View Poll Results: Jungle Book overlay to the Jungle Cruise?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do a temporary Jungle Boat overlay, for the 40th anniversary of the movie

    17 17.00%
  • Make a permanent Jungle Book Cruise, replace and add to the animatronics with Jungle Book characters

    7 7.00%
  • Replace and update some of the animatronics but keep the original storyline the same

    36 36.00%
  • Theme it to the "Jungle Cruise Movie"

    2 2.00%
  • Don't make any changes, I like it just fine.

    47 47.00%
  • I'd rather see more walk-thrus, drain it and remove it, reuse the space for more adventures.

    2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 157
  1. #16

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Considering the Jungle Cruise film is reportedly set in present-day, I don't see the film doing particularly well, and if the film tanks, we won't see any attraction updates.

    The Jungle Cruise attraction is set in, what, the 1930s? The film should similarly be a period film, like Pirates is. Setting attraction films in the present-day, when the source material is NOT in the present-day, is what eventually leads to their demise (see: Country Bears, Haunted Mansion).
    I agree, the movie sounds like it's off to a rocky start. Sounds more "Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion" than "Johnny Depp Pirates of the Caribbean."

  2. #17

    • Fighter Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAN DIEGO
    Posts
    825

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Considering the Jungle Cruise film is reportedly set in present-day, I don't see the film doing particularly well, and if the film tanks, we won't see any attraction updates.

    The Jungle Cruise attraction is set in, what, the 1930s? The film should similarly be a period film, like Pirates is. Setting attraction films in the present-day, when the source material is NOT in the present-day, is what eventually leads to their demise (see: Country Bears, Haunted Mansion).



    what part of "loosely based" dont' you understand? They mentioned that like day one



    not to mention its said to be set in the 20th century not 21st....so not that present

  3. #18

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    If they're going to invest in upgrading them, it might be more entertaining to see the Jungle Book characters and tell one cohesive story with a soundtrack and everything.
    Why must every attraction be force-feeding us a story.

    Frankly, I'm tired of all of the attractions that force a story upon us. Tony Baxter's Imagineering needs to chill out with their propaganda about all Disney attraction having a story. It's simply untrue and unnecessary.

    Can't we just have a WED Imagineering and Marc Davis'-style classic "experience ride" every now and then?

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  4. #19

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    I agree that the Jungle Cruise could use some updating in technology, like they have done with Haunted Mansion. We did get water explosions and piranha for the 50th. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing.

    There was also a proposal to have the boats use a motion base (like a water friendly Indy base) which could make it seem that you were entering rapids or being rammed by a hippo, etc. That would have been a nice touch without ruining the spirit of the ride.

    I've also thought that they could automate the ride a bit more by having it narrated by an animatronic shrunken head who always delivers the spiel perfectly. Wouldn't require as many cast members and would resolve the problem of bad skippers (and there are quite a few of those out there - especially at Disneyland).
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  5. #20

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    what part of "loosely based" dont' you understand? They mentioned that like day one
    Loosely-based doesn't mean they have to completely change time periods. Why do you think Adventureland is so innteresting and evocative? Because it takes us to a different place and time.

    Country Bears and Haunted Mansion failed to take movie-goers to a different place and time like their attraction counterparts did. That, and a reliance on "family-friendly" slapstick humor is what led to their box office failures.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  6. #21

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Right now it's:

    "OH Gosh, there's WATER BUFFALOS!"

    "There's a hippopotamus, [insert corny joke HERE!] folks."

    "Look at that pack of lions by the sleeping zebra."

    Yawn. The reason the tradition of jokester skippers evolved, is it is literally too simplistic to say "Look, a tiger." "Oh, it's a zebra being slaughtered by lions." etc. all day long.

  7. #22

    • Fighter Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAN DIEGO
    Posts
    825

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Loosely-based doesn't mean they have to completely change time periods. Why do you think Adventureland is so innteresting and evocative? Because it takes us to a different place and time.

    Country Bears and Haunted Mansion failed to take movie-goers to a different place and time like their attraction counterparts did. That, and a reliance on "family-friendly" slapstick humor is what led to their box office failures.


    its still about being in the amazon searchgn for a cure...last I checked there isn't a mall in the amazon so how can you really date it since I doubt the cast will wear Nike and Adaias athletic clothing. But not our fault everyone is so closed minded which is pretty sad

  8. #23

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Smile Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Why must every attraction be force-feeding us a story.
    ...And don't spend your time lookin' around
    For something you want that can't be found
    When you find out you can live without it
    And go along not thinkin' about it
    I'll tell you something true

    The bare necessities of life will come to you...

  9. #24

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    its still about being in the amazon searchgn for a cure...last I checked there isn't a mall in the amazon so how can you really date it since I doubt the cast will wear Nike and Adaias athletic clothing. But not our fault everyone is so closed minded which is pretty sad
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are GPS systems, cell phones, and possibly lap tops in the film.

    That's how you can date the film.


    It isn't that I'm closed-minded for this, but based on other Disney attraction-based films set in present-day, I don't think it's out of line to be wary of thinking this will be a great film.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  10. #25

    • Shenanigans.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    I've GOT IT! I have the solution! Tie the Jungle Cruise into "A BUGS LIFE" and the story will revolve around going into the Amazon in search of a rare cancer curing Pixar Bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

  11. #26

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I agree that the Jungle Cruise could use some updating in technology, like they have done with Haunted Mansion. We did get water explosions and piranha for the 50th. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing.

    There was also a proposal to have the boats use a motion base (like a water friendly Indy base) which could make it seem that you were entering rapids or being rammed by a hippo, etc. That would have been a nice touch without ruining the spirit of the ride.

    I've also thought that they could automate the ride a bit more by having it narrated by an animatronic shrunken head who always delivers the spiel perfectly. Wouldn't require as many cast members and would resolve the problem of bad skippers (and there are quite a few of those out there - especially at Disneyland).
    Thanks for jumping in there. You seem to agree with my criticisms of the current attraction without endorsing a Jungle Book overlay.

    One thing that pops to mind is if you automate the ride, do you have a problem with sending that many guests so far back into the 'jungle' without supervision? What happens if a crazy lady starts kicking you (happened recently to someone on MiceChat) or someone has a medical problem and they're midway through the ride.

  12. #27

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thanks for jumping in there. You seem to agree with my criticisms of the current attraction without endorsing a Jungle Book overlay.

    One thing that pops to mind is if you automate the ride, do you have a problem with sending that many guests so far back into the 'jungle' without supervision? What happens if a crazy lady starts kicking you (happened recently to someone on MiceChat) or someone has a medical problem and they're midway through the ride.
    The same could really be said for Pirates or Small World which last even longer. I suppose if you used a motion base, it would be enough reason to put all the seats facing forward and at least use a lap belt.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  13. #28

    • DL Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    This is rich!

    Why am I the only one here allowed to disagree with you? Several posters disagreed with you before I even unholtsted my Colt .45s.

    But I am flattered that my opinions have so much effect on you!

    OH MY GOSH.... Steve DeGaetano posted right before I did!!!!!


    Bookmark!!! Bookmark!!!!


    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney


  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,649

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thanks for jumping in there. You seem to agree with my criticisms of the current attraction without endorsing a Jungle Book overlay.

    One thing that pops to mind is if you automate the ride, do you have a problem with sending that many guests so far back into the 'jungle' without supervision? What happens if a crazy lady starts kicking you (happened recently to someone on MiceChat) or someone has a medical problem and they're midway through the ride.
    The ride could definitely use some more "Plussing" like interactive elements triggered from the boat, like the Elephant Pool times 10. Or build the effect into the boat or the guide rail, like a shaker system so you think a Hippo is ramming the boat from below...

    And they could add some much more realistic AA's with more range of motion and emotion layered on top of the basic mechanisms - anyone who believes that "The Lost Expedition" are real jungle explorers being chased up a real tree by a real rhino really needs to have their eyeglasses' prescription checked...

    That said, they do NOT need to have a "Jungle Book" or "Winnie the Pooh" overlay, or anything else abstract and absurd done - the Skippers can easily make plenty of Funny out of what they've got with a themed series of Jungle Book or Winnie jokes if they want.

    (And the Managers need to lighten up the rules on the scripts just a tad - If the jokes are funny and following a theme and a cohesive direction, it's funny. The WFJC "Sells" Funny. No Manager should be critiquing for a nebulous thing like "Is It Funny?" unless he's been a successful Skip - an un-funny person has no basis to judge funny from.)

    I can see a Skip who is a good voice mimic working up his own script and doing the entire cruise *as* Pooh Bear. "And there's a Crocodile - Oh, Bother..."

    If they have an incident on the ride, that's still what the Skip is there for - Fire off the emergency ammunition to get everyone's attention, and "All Ahead Emergency" back to the dock. Radio ahead and have the proper emergency personnel waiting. It's not like Pirates where they have plenty of places they can evacuate the boat to, there aren't too many places they can toss a gangplank out safely in the middle of the Jungle.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    Last edited by Bruce Bergman; 09-25-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph about emergencies
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  15. #30

    • Once A Skip Always A Skip
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tropic Rivers of Adventure
    Posts
    622

    Re: Jungle Book Cruise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I've also thought that they could automate the ride a bit more by having it narrated by an animatronic shrunken head who always delivers the spiel perfectly.
    Then it would efeectivly turn the Jungle Cruise into the Columbia, which IMO was much more entertaining when it was actually narrated by CM's, as opposed to the tired "Captain" narration. Part of the fun of Jungle Cruise for me even now, is the possibility of either getting a good skip or a bad one. The AA's are a little dated, but the experience harkens back to an era, when imaginations were encouraged, and we didn't need to have force fed sotrylines and soundtracks to keep us entertained.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jungle book attraction
    By startours1 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 07:47 PM
  2. Jungle Book Ride
    By Disneyfan4 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM
  3. Tree Vs Jungle Boat (Jungle Cruise Injury) merged x 3
    By Trident in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •