• living to haunt

To Hammer or not to Hammer!

Dear Mice Chatters,
    You are all far more knowledgable than I am about the parks and the parks hotels. I just left a friends office and they just returned from WDW. They had rooms booked for one hotel, but when they arrived they were told that due to the construction of the "time share" rooms they had to close down part of the hotel. This was not due to tearing out that area, but because the people that had been booked in the area complained about the hammering, pounding, etc. all day long. They were moved to another hotel and were upgraded to a suite.
    Here is my question. We are booked at the Grand Californian from Dec. 10th through the 14th. We did this so we did not have to travel from the hotel to the park, and to give ourselves a special goodie we have never had before. I saw on another post that they are doing the same "time share" upgrades on GC. So can I call and ask if this is going to be a problem? Do I wait and see when we get there what happens? Or is the construction area of no real concern to anyone staying at the hotel itself.
    Thanks for the help!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: To Hammer or not to Hammer!

You can always call and ask about the situation.

And certainly if after you check into your room there is any objectionable noise, they'll do what they can to accomodate you.

Back when they were doing some refurb work to the exterior of the Hotel, one of the workers that was outside on a scaffold was looking into our room as my wife exited the shower/bathroom and was in the process of changing. He got an eyeful...

I didn't take too kindly to that.

Needless to say, our room was comp'ed for the WEEK.

Have a GREAT trip!

• "I Break Things"

In the event that the sound becomes annoying just toss in Hammer Time by MC Hammer, jump into some parachute pants and "groove" to the new beats!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• DCA lover

can't resist....
    it's....HAMMERTIME!!!
    Last edited by Hippie; 09-25-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: curses techskip for beating me to the "Hammer Time" comments!!

• Disney Starved in AZ

I'd only feel that this would be a problem during the week during early morning hours.

In May I stayed over on Katella next to where the Garden Walk parking garage was getting built and our room faced the construction. We only had problems one day and it was just noisy from maybe 6-7 am... we had to get up and on the road anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal - but it was really noisy. They weren't working over the weekend so it wasn't a problem then. If you are staying later in the year, it won't be light as early, so if you normally get up before 7 anyway I wouldn't see this as a factor unless you plan to stay ALL day in your hotel room! They certainly won't be working during normal sleep hours of say 10 pm to 6 am!

If it is bothersome, ask to be moved and figure you'll get an upgrade!

Personally, I'd worry more about a slightly windy day riding Mulholland with the excess dust in the air - since construction is right there!

• living to haunt

thanks everyone for your imput and thoughts. I just don't want to get there and have a bad start to our vacation. I think I will wait until the end of Nov. then give them a call and ask about all the construction. There are 9 of us in three rooms so it should be interesting.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

Yeah, call the hotel. To be honest, I don't think they're starting construction just yet. Don't they have a 2010 completion date or something like that?

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

The majority of the rooms on the side of the hotel that is undergoing construction are not being used, so you shouldn't have any problem with construction noise.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    The majority of the rooms on the side of the hotel that is undergoing construction are not being used, so you shouldn't have any problem with construction noise.
    Hmm, they should offer those rooms at a discount. I bet they'd have plenty of takers who'd tough out the construction...

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Hi can I have a room adjacent to the construction of the DVC wing please?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    can't resist....
    it's....HAMMERTIME!!!
    Can't touch this!!!
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

Talking Re: To Hammer or not to Hammer!

• Who's your DaddyB?

Better yet:

---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Gee, Pirate Mickey, you got the week comped? My Mom and daughter and I were staying at GCH when they were painting the exterior. I got up at 8:30 the morning we were going to leave and there were workers painting our balcony!! We were in our pj's, but still....when I went to the desk to ask them to get the guys off our balcony the only reply I got was "Aren't you checking out today?" Well, yes, but later!! They were on our balcony until we left at 11. I got the "eye roll" answer. My experience at that property has been very hit and miss.

Exclamation Re: To Hammer or not to Hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee D View Post
    My experience at that property has been very hit and miss.
    I agree... I've stayed there and have actually had much better service at Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier. Many other people feel the same way. GCH is just so over rated it's crazy IMO, and smaller rooms on top of that!

Again, just my opinion.
    -Wes