water show they eventually get over Paradise Bay and a fun miniature golf course over Fantasy Waters. However, I do agree that the DLH is in no way worth the cost of staying there...they charge wdw's deluxe resort prices for less-than-deluxe accomodations. It's time for some new, nicer hotels to keep me away from the Good Neighbor Hotels, Disney.
    Just an observation - I find it ironic that at WDW (where there are acres of open land) they're complaining about new hotels being built, and here in CA (where we have NO space whatsoever!) people complain that they want more. Just an interesting contrast.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Ooooooo, that's right. I did hear something about a possible Miniature Golf Course being a replacement for the FW show. Altho I enjoyed the FW show (formally known as the Dancing Waters), I love the idea of the mini golf course being installed. I hope if Disney decides to do this, that they will make it really awesome!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Mini golf is fun - it could be pretty neat. I never saw the Fantasy Waters.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Just an observation - I find it ironic that at WDW (where there are acres of open land) they're complaining about new hotels being built, and here in CA (where we have NO space whatsoever!) people complain that they want more. Just an interesting contrast.
    I don't complain about there being too many hotels at WDW. Occupancy rates are high, so they are doing exactly what they ought to be, and anyone who has stayed at a WDW Resort Hotel knows that they know how to make nice hotels out there. I have never been all that impressed at the DLR's Hotels. They are pretty dull looking to me, and even the Grand Californian pales when compared to WDW's deluxe resorts, and that is completely needless. They could have built something much nicer. I don't think Fantasy Waters was that big of a deal: enjoyable, but it didn't attract huge crowds or anything. I think more guest value would come from miniature golf, where you can spend a couple hours outside of the park (as opposed to watching water for 15 minutes). It's little additions like this that will make the DLR more of a resort, and people more likely to book packages that include these extra perks. That being said, the grounds at each of the Resorts could use some work, as they are nothing spectacular. Just about the only thing that really shines in my eyes is the Never Land Pool, which is very neat looking.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

What are the mini golf courses like?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Former Epcot CM

Quite imaginative actually, very fun. I prefer the Winter Summerland at Blizzard Beach to the Fantasia Gardens a lot more.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Wonderful World

How are they gonna but a mini gol course there its really small
    I'm back MiceChat

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Thats what I was wondering

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

This isn't the only thing they are removing, folks. Enjoy the waterfalls and koi ponds while you can Though there will be waterfalls in the golf course, too, I'm sure.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

Pirateslife4me1984 is right that the current Disneyland hotels are boring compared with the wonderful theming of WDW. It is amazing that Disney did not understand that Southern California has had more whimsy in design than the East Coast. I don't think that those hotels really reflect a California design.

A miniature golf course is a great idea of the 1960's. Then, someone DID build a miniature golf course right next to Disneyland. It did not do well, however and had to close. I just think there are more creative ideas that could be done. Fantasy waters is one element to a redesign.

Why not add things to Downtown Disney that both hotel and outside guests can enjoy? How about an interactive theater experience like the Adventurer's Club? How about a Disney Quest? At the hotel they used to have some boats that you could ride in. What about a carriage ride with horses? They could put in a small island and then put a restaurant in the middle. Boats could go around it by day. They then could have a water show at night. On the outer edge, they the carriage ride with the horses. Then you could have most of all those. Make the Disneyland Hotel the theme of Mary Popins, with the Edwardian style. It would make that hotel a lot more fun (and Disney!)
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    This isn't the only thing they are removing, folks. Enjoy the waterfalls and koi ponds while you can Though there will be waterfalls in the golf course, too, I'm sure.
    Taking out FW was bad enough. If they take out those waterfalls, I'm gonna lose it!!!

• Minion

I remember when i was 11 or so i went to see the special Christmas show there. I loved it personally. It was like the water show at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, but with music, lights and it really was an awsome experience.

[QUOTE= It is amazing that Disney did not understand that Southern California has had more whimsy in design than the East Coast. I don't think that those hotels really reflect a California design.

A miniature golf course is a great idea of the 1960's. Then, someone DID build a miniature golf course right next to Disneyland. It did not do well, however and had to close. I just think there are more creative ideas that could be done. Fantasy waters is one element to a redesign.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that there is historically more whimsy in respect to Googie and California Crazy architecture, however, let's put it in perspective. The Disneyland Hotel was built during periods where surrounding area hotels and motels were doing the "roadside attraction" thing, i.e., Candy Cane, Heidi, the Stovall's Space Age, Atomic Age, etc. The Disneyland Hotel was the classy alternate, the "higher quality" experience. The Paradise Pier Hotel was originally a chain hotel. The Grand Californian is the opportunity Disney had to build from ground up.

Miniature golf was actually something that was quite popular during the twenties, and the golf park across from Disneyland operated for at least a couple of decades. It wasn't so much it not doing well as much as falling victim to the "resort-tation" of the area.

I really enjoyed the Fantasy Waters, but if the same effort is put into miniature golf here as they put into Fantasia Gardens in Florida, I don't think too many folks will be disappointed. I'd love if they could incorporate the waterfalls & koi ponds or just leave them well enough alone.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Rumors say that it will return this summer but after what they did to it, it doesnt look like it will ever return, The first time they refurbished the hotel they did the same thing to Fantasy waters but you never know! exspecially with Disney!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12