Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

goin' to disneyland, by public trans ;)

Hey y'all. So...my car is in the shop at the moment, but I wanted to join the festivities at the park on the 17th. As I'm heading down to the park on the 16th to stay with friends at hotels...I was wondering...

what's the best way to get to Disneyland from Hollywood via public transportation this Saturday? I want to leave Hollywood around 8PM or so...

I noticed on MTA's site that there's a bus, but it takes like, freakin' almost 3 hours to get there, which is insane. It looks like it would only take a little over an hour using the red line, and switching to the blue line rails. But how far is the blue line rail Anaheim stop from Disneyland?

Sure, I could take a Taxi the whole way but the $70 or so seems a little insane (kind of like waiting all night in DCA instead of waking up nice and early, normally, and heading into the park for its 50th birthday).

Any advice?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: goin' to disneyland, by public trans ;)

My cousin caught the bus last year from Hollywood, and it brought her to DL bus stop in a little over an hour. You should be able to find a faster bus than 3 hrs.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Still lost in Neverland

I take MTA everytime I go to Disneyland and I come from Van Nuys. There is no difference in taking the bus or the trains and here is why. The blue line makes a stop at Rosa Parks Station and you have to go upstairs and catch the Eastbound Green Line and take that all the way to the end. Then go upstairs and wait for the 460 bus to Disneyland. That means, you have to take the Red Line, then the Blue Line, then the Green Line then the 460 bus whose last stop is Harbor Blvd at the Disneyland Entrance.

Now, this is what I used to do but since last June, the MTA made a major change in all the bus lines, including the 460. The easiest way is now to take the Red Line to the 7th street stop, go upstairs as if you are going to Platfrom 2 of the blue line, but leave the building at street level on 7th/Figuroa streets. Head East on 7th one block and the 460 makes a stop there (Flower and 7th). It will cost you regular fare ($1.25) plus a $1 fee for entering Orange County and a $1 fee for travel on the freeway. The bus makes 4 more stops in downtown LA, if anyone is waiting to get on or off, then it gets on the Harbor Freeway South and uses the "High Occupancy Lane" all the way to the 105.

There are only three stops on the Harbor Freeway and at that hour of the morning (did I mention that in order to get to Disneyland before 8am, you have to catch the 6:20 bus at 7th and Flower?) The bus then goes East on the 105 freeway with no stops (in the diamond lane) until it gets off at the Green Line Park and Ride station to pick up passengers. It then uses a local route, some freeway, more surface streets through Buena Park to Knotts, then a Park and Ride then the I5 to Disneyland. It now only takes about 2 hours You just reverse everything gong home. I read and listen to my MP3 player and the time just goes by really fast. You stay on the bus, so there is no going out in the cold air to wait for more trains and you end up catching the same bus as you would if you rode the trains. And the trains have a lot of unsavory types, especially the Blue Line, at that hour of the morning. It's much "Safer" on the bus. The only other way is Amtrack which has limtied runs on weekends, costs $9.00 one way and stops a mile or more away from the Park, so you end up taking a local OCT bus over to Disneyland, and those trains stop running at 9pm, so there goes the fireworks.

It's not as bad as it sounds if you bring a book (I read most of the Harry Potter books this way) and something to listen too. It makes the trip go really fast. If you go with someone else, you have a lot of time to talk about Disneyland on the way there, and discuss what happened while you were there on the way home.

I will be doing this Saturday Morning the 16th. I get the Red Line around 5:30am at the North Hollywood Station and then take the bus from 7th and Flower. Go to MTA.com for maps and schedules. The 460 is the Disneyland Express. You need one of these to plan the trip home in order to catch the bus (at the same place you get off when you arrive. It makes a big circle around the area and catches the I5 Norht just North of Disneyland) so you can make the Red Line West before it closes around 1am depending on where you catch it. The schedules for the Red Line would also be helpful for planning in reverse.

If you have any speicfic questions, PM me and I will help in any way I can. I have been doing this since 1995 when I stopped driving, so I know the routes by heart and do it at least once or twice a month.

I hope this long answer helps.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Sorry Druggas, there is no bus to Disneyland from Hollywood. The only MTA bus that goes to Disneyland is the 460 Disneyland Express and it takes 2 hours from Downtown LA. The only other thing I can think of is your cousin took a special hotel bus from Hollywood, or the special bus from Universal to Disneyland that they ran last year. With no stops and freeway all the way, that could be done in about an hour. But limited to taking the MTA, the only choice is the 460 from Downtown LA. It also makes a stop near Pershing Square, but at 6:15 am that is a very scary place to be.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• CM for 4 years!

I recommend taking the Metrolink, if you can. You'll have to leave a little earlier, and find a way to Union Station, but once you're on the train, it's an easy 20 minutes to get to the Anaheim station, which is right next to Angel Stadium. Surely one of your friends could pick you up from there? If not, I could look into finding out if there's a bus. There should be, since they encourage cast members to use a clean air commute to work.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/
    http://www.octa.net/
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

I said Amtrack in my first post, and I meant Amtrack. You can take the Red Line to Union Station and then find the Amtrack Train to Anahiem. And it is faster but is more expensive and closes early on weekends. The MTA is not all that bad.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Metrolink is terrific. The Orange County Transit Authority operates a complimentary shuttle that waits at Anaheim Station for the train to arrive.

The shuttle is a small bus used mostly by Disney employees, so it is immaculate and quite pleasant.

The station is about a mile away from Disneyland, and the shuttle provides express service to three stops at Disneyland: the pedestrian entrance on Harbor Boulevard; Team Disney, Anaheim; and, the backside of the Disneyland Hotel.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic information everyone!

Are there any safety tips that any of you would like to give about the stops or stations involved?
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Metrolink is terrific. The Orange County Transit Authority operates a complimentary shuttle that waits at Anaheim Station for the train to arrive.

The shuttle is a small bus used mostly by Disney employees, so it is immaculate and quite pleasant.

The station is about a mile away from Disneyland, and the shuttle provides express service to three stops at Disneyland: the pedestrian entrance on Harbor Boulevard; Team Disney, Anaheim; and, the backside of the Disneyland Hotel.
    Whoa my gosh, I didn't even know about this!! I wanna start riding the Metrolink to work now. The station is only like three miles from my house. It'll really save some miles on my car!!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Where do you work?

If you work for Walt Disney, The Company will subsidize your rail fare by half and will pay you an additional monetary incentive on top of that for using a low-emission mode of transportation.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-13-2005 at 09:57 PM.

I cannot speak about Hollywood. The Metro Red Line subway is operated by the M.T.A., which is not affiliated with Metrolink. One would need to transfer at Union Station, which is an interesting and worthwhile historical landmark in downtown Los Angeles.

I have heard that the subway has a completely different clientele than the commuters in business suits who normally fill Metrolink trains, but I have never ridden any of L.A.'s light rail transit to verify that information.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-15-2005 at 09:38 AM.

Wow! Thanks for all the great info, but now I'm a little confused. According to the Metrolink website, it doesn't run on weekends, except for the VERY early morning. Is this true? Perhaps it will be Amtrack for me

Checked the Amtrak website. Actually, it looks kind of fun, and I can take a train as late as 10:10PM Sat night (and it's only 41 minutes!).

Now I'm sure I can get a ride if really needed from the station to Disneyland...but...just wondering.... is there a shuttle to Disneyland from the AMTRAK station to the park? If so....what a cool way to get to Disneyland!! Especially if there was traffic on the I5! It might even be FASTER!! (Of course it is $10)

There is a sign at the curb at Anaheim Station that says something about a special shuttle for Amtrak passengers to Disneyland, but I have no other information.

You may want to contact Amtrak or Disneyland to learn whether or not a shuttle runs. I would be interested in knowing, myself. Metrolink is a really enjoyable way to visit Disneyland. My only complaint is that the service does not run trains as frequently on most of its lines as I would like.

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

MTA light rail is scary. The blue line takes you right through south central LA!! it's cheap, and that early it reminds me of taking the subway in new york. Lots of homeless people sleeping, people going to work. It's unattended, so no one checks to see if you've paid, but there's no security either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast