Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crowds around Christmas

Hello, my family is planning a trip to CA in December, and I already have 3-day park hopper passes for my wife and I and two boys (ages 6 and 8). We were at the park two years ago, in November, and I actually worked there summer of '92, and have visited many times, but never around Christmas.

So, the question is, how bad are the crowds then? I have heard they are pretty bad.

We will be getting in CA the day after Christmas, and then have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (New Years Day) to choose from to be in the parks. I am pretty sure we want to avoid New Years Eve and Day, right?

Are Saturday and Sunday worse during the Christmas season?

Also, I would like to eat at the Blue Bayou, (never done it before) and am wondering if I need to make reservations now, and if so, what is the number I call. Tried to find one but could not.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can afford.

• Fighter Pilot

Re: Crowds around Christmas

do the formula.... DL+Christmas=

Quote Originally Posted by DizneGreg View Post
    Hello, my family is planning a trip to CA in December, and I already have 3-day park hopper passes for my wife and I and two boys (ages 6 and 8). We were at the park two years ago, in November, and I actually worked there summer of '92, and have visited many times, but never around Christmas.

So, the question is, how bad are the crowds then? I have heard they are pretty bad.

We will be getting in CA the day after Christmas, and then have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (New Years Day) to choose from to be in the parks. I am pretty sure we want to avoid New Years Eve and Day, right?

Also, I would like to eat at the Blue Bayou, (never done it before) and am wondering if I need to make reservations now, and if so, what is the number I call. Tried to find one but could not.

Packed. Plan on very heavy crowds. I suggest using Ridemax and make sure to get your hand stamped if you exit. I would totally avoid New Years eve, but thats just me. It can hit capacity early.
    Janette

What's ridemax? Never heard of it.
    So, if the park fills up, your handstamp will always let you back in?

Christmas has the biggest crowds I have seen during my trips. Bigger than my last July trip by far.

• Circle of Ancients

Expect every day with the exception of New Years Day and the 2 hours after midnight on NYE (which is technically New Years Day) to be beyond busy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

My psychic inner eye tells me that on New Year's Day at exactly 1:34 pm the park will reach capacity.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Well, shucks, looks like I am just going to have to hope to get some Dream Fastpasses then.

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    My psychic inner eye tells me that on New Year's Day at exactly 1:34 pm the park will reach capacity.

last year it reached at 11am something

• Rock Star Minion

Yes. Worst crowds of the year, according to all reports.
    Eve, yes. Day, well if you get there early enough and don't stay up too late the night before, the park should be OK until about noon or so.
    It's all bad. Every day will likely fill to capacity (according to Fire Marshal's declaration). They're all above my threshold of comfort (which is pretty low).
    No idea. Someone here has the number. Disney.com will have the number. IMO, it's something you (and everyone) should try to do once.
    OK, I found it on Disney.com. So, you can find it, too. I'll provide it in about an hour if you can't find it in that time. (Fun and adventure, on the internet!)
    The help is free. You're welcome.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Expect every day with the exception of New Years Day and the 2 hours after midnight on NYE (which is technically New Years Day) to be beyond busy.
    Yes it's crowded, but there are different levels of crowded. For instance, last year "the 2 hours after midnight".....yes, some of the crowds dissipated, after the midnight countdown.....but the line for the monorail never went down (both sides!).

I remember waiting those two hours and kept waiting and thought certainly as it got closer to 2:00 am...the line would get shorter.....

..the only thing that got shorter was the time till closing.

Again, there's different gradations of crowds during that week. For instance: Dec 26 wasn't all that crowded in the morning or midday. (Everybody returning gifts at the mall?)

Dec 27-29: Absolutle zoo, morning noon and night, even early entry, suprisingly busy. Those three days are bedlam. Even if you manage to gain entry......you can't move. You made it through the gates, but how do you get from point A to point B ???? Challenging.

Dec 30: I thought that day, last year, was a bit lighter than the 3 days preceding it. It's almost like the 30th is the calm before the storm. But it's still very very crowded, just not quite the zoo like on the other prior days.

Dec 31: Zoo. No doubt about it. I believe I have a blurb in my trip report about how I spent that day last year, and I was in the Park from about 11:00 am, right up till closing. Stood right in front (great spot) of Sleeping Beauty Castle for the Midnight fireworks (don't get me started on that whole nightmare!)

I think I have the schedule for last year's NYE, somewhere. I'll try to find it and put it up.

I have been many times myself but not at Christmas,this year we will be there from Dec.21 thru 26th,I have read to make dinner reservations 60 days out so i am on that.Is it fun though I keep hearing about the crowds but noone has said they had a fabulous time,if anyone is going then let me know we will team up and have a riot,I will be wearing crystalized mouse ears!!!!

Definitely make reservations. And I'd make 'em sooner that later--today's a good start.

(714) 781-3463

And if I may make a suggestions--they open at 11:30, which is always a good time for a reservation. You get the cheaper lunch prices (well, not cheap, but less expensive than dinner) and are more likely to get a water seat without a long wait.

Red Face Re: Crowds around Christmas

Well, I guess I should expect the worst hopefully have my expectations lifted instead of trounced.

I will look up the phone number later, have to go work outside now.
    Thanks for the gloomy but realistic picture.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

If you can go the first couple of weeks in December (on the weekdays) it shouldn't be bad at all. It's just that horrible week between Christmas and New Years that will be miserable. That's the week when all the "out-of-the-loopers" think that no one else will be there besides them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast