Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Future Indy Castmember

Anyone know why Pirates was closed?

Today for at least 11 hours? I came in at 9AM to find PTC closed and not opening up until 2 hours before the first Fantasmic!. Did the storm did anything to it?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Re: Anyone know why Pirates was closed?

It isn't even noon yet...
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• A Pirate's life for me!

I'm just guessing, but maybe there was a new leak in the roof.

Remember the plastic tarp hanging from the ceiling for quite some time last year?

They (supposedly) repaired the leak when they did the Jack Sparrow addition.

At least the tarps were removed when it reopened.

Maybe the repair didn't stop the leak???

• Senior Minion

I was wondering the same thing myself, but I wasn't aware of the leak in the roof previously.

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    I'm just guessing, but maybe there was a new leak in the roof.

Remember the plastic tarp hanging from the ceiling for quite some time last year?

They (supposedly) repaired the leak when they did the Jack Sparrow addition.

At least the tarps were removed when it reopened.

Maybe the repair didn't stop the leak???
    Are you referring to the leak in the roof in the queue area? The one just past the parrot and map? The one caused the the fountain in the former gallery? I know that one hasn't been completely fixed, as they thought they had done during the refurb, because last time I visited Pirates it dripped on me.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

A leak in the roof...

Seems to me that POTC is going to require similar structural upgrades that IASW is getting next year...

• A Pirate's life for me!

The leak that I was referring to was in the ride, past the jail cell scene while you went under the smoldering beams and rafters. The tarps were hanging from the ceiling above the rafters and you could clearly see them (if you looked up). They were there for quite some time.

Someone here even posted pics of the tarps.

Again, I'm just guessing, and it certainly could be a new leak somewhere else.

But being closed for quite a few hours during the first rain storm kind of smells like a leak of some sorts.

• DL is my anti-drug.

Yeah I was really bummed that it was closed all day. We left before it opened.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

We were on it last night. We were approaching the lift hill at the end and we noticed leaks dripping down from a beam high above. It almost seemed intentional because the leaks lined up perfectly with the base of the lift hill. These were large drips too. As we were being pulled up the lift hill to the left of us in the Jack Sparrow scene we saw major leaks pouring onto the treasure scene there too.

When we got off of the ride we notified a CM.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• ...lurks...

It was a leak, if you looked you could still see it there when the ride did finally open. Towards the end of the ride — it wasn't the usual leak we see in the scene with the pirate skeletons drinking and playing 'eternal chess', nor the 'smoldering beams' section.

They had closed it because they could not find the source of the leak. It seemed to be mostly under control when they opened, so maybe the found the source?
    Last edited by shadow; 09-23-2007 at 10:14 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    We were on it last night. We were approaching the lift hill at the end and we noticed leaks dripping down from a beam high above. It almost seemed intentional because the leaks lined up perfectly with the base of the lift hill. These were large drips too. As we were being pulled up the lift hill to the left of us in the Jack Sparrow scene we saw major leaks pouring onto the treasure scene there too.

When we got off of the ride we notified a CM.
    That's what was happening when it re-opened last night.

Hope everything is ok...

I wasn't working Pirates yesterday, but heard all about it from friends who were working that ride, and saw much of the fix-it response backstage.

Pirates was closed when the Park opened at 8:00 am and didn't open until 7:00 pm. The downtime was caused by a massive leak in the building in the Arsenal Scene, the final scene you see just before you go up the lift. The half inch of rain we got overnight all collected on the giant flat roof of Show Building One because the drains were all clogged. Roofs were full of water all over the park as all the drains were clogged, but on Pirates' Building One the clogged water found an opening caused by the construction work on the Dreams Suite in the former Disney Gallery. All that water seeped down into the building until it finally found an exit.... right above the boat path in the Arsenal Scene.

The opening Saturday crew arrived at the ride to find a genuine waterfall cascading down into the Arsenal Scene right on top of where the boats pass. It took hours to patch the hole in the roof, and the additional heavy rain that moved in just before Noon didn't help things.

Once the hole was patched and the drainage restored, it took several more hours as maintenance crawled all through the building trying to vacuum and sweep standing water out of flat spaces and collection points in and around that part of the ride. They even cut holes in the walls of the hallways surrounding the "underground" kitchens, offices and CM cafeteria under New Orleans Square. I could still see the holes in the walls backstage this morning.

Finally, in the early evening, the waterfall had slowed to just some dripping. A boat was sent with management in it, with Pirates CM's filling in the extra rows. And when they made it through that section with only a few drops landing on them it was decided it would be okay to open the ride since the Guests were getting very, very testy about the 12 hour closure out front and at City Hall.

That's the basic rundown on Pirates. And while props should go out to the maintenance guys who busted their tails to get the big mess fixed, I do have to wonder why Disneyland is never prepared for rain like this. Every year, every single year, when the first rain of the season comes in there are roof leaks all over the place. And it's almost always caused or worsened by clogged up drains full of leaves and pine needles and gunk. The leaks cause physical damage to facilities and property, and very often create closures and downtimes that inconvenience the paying Guests. This rain had been forecasted for days, and since it was in September it was making the headlines of all the papers and TV news programs. So why not send some guys up to the roofs to sweep out the drains and gutters and be prepared for it?

We do this sort of thing every year, and it always causes some sort of problem. This year it caused an 11 hour downtime on Pirates on a Saturday, and so everyone was aware of it. But really, you would think that gutter and drain cleaning before a well publicized and thoroughly forecasted rain storm would be something Disneyland maintenance would be prepared for.
    Last edited by Westsider; 09-23-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Let's not talk about the line that formed when they did open. Right in the middle of Fantasmic!'s B-section!

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Wow... thanks for that insider information.
    I agree that Disneyland maintenence should better prepare for these issues...
    It must have been a sight to see that waterfall, though.
    <3 Chloe

• DL is my anti-drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    I wasn't working Pirates yesterday, but heard all about it from friends who were working that ride, and saw much of the fix-it response backstage.

Pirates was closed when the Park opened at 8:00 am and didn't open until 7:00 pm. The downtime was caused by a massive leak in the building in the Arsenal Scene, the final scene you see just before you go up the lift. The half inch of rain we got overnight all collected on the giant flat roof of Show Building One because the drains were all clogged. Roofs were full of water all over the park as all the drains were clogged, but on Pirates' Building One the clogged water found an opening caused by the construction work on the Dreams Suite in the former Disney Gallery. All that water seeped down into the building until it finally found an exit.... right above the boat path in the Arsenal Scene.

The opening Saturday crew arrived at the ride to find a genuine waterfall cascading down into the Arsenal Scene right on top of where the boats pass. It took hours to patch the hole in the roof, and the additional heavy rain that moved in just before Noon didn't help things.

Once the hole was patched and the drainage restored, it took several more hours as maintenance crawled all through the building trying to vacuum and sweep standing water out of flat spaces and collection points in and around that part of the ride. They even cut holes in the walls of the hallways surrounding the "underground" kitchens, offices and CM cafeteria under New Orleans Square. I could still see the holes in the walls backstage this morning.

Finally, in the early evening, the waterfall had slowed to just some dripping. A boat was sent with management in it, with Pirates CM's filling in the extra rows. And when they made it through that section with only a few drops landing on them it was decided it would be okay to open the ride since the Guests were getting very, very testy about the 12 hour closure out front and at City Hall.

That's the basic rundown on Pirates. And while props should go out to the maintenance guys who busted their tails to get the big mess fixed, I do have to wonder why Disneyland is never prepared for rain like this. Every year, every single year, when the first rain of the season comes in there are roof leaks all over the place. And it's almost always caused or worsened by clogged up drains full of leaves and pine needles and gunk. The leaks cause physical damage to facilities and property, and very often create closures and downtimes that inconvenience the paying Guests. This rain had been forecasted for days, and since it was in September it was making the headlines of all the papers and TV news programs. So why not send some guys up to the roofs to sweep out the drains and gutters and be prepared for it?

We do this sort of thing every year, and it always causes some sort of problem. This year it caused an 11 hour downtime on Pirates on a Saturday, and so everyone was aware of it. But really, you would think that gutter and drain cleaning before a well publicized and thoroughly forecasted rain storm would be something Disneyland maintenance would be prepared for.

Man that stinks.
    All I know is that my Girlfriend was VERY sad becuase she hadn't been to Disneyland in two years and Pirates was the one ride she wanted to ride, been hearing about it all week lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast